Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 15th April 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: The new 75mm 300mm mkII tested

Unfortunately any problems with BIF is probably down to the camera's AF rather than the lens, the Mk1 lens also focusses very fast but even when AF is acquired BIF images are often soft, shutter speed is not at fault as I have tried it up to 1/1600. On static subjects everything is good. It would be nice if the Mk2 avoids these problems but I don't expect it will.

David
Old 15th April 2013

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Sharp images of birds in flight is basically down to how quickly the camera takes the photo from when it was in focus and the users abillity to follow through at the same speed as the bird is in the focus area.

If there is a delay between the shutter being pressed and the photo being taken, then you will get soft slightly out of focus images, as the EM5 does not appear to have any more delay than my E30, then it should in theroy get birds in Flight with a fast focusing lens.

Dave
Old 16th April 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
Sharp images of birds in flight is basically down to how quickly the camera takes the photo from when it was in focus and the users abillity to follow through at the same speed as the bird is in the focus area.

If there is a delay between the shutter being pressed and the photo being taken, then you will get soft slightly out of focus images, as the EM5 does not appear to have any more delay than my E30, then it should in theroy get birds in Flight with a fast focusing lens.

Dave
Interesting theory but as you say it doesn't happen with your E30, nor does it happen with the E5 or from memory with the E410. Doesn't happen with my Canon 7D or my friends' Sonys or Nikons. It must just be a m4/3 issue - I wonder if it happens with Lumix?

David
Old 16th April 2013

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Interesting theory but as you say it doesn't happen with your E30, nor does it happen with the E5 or from memory with the E410. Doesn't happen with my Canon 7D or my friends' Sonys or Nikons. It must just be a m4/3 issue - I wonder if it happens with Lumix?

David
I guess the challenge (for the E-M5) is not so much the latency between focus lock and shutter release but actually being in focus in the first place (for BIF).
My experience has been that best results are achieved by not using C-AF (with the E-M5).

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 16th April 2013

Hi all I have been giving this BIF issue some thought last night, I wonder if IS tries to compensate for movement and over does it a little.

When I get a chance I will try both with and without IS to see if it makes a difference.

I have tested on moving car traveling around 30-40 miles per hour both towards and away from me with good results by the way I do use IS running before The shutter is depressed fully, I know it uses up the battery faster but it does make a difference to response.

Dave
Old 16th April 2013

Liked 1,328 Times in 625 Posts

just for fun, a few Extreme BIF shots (extreme range that is ) using the old 75-300

The House Martins have returned so yesterday I thought I would carry out my annual exercise in stupidity and try to capture some flight shots.

Pre-focused at long range I activate the AF as the bird appears in the view-finder and try to get the shot

These three are 100% crops (of about 700 pix on the longest side, giving and idea of how far off and how small the bird was)

in this one you can just about see the fly the Martin is going to catch

The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Daveart (16th April 2013)
Old 16th April 2013

Hi Brian, Those are great shots of such a fast moving bird, well done, just goes to show it is possible to get good BIF shots.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave
Old 16th April 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Such a detailed image shows why Sparrows are such underated subjects, their colouration is really quietly understated.

Good to see a new lens perform so well.

Tags
75mm 300mm mkii, field test