Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 7th March 2013

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Re: E7 and E-M7 rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Here's a couple of action shots with the m4/3rds system.

Travelling towards me at a few hundred knots...

More quick action again towards the view point...

I don't disagree that it's not ideal for action but to dismiss it outright is a misjudgement. It is possible to use an OM-D for action and get good results.

And macro...not at problem at all

An example

There are two excellent native macro lenses in Oly 60 mm f/2.8 and Panny f/2.8 45 mm plus you can hook up pretty much what you like, the 50 f/2 or Sigma 150 f/2.8 plus an array of manual lenses.

Which brings me on to wildlife.. again with an adapter and a good old manual lens

BIF is more more a challenge agreed but again not impossible, there are some very nice examples recently by Brian1208 on this forum.
Had to just express my admiration of these incredible shots......... really inspiring.
Greytop (7th March 2013)
Old 7th March 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,557 Times in 2,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katran View Post
Missing ISO-100 is not a real problem.

Olympus cameras with the new 16 Mp sensor cannot go lower than ISO-200, but have an higher DR.

This means you can overexpose with +1 when you do the picture, than later on editing, adjust back the exposure to the corect value.

Even E-5 has good enough DR and is possible to overexpose with +1....+1.5 without burning some areas of the picture.
I guess E-M5 is a bit better. No problem at all to overexpose with +1...+1.5.

So problem solved.
For coping with high contrast lighting, yes, I agree (although I prefer to use the expose to the right technique rather than risk truly unrecoverable highlights) but I wouldn't advocate deliberately over exposing just to achieve the equivalent of a lower ISO.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th March 2013

Liked 1,345 Times in 802 Posts

Want ISO 25 not 100 so I can slow the shutter down with my lenses with no filter threads.

David M's Photoblog
Old 7th March 2013

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Want ISO 25 not 100 so I can slow the shutter down with my lenses with no filter threads.
Use a bit of welding glass

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 7th March 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
For other wildlife instances try some old quality manual focus glass (in my case the Tokina 300mm f/2.8) on your OM-D, it works very nicely and certainly out performs the 50-200 (in my experience)
Since I bought a Canon 7D and EF400mm f5.6 for BIF I have started using this lens on the E-M5. It really shows just how good the sensor is and just how good the lens is. MF is a delight for static subjects using the magnified EVF and has encouraged me to try other make lenses using MF.
I actually get more keepers using MF than the E-M5 AF especially for wildlife.

David
Greytop (7th March 2013)
Old 7th March 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Unfortunately the above comment is possibly quite true. However, that being the case the fault lies not with the photographer or camera equipment but with the fickle nature of the general public.

These days, at sporting events, and all other events covered by the media, rows of the "White Lens Brigade" toting muscle ripping canikons equipped with humongous lenses has become the norm. It's little wonder the general public come to associate "professional photographers" with this type of equipment and to form the erronious opinion that in photography ... "size matters".

As we in this forum all appreciate, the only thing that should concern the general public (clients) is the quality of the end product and not the equipment used to obtain it.

Rant over

John

Just so that I'm not being misunderstood, I wasn't meaning to belittle m4/3 and agree that it is a misconception. I was merely pointing out an observation.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to JKW For This Useful Post: