Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen Lite E-PL5

Olympus Pen Lite E-PL5 The new and improved Olympus Pen Lite with the OM-D E-M5's excellenyt 16MP sensor and a touch screen that can face forwards for self-portraits.

Old 27th July 2013

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,289 Times in 1,084 Posts
From a Canon review!

Saw this in a Canon SL1 review on imaging resource. Sounds pretty good for the EPL-5 to me.

Detail comparison. At base ISO, the Olympus and Pentax easily come out on top, with clean, crisp fine detail. The SL1 and T5i images at ISO 100 look virtually identical. In terms of detail alone, the two Canons, the Nikon D3200 and the Sony all look fairly similar. The Sony however does appear to show some moiré artifacts in the fine lines of the lettering. As the ISO increases, the Olympus E-PL5 really shoots ahead of the competition here, maintaining lots of fine detail. The SL1, T5i and D3200 all look very similar at ISO 3200 and 6400.

There are more image comparisons in the review and it seems to me that the EPL-5 definitely comes out pretty well.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ign=2013-07-26
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Imageryone (28th July 2013)
Old 27th July 2013

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: From a Canon review!

Interesting article Phil and I have long thought Canon are losing ground to the Sony sensor.

The thing to bear in mind is that all the other cameras are using a Sony sensor.

Also these are all out of camera jpegs and especially with the Sony sensor cameras the results have a lot to do with the in camera processing than the sensor .

For example the Pentax K-30 and E-PL5 both which I own both have the same 16MP Sony sensor, and yes the E-PL5 jpegs are better but if I shoot raw (which I do) and put them through Capture One Pro 7 there is just a little difference with the K-30 just edging it at high ISO because of the slightly larger sensor area.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 27th July 2013

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
For example the Pentax K-30 and E-PL5 both which I own both have the same 16MP Sony sensor, and yes the E-PL5 jpegs are better but if I shoot raw (which I do) and put them through Capture One Pro 7 there is just a little difference with the K-30 just edging it at high ISO because of the slightly larger sensor area.
I see you use Capture One Pro.

On another site I saw Capture One Pro mentioned, and it aroused my interest. But the interest didn't last long when I found out the absurd price for the program - 200! Giving a free converter like (say) Rawtherapee a nominal value of 10, is Capture One Pro 20 times better?

Jim
Old 27th July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I see you use Capture One Pro.

On another site I saw Capture One Pro mentioned, and it aroused my interest. But the interest didn't last long when I found out the absurd price for the program - £200! Giving a free converter like (say) Rawtherapee a nominal value of £10, is Capture One Pro 20 times better?

Jim
I've never used rawtherapee Jim so could not comment, nor did I pay full price for Pro but got it on a deal they occasionaly do, I do believe its better than most Raw converters I've used (and I also own LR5) but that's subjective on my part. By the way you can get CO7 Express without all the bells and whistles of the Pro version for 69 Euros.

As you are a ex rolls royce engineer Jim perhaps I should ask you is a rolls royce 20 times better than a mondeo as they both get you where you want to go just as fast.

Old 27th July 2013

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
As you are a ex rolls royce engineer Jim perhaps I should ask you is a rolls royce 20 times better than a mondeo as they both get you where you want to go just as fast.
I worked on gas turbine engines, not cars. Still, from an engineering point of view it's easy to build something good if cost is no consideration ie a 'Roller'. But it's far cleverer to build a car as good as the Mondeo at a relatively low cost.

Jim
Old 27th July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I worked on gas turbine engines, not cars. Still, from an engineering point of view it's easy to build something good if cost is no consideration ie a 'Roller'. But it's far cleverer to build a car as good as the Mondeo at a relatively low cost.

Jim
LOL.....and what a coincidence so did my late Father....What I can tell you is that a lot of work goes into CO7 camera profiles, for example optimum noise algorithms are built in for every individual supported camera at every ISO level and not a bog standard setting that you have to alter yourself. Plus detail and colour rendition always seems better to me than when using LR5.

But once again that is only my opinion and most people that use it seem to think the same but only you can decide by trying a free trial yourself.

Old 27th July 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,236 Posts
Liked 1,654 Times in 740 Posts

Just a point of clarification - the Pentax K-30 and Olympus E-PL5 (and the E-M5, E-PM2, and E-P5) all have Sony sensors but the Pentax one is larger in area. All these cameras have the same pixel count, so the Pentax camera has a larger (better) pixel pitch. So if the quality is similar to the Olympus models then Olympus is punching above its weight.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (28th July 2013)
Old 27th July 2013

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,289 Times in 1,084 Posts

Thanks for the extra info Ian. I thought you'd gone to Japan?
Old 28th July 2013

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,949 Times in 1,082 Posts

Quote:
LOL.....and what a coincidence so did my late Father....What I can tell you is that a lot of work goes into CO7 camera profiles, for example optimum noise algorithms are built in for every individual supported camera at every ISO level and not a bog standard setting that you have to alter yourself. Plus detail and colour rendition always seems better to me than when using LR5.

But once again that is only my opinion and most people that use it seem to think the same but only you can decide by trying a free trial yourself.
I was asking about Capture One here as I've got the (limited) free Express 6 version & noticed how well that can process the Oly raws & knowing that 7 is better again. My problem was needing to upgrade from Win7 (Pro) 32 bit to 64 bit OS to use CO 7 & that's why I've bought Win 8 Pro upgrade disc for a clean install at 64 bit (through the upgrade procedure). It will eventually happened when I've got everything prepared (& after Win 8.1 is released) & then I'll get CO 7 (Pro or Express).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).