Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 6th June 2017

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts
Re: Advice on the "laptop ban" for photographers

Well, it's clear who's winning this war and who is running around chasing their a**e

Steve
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ricoh (6th June 2017)
Old 6th June 2017

Liked 177 Times in 117 Posts

One tip I got on holiday, from a very well travelled Met. copper and his partner;

Rather than securing your bag with a padlock, particularly if going via the USA, is to use a cable tie(s).
This prevents the casual baggage thief, but allows security to snip it off if required, without destroying anything.

You could even add a couple more ties just loosely clipped on, or inside the case, on top of your belongings, with a note to "please re-seal if opened".
To open at your destination, small nail clippers in a ladies handbag are generally ignored at security.

Don't forget, that all you need to open a zipped case is a pen or similar pointed object.
This is particularly true with plastic, continuous wire, self-healing zips.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (6th June 2017), OM USer (6th June 2017)
Old 7th June 2017

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
One tip I got on holiday, from a very well travelled Met. copper and his partner;

Rather than securing your bag with a padlock, particularly if going via the USA, is to use a cable tie(s).
This prevents the casual baggage thief, but allows security to snip it off if required, without destroying anything.

You could even add a couple more ties just loosely clipped on, or inside the case, on top of your belongings, with a note to "please re-seal if opened".
To open at your destination, small nail clippers in a ladies handbag are generally ignored at security.

Don't forget, that all you need to open a zipped case is a pen or similar pointed object.
This is particularly true with plastic, continuous wire, self-healing zips.

Open lock bag Trick-open a locked zippered luggage bag - YouTube
I've been doing this for many years, I leave a few ties inside bags as you say.

Steve
Old 8th June 2017

Liked 437 Times in 213 Posts

Our cases came with TSA compliant locks and I have another TSA padlock. So security can open them if needed but they are tamper proof. It's not perfect but it's better then nothing.
Security opened and checked one of our cases on our last USA trip - it arrived locked on the carousel with a note inside saying it had been examined.

There are so many points where checked luggage can go missing. I worry about my stuff on the xray belt if I'm obliged to stand to one side and be frisked.
When you look at baggage reclaim the ease with which someone could take 2 bags is pretty obvious.

Insurance and keeping your memory cards on your person are about as good as you can get.
Old 8th June 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

International travel involving aeroplanes has become a real PITA. I often think is it worth it.

on flickr
Old 8th June 2017

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts

A friend of mine who's been a regular international traveller on business for decades has advised me that most baggage-handler thefts take place at the departure airport. The bags are lying around for the maximum length of time - after landing there's always a rush on to get them out on the carousel, so this risk is a lot lower.

The risk is also lower in 'western' airports in wealthy countries, but much higher in the developing world.

So, he reckons that baggage wrapping is largely a waste of time, say, from Heathrow to OT Tambo in Jo'burg, but essential in the other direction.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 8th June 2017

Liked 3,933 Times in 1,449 Posts

TSA keys can be bought on eBay, so there is no security with those locks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk