Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 16th February 2008

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
50-200 Swd

Now that this lens is out and about has anybody got any views to share about it, good or bad. Would like to know how it compares to the old version, as this is the lens thats next on my shopping list. I would like to see comparisons between the new and old versions if possible.

Ian have you had the new lens to test yet?
Old 16th February 2008

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts
Re: 50-200 Swd

Check out this site, there i a mention of the lens here. I think Brian is a member here so he may have some info for you.
I want one too!

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3york.html

Dave.
Old 16th February 2008
PeterD

Westy and Dave

Thanks for the posts. What a wonderful set of images and dialogue on your link Dave.

I am also interested in more information on this lens. The image of the mother seal and pup is tremendous.

PeterD
Old 17th February 2008

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Now that this lens is out and about has anybody got any views to share about it, good or bad. Would like to know how it compares to the old version, as this is the lens thats next on my shopping list. I would like to see comparisons between the new and old versions if possible.
I'd like the lens myself.

The old 50-200mm cost 'an arm and a leg'. My understanding is that for the new one they'll want the kidneys as well!

Jim
Old 17th February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I'd like the lens myself.

The old 50-200mm cost 'an arm and a leg'. My understanding is that for the new one they'll want the kidneys as well!

Jim
I guess your right Jim. Seen the price on the web and it took my breath away. Almost the cost of an E3 body.

Still, we can dream can't we. Its a good bit of glass. My problem is that it will not have the reach of the 70-300 even if I add the 1.4 converter

PeterD
Old 17th February 2008

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

Might not have the reach - but it will be more hand holdable
Old 17th February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Might not have the reach - but it will be more hand holdable
I agree Derek and would love to buy it but I have to look at my options. I still have to get the hang of the 70-300. You will understand if you see my other post.
My skills have got to improve first.

PeterD
Old 17th February 2008

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Still, we can dream can't we. Its a good bit of glass. My problem is that it will not have the reach of the 70-300 even if I add the 1.4 converter
There's alway the 50-500mm Sigma - the 'Bigma'. There's been mixed reports about the performance at 500mm, but there are users that are satisfied.

The problem is the more we get, the more we want. In the heyday of 35mm film, a lens with the equivalent of 600mm would have been a pretty exotic piece of kit - certainly one you couldn't have easily held in the palm of your hand!

Jim
Old 17th February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
There's alway the 50-500mm Sigma - the 'Bigma'. There's been mixed reports about the performance at 500mm, but there are users that are satisfied.

The problem is the more we get, the more we want. In the heyday of 35mm film, a lens with the equivalent of 600mm would have been a pretty exotic piece of kit - certainly one you couldn't have easily held in the palm of your hand!

Jim
You are very right on both counts Jim. I never thought to look at the Sigma lens but I am resisting more additions until I achieve my best with what I have got.

Just to add a note re the old film days - There was no way ordinary Joe public could take a shot in the morning and receive critique an hour or so later. This saves an awful lot of money and allows far faster personal development, I keep reminding myself, not to look back.

PeterD
Old 17th February 2008

Thanks for the link Dave, I think I am right in saying this was a pre-production lens. Would like more Info on the final version. The cheapest I have seen the new SWD version is 799, of course they may not have stock.I wounder how much better the new SWD version is over the old version.
Old 17th February 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Westy

I have the old version of the 50-200 ,I think opticaly it is very good.I use it in combination with the EC14 for wildlife shots and am very pleased with the results.
I do not have the 70-300 but from the posts I've seen the 50-200 seems to much more sharp.I alway feel the images I've seen from the 70 -300 look a little flat,this may be only my personal point of view.
Now the only thing about the 50-200 I would like to improve is the focus speed.Its OK if you are near the point you wish to focus on but if its not it always seems to move right to one extream of focus(always the wrong way)and them back before getting focus.If the SWD version does not do this it is a good investment.
I was lucky, I found my 50-200 secondhand for 350 about a year ago and have been very please with especially at that price.
Below is an example taken yesterday with it.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 17th February 2008

Hi Andy nice and sharp pic of the blue tit, was this with just the 50-200 or did you have the EC14 on as well? I have the same opinion as yourself of the 70-300 , but at less than half the price you wouldn't expect the same performance.My dilemma is do I get the old version and save some money or save just a little bit more for what should be if only slightly a better lens.
Old 17th February 2008

Hi Westy

Yes this did include the EC14,I did consider buying the EC20 which is available at the same price from some places but have herd reports about it a bit flat.

Andy

My Flickr
Old 17th February 2008
PeterD

Andy/Westy

I know very little about the new SWD 50-200 but when I looked up the price at Park Cameras this overall comment is posted:

An advanced, high-performance 4x telephoto zoom lens also belonging to the HG series. While improving the colour blur property of the current ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 lens and incorporating the new SWD mechanism in the AF drive, this new lens maintains the same high image quality with excellent resolution and contrast throughout the zoom range.

• The newly developed, original SWD system enables automatic focusing at ultra-high speed with ultra-high precision and silence. When combined with the forthcoming E-1 successor model, these lenses will achieve the world's fastest-class autofocusing. A mechanical manual focusing mechanism is also provided for comfortable manual focusing with accurate response.

The reason for posting this extract from the site is the mention of colour blur. Andy, is this a real issue re the original 50-200?

PeterD
Old 17th February 2008

Peter

I believe this is something to do with the Bokeh which is the how the OOF background looks in a photo.I myself do not know much about this but there is much writern about it.

Try this link to a test of 50-200 on John Fosters excelent site

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/telecomp.html

I myself am very happy with image's it produces.

Andy

My Flickr