Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 27th June 2019
griffljg griffljg is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 870
Thanks: 146
Thanked 86 Times in 68 Posts
Likes: 536
Liked 329 Times in 136 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I never reuse a card until I have ingested its contents, usually culled them, and backed up to at least two different media, preferably three.
I am in total agreement with you there. In fact, I am probably worse. I am so paranoid about losing my photos that, apart from the 3x4TB worth of backups at home, I usually take 3x4TB external hard disk drives (1xThunderbolt and 2xUSB), together with my MacBook Pro along with me when I travel. Every evening, I download (and usually process) additional photos taken that day.

In spite of this, I don't delete data from the cards in the camera(s) until I get home. Then it is a case of re-formating the cards in the camera.
__________________
Larry

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus XZ-2 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 28th June 2019
Tordan58's Avatar
Tordan58 Tordan58 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,221
Thanks: 298
Thanked 398 Times in 329 Posts
Likes: 395
Liked 1,353 Times in 354 Posts
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
For my usage the 128Gb ones gave better value, but for others the 64s might be better - for example, some people don't like having so many eggs in one basket.

Thanks for the tip-off, anyway! I've got a couple of long, wildlife-heavy trips coming up in quick succession and it will be good not to have to download and backup and then wipe my cards between trips.
I fully agree with the concern regarding relying on one card only. Even though cards are reliable, still the following risks cannot be eliminated:
  1. Card HW fatal error. Mitigated by frequent backups, or use dual drives/full redundancy.
  2. Card logical error, corrupted file system. Parts of the files could potentially be recovered. Also mitigated by dual drives (1.)
  3. Card gets lost or dropped. Make sure you have backup, stored safely elsewhere. I try to swap backups with my travel mate. I also have a portable HDD or laptop to make backups.
  4. Camera gets stolen, including the only card you are using, and also the backup card if any. Mitigated by 3.
  5. Camera bag/hand luggage gets stolen. Then you probably have deeper problems to take care of such as getting replacement cards and passport...
1, 2 and 3 have happened to me. I can tell it hurts.
__________________

My Gallery on 500px
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 28th June 2019
Tordan58's Avatar
Tordan58 Tordan58 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,221
Thanks: 298
Thanked 398 Times in 329 Posts
Likes: 395
Liked 1,353 Times in 354 Posts
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
For my usage the 128Gb ones gave better value, but for others the 64s might be better - for example, some people don't like having so many eggs in one basket.

Thanks for the tip-off, anyway! I've got a couple of long, wildlife-heavy trips coming up in quick succession and it will be good not to have to download and backup and then wipe my cards between trips.
I fully agree with the concern regarding relying on one card only. Even though cards are reliable, still the following risks cannot be eliminated:
  1. Card HW fatal error. Mitigated by frequent backups, or use dual drives/full redundancy.
  2. Card logical error, corrupted file system. Parts of the files could potentially be recovered. Also mitigated by dual drives (1.)
  3. Card gets lost or dropped. Make sure you have backup, stored safely elsewhere. I try to swap backups with my travel mate. I also have a portable HDD or laptop to make backups.
  4. Camera gets stolen, including the only card you are using, and also the backup card if any. Mitigated by 3.
  5. Camera bag/hand luggage gets stolen. Then you probably have deeper problems to take care of such as getting replacement cards and passport...
1, 2 and 3 have happened to me. I can tell it hurts.
__________________

My Gallery on 500px
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 28th June 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 1,844
Thanks: 54
Thanked 67 Times in 66 Posts
Likes: 331
Liked 693 Times in 471 Posts
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

Years ago, in the early days of digital when card capacities were in the low MB, I used to travel with a gadget that comprised a HDD, a card reader and a small screen, probably still got it somewhere too. Does anything like that still exist? The problem back then was as the card capacities got bigger then the longer it would take to copy the contents (a 1-button press) and you risked battery depletion part way through! Surely by now something better exists. It needs a way to automagically copy from the 3 (?) main card formats to the upgradeable HDD. That’d work for me as I’d keep the full card until I got home anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 28th June 2019
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,565
Thanks: 353
Thanked 491 Times in 411 Posts
Likes: 2,170
Liked 1,256 Times in 719 Posts
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Years ago, in the early days of digital when card capacities were in the low MB, I used to travel with a gadget that comprised a HDD, a card reader and a small screen, probably still got it somewhere too. Does anything like that still exist? The problem back then was as the card capacities got bigger then the longer it would take to copy the contents (a 1-button press) and you risked battery depletion part way through! Surely by now something better exists. It needs a way to automagically copy from the 3 (?) main card formats to the upgradeable HDD. That’d work for me as I’d keep the full card until I got home anyway.
Yes, I still have a first generation WD Passport drive, which sucks up the contents of an SD card you stuff in the slot. I’ve found this reliable, but a bit clunky (the accompanying app has improved over recent updates, but it isn’t very intuitive).

There are allegedly more modern and easier to use WDs now available, including SSD ones, but I recently invested in a RAVpower AC750, which is under half the price of the WD and adds all sorts of useful capabilities: https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-Fi...gateway&sr=8-3
I’ve got a variety of RAV devices for other purposes (eg power banks and travel chargers) and I’ve always found them well made and reliable.

While travelling I always try to keep my full cards and my backup drive in different places, with only one of these in the room safe.

Personally I’d say human error was a much greater risk than card failure, and the more things you do to your cards before they are fully backed up to 3-2-1 standards the greater the chances of a cock-up. A simple process which you do every time in exactly the same way is key IMHO.

I’ve never had a card failure, but I’ve formatted the wrong card, and gone out with the card back in my hotel room still in a card reader. I’d say anyone who thinks they’d never make a mistake like that is just about to find out otherwise!
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
TimP (28th June 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (29th June 2019)
  #51  
Old 28th June 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 1,844
Thanks: 54
Thanked 67 Times in 66 Posts
Likes: 331
Liked 693 Times in 471 Posts
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

Thanks Mark, I remember looking into that Rav device and can’t for the life of me remember why I didn’t buy one!
I too use various bits of Rav kit, along with Anker, both of whom I’d happily buy from again.

Back to looking at the device you linked.......
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 28th June 2019
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,565
Thanks: 353
Thanked 491 Times in 411 Posts
Likes: 2,170
Liked 1,256 Times in 719 Posts
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

BTW the way to avoid suffering from leaving your card(s) in your hotel room is by never selling or discarding your old cards. Instead, keep one in the bottom of each photography (and other) bag you ever use, plus one in the car glove compartment and in any other place where it might prove a lifesaver!
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 28th June 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 1,844
Thanks: 54
Thanked 67 Times in 66 Posts
Likes: 331
Liked 693 Times in 471 Posts
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

Discard a card? Do people do that? I’ve got cards going back to a 128MB SM (big, waffer thin thing!)
When out and about with camera and bins I always carry a little Sandisk wallet thing with spare cards and (bino) AA batteries in.
I can’t say I’ve ever used a hotel room safe!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (28th June 2019)
  #54  
Old 28th June 2019
MikeOxon MikeOxon is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: oxford
Posts: 563
Thanks: 58
Thanked 99 Times in 85 Posts
Likes: 58
Liked 214 Times in 141 Posts
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

How we treasure our photos

Of course, they are personal memories but what a lot of storage hardware we are leaving for our descendants to put in the skip.

With high speed cards and rapid-fire shooting, I find the biggest problem is sorting out all those surplus images when I get home. I find that AfterShotPro is useful for this sorting, because it can display up to 6 images on-screen at once and couple them together, so that they can be scrolled and zoomed as a group. This makes it relatively easy to choose 'the one' and discard the rest.


I have been pleased with my rule of keeping everything initially when, twice, I found I had taken a rare bird, without realising it. My shots could easily have been deleted.
__________________
Mike
visit my Natural History Photos website:
http://home.btconnect.com/mike.flemming/
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 28th June 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 1,844
Thanks: 54
Thanked 67 Times in 66 Posts
Likes: 331
Liked 693 Times in 471 Posts
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
How we treasure our photos

Of course, they are personal memories but what a lot of storage hardware we are leaving for our descendants to put in the skip.

I think it’s a bloke thing, but you’re right, into the skip they all will go and after a recent visit to Norfolk this will mean hundreds of ‘slightly too distant’ shots of a pair of barn owls hunting and such like. I won’t mention the thousands of pictures of the backs of whales which I can’t bring myself to delete for no reason other than, well, no reason!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Memory card problems birdboy Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II 1 18th December 2016 09:31 AM
Clean Memory Card martyjward General accessories 8 17th August 2014 02:48 PM
Which Memory Card? The Technician Olympus OM-D E-M5 13 27th April 2012 09:56 PM
The New XQD Memory Card Ross the fiddler The lounge 1 11th December 2011 11:22 AM
New memory card door? the4ts Olympus E-510 4 14th November 2010 02:53 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger