Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 25th June 2015

Liked 70 Times in 40 Posts
4k screens

I am just wondering if anybody here is using a 4k screen (either stand alone or on a laptop) for photo editing and what your experiences and thoughts are.

I am in the process of buying a laptop with which to play with my pictures. I understand the limitations of laptop screens but there is no room in the house to set up a permanent workstation with a stand alone monitor. I had almost made up my mind to get a PCS laptop with HD IPS screen when I chanced to look at the Dell website and they have a cracking offer on their 15" Insprion 7000 series which comes with a 4k IPS screen. There are enough advantages of the self configured route for me to stick with the PCS but if a 4k screen is significantly better then it might just persuade me.

Will
Old 25th June 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts
Re: 4k screens

Hi there Willom!

I have also been having a look at the Dell inspiron 7000 series with the 4k screens - but have decided to leave it for now as I couldn't easily justify £700+ for one with a big SSD.

Instead I have picked up a second hand dell with a 15" full HD screen (1920 x 1200) to replace my current computer. Processor wise it's nothing special (Dual core 2.4GHz) but with my current small SSD and 1TB drive where the DVD should be it should suffice for the next couple of years, when hopefully the prices will have dropped.

One thing that I have noticed with my new computer is that with a 15" screen and all the text and icons set to normal size they are about as small as I could comfortably have them - to use a 4k screen I would have to increase the size of the icons which would for me negate the purpose of having the higher definition screen. Also I don't think that I could easily see individual pixels when editing photos if the resolution was any higher.

What I would really like is the Panasonic 4k Tablet - a 20" screen but only about 10mm thick with SSD and decent processor inside - the only problem is the cost - last time I looked that was "£4k" too!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 25th June 2015

Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 2,069 Times in 1,122 Posts

Is there a 17" model with 4K video? I'm using an HP 17" that is less than HD but others are at least at that level. Perhaps a 4K version might be better with the larger screen than 15".
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 26th June 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Ross!

I don't know if anyone even makes a 17" 4k lcd screen - I haven't been able to find one. All I have been able to find is the panasonic 20" tablet, or moving up to 24" monitors for desktops. The 15" LCD for Dell and toshiba seems to be targeted at gamers or possibly video editing (where being able to have a 1920 by 1080 window in one corner of the screen could well be handy).

I also found this link :-

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...s-how-why-buy/

which talks about some of the pitfalls of 4k screens.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Last edited by Ralph Harwood; 26th June 2015 at 02:37 AM. Reason: link didn't work
Old 27th June 2015

Thank you Ralph and Ross for your help. Both your comments and the link Ralph posted have helped me to decide that 4k on a 15" screen isn't really worth it. PCS here we come. Or maybe not. My trip to Dell lead mecto discover that they are flogging their Latitude e5550 for £400 less than usual. I think these are the ones that come with the screen that has been highly rated by notebook check (something like 98% of sRGB). You don't get much more for the price (125Gb hard drive and an i5 processor) but still tempting.

Thanks again.

Will
Old 27th June 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

One of the key things to keep in mind; is resolution and aspect ratio matching.

All to often we hear of people being disappointed with the quality of the image, saying it lacks resolution. However when they are shown their image, correctly formatted for the screen, often the difference comes as a surprise.

Taking a sensor with, for ease of example, a resolution of 4000 x 3000 and displaying the image on a screen of 1024 x 768, can mean only one thing.

Re-Sizing... So how do you do yours

Just clicking on the image is all well and good for a preview, but if you are wanting to see the image at its very best, then surely matching the aspect ratio of the image and display is at minimum the first step, unless you don't mind oval wheels on the car, or the bumpers cropped off...

This is much the same as when we took a roll of 35mm into the chemists and they printed them at whatever size was most cost effective, and heads & feet were chopped off willy-nilly.

Being digital and having so much more capability, we can set the camera to match the display format or post process (crop) to get what we want. But still there is that little problem of having way more pixels in our image than we have on the display.

So: What are you going to do with all those "Precious Pixels"

Type "image scaling" or "resize algorithms" into Google and life will never be the same. In much the same way as there is a debate as to which flavour ice cream is the best, the algorithms that can be used to get your image data represented on a display, are also many and varied. However, there is no "One Size Fits All" solution, and you really will need to do some homework and experiment, to find the maths that works best for both the display and the images that you send to it.

Keep in mind: If the "Chunky Monkey" just don't taste right, it may well be that the freezer truck was parked in the sun.

By way of interest The PAGB have standardised on a display resolution of 1400 x 1050 for Digitally Projected Image competitions, which is good news for all us 4/3rds users. However if you shoot in a portrait orientation, the image can still only be 1050 high, so now you have to sacrifice around half of the display capability, just because you like portraiture. But I doubt there are many that rotate their monitors 90° to see the full quality of their images.

Anyway; something to think about, before spending all that money and having to explain it to the other half.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 27th June 2015

Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 2,069 Times in 1,122 Posts

Can't say I've tasted "Chunky Monkey"!
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 28th June 2015

You mean there is something else I should be worrying/obsessing about? I'm starting to have a complex about colour gamut which is bad enough.

I have enough exlaining to do to as it is so I am not so worried.

Seriously though, if I have understood Graham correctly there are very few monitors, certainly on laptops, that have the resolution to show a photo without scaling. Unless the monitor is FUHD then the even files on my lowly E-510 will need scaling (glad I don't have 24 megapickle full frame). I don't think I will worry too much about this as it would be too much for me to cope with. Maybe when I can find somewhere to put a monitor.

This does explain something that has been puzzling me. I have wondered why my images look crisp viewed at 100% until I zoomed out beyond about 70% when suddenly it all went blurred. I thought it was something to do with the low resolution of the screen.

Thank you for making me aware of this, it is always interesting to find out what is going on behind the scenes.

Will

PS Vanilla or raspberry ripple or my Mum's brown bread icecream. Actually anything as long as it icy and creamy. Had black treacle ice cream the other day which was delicious.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (28th June 2015)