Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 9th November 2011

Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,308 Posts
Liked 2,347 Times in 1,117 Posts
Re: Where is Olympus going from here

Nick don't forget the Canon 100-400 is ~1250 vs ~350 for the Oly
Old 9th November 2011

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Nick don't forget the Canon 100-400 is ~1250 vs ~350 for the Oly
And the 100-400 is famous for sample variation on some nature/bird photography forums.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 10th November 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

It would be wrong of us to 'gang up' on Roberta, or anyone else who is considering either a change of systems or a second system from a different manufacturer. There are other considerations which might well influence any decision beyond that of the 'reach' of available lenses. And my post was just to remind that, whilst we may lack variety, we are actually quite well served in longer lenses (even without considering our SHQ lenses).

The Canon may well 'compensate' for its shorter lenses in that the higher pixel count will allow more aggressive cropping (sort of Digital magnification). If it 'really' delivers better high iso performance then you may be able to shoot with higher shutter speeds when the light is not optimal. Differences in focussing systems and exposure systems might better fit certain uses and styles of shooting (though the opposite is also likely to be true).

It's not an easy decision for anyone to make, we all have a lot of emotional and financial capital tied up in choice of systems.

And from todays crop of digital SLR cameras it would be hard to make a 'silly' choice, all are likely to serve the majority of needs very competently, including, of course, Olympus.

(medium format might however be just a teensy bit eccentric for birding).

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 10th November 2011

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Well, I wonder if you want long telephoto whether you have been well advised. Remember the different crop factor of the lenses, so 35mm equivalent in italics.

Olympus 70-300 140 - 600
Canon 100-400 160 - 640
Olympus 50-200 + ec2.0 200 - 800
Sigma 150-500 on 7d 240 - 800

There are a few much longer lenses, but they are priced at much the same level as a small car.

Obviously if, at a later date, you go to full frame Canon then you will really need a mortgage to pay for a lens as 'long' as the 70-300.

Sorry

Nick
And a crane to carry anything bigger.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 11th November 2011

Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

To all of you I'm big enough aka 5ft 5 and all of size 10 to look after me self. FIND ME a 50 -500 in OZ, AND I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT, I was not happy to wait for Lord knows how long to find one. To non OZ members imagine if you were lucky enough find a 50-500mm in OZ, all 2 kilos of it. I know lens etc re sent overseas to begin with, but there is a diffrence from a shipping container to ":THE POSTAGE SYSTEM" where FRAGILE meansdrop at the earliest moment.
I have NOT and never will give up me Oly's, so I have not offically JUMPED SHIP.
I have ph'd, searched, etc to be informed " had one, gone in a flash...............will not take your name and ph number"
Ma twa bairns will be with me fir a lang while yet............
A positive, I still may find the elusive lens and the canon and lens will be on e^%%$#y.
Roberta

Last edited by Roberta; 11th November 2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: goof
Old 11th November 2011

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
To all of you I'm big enough aka 5ft 5 and all of size 10 to look after me self. FIND ME a 50 -500 in OZ, AND I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT, I was not happy to wait for Lord knows how long to find one. To non OZ members imagine if you were lucky enough find a 50-500mm in OZ, all 2 kilos of it. I know lens etc re sent overseas to begin with, but there is a diffrence from a shipping container to ":THE POSTAGE SYSTEM" where FRAGILE meansdrop at the earliest moment.
I have NOT and never will give up me Oly's, so I have not offically JUMPED SHIP.
I have ph'd, searched, etc to be informed " had one, gone in a flash...............will not take your name and ph number"
Ma twa bairns will be with me fir a lang while yet............
A positive, I still may find the elusive lens and the canon and lens will be on e^%%$#y.
Roberta
I wish I could have got one while they were still available too. At least I managed to talk my wife into letting me buy the 150 macro lens before they became scarce.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).