Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Old 15th March 2015

Liked 363 Times in 95 Posts
Can EM5-II owners do me a favour please?

I'm wondering if you would be kind enough to take some test shots please, because if you've seen the shutter shock thread, my EM5-II seems to suffer quite severe shutter shock and I'm trying to decide whether mine's particularly bad and send for a replacement, or whether they're all as bad.

If you could Id really appreciate it. The worst I've found is at 1/100 shutter, and was taken with the 12-40mm f2.8. If you have the same lens great, but if not if you could shoot as close to 40mm as you can that'd be great, one pic with anti shock and one without anti shock.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Toby

Edit: Just retested, it's 1/125 that's the worst. I've also tested it using the 12-32mm at 32mm and it's still as bad.
Old 15th March 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Re: Can EM5-II owners do me a favour please?

I'm not a great reader of manuals, but I think you will find the answers on Page 59 and 95

Plus This review has a good bit of advice on the subject.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 15th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I'm not a great reader of manuals, but I think you will find the answers on Page 59 and 95

Plus This review has a good bit of advice on the subject.

Thanks for the post. I'm assuming that you haven't read the other thread? Maybe I should have clarified things on here too.

I have set it to use anti-shock and it does totally cure the issue. However, the point of this thread was to determine whether I have a particularly bad copy or not, and if so whether I'm going to send it back for replacement.

Whilst I know these cameras are prone to shutter shock I never experienced it on the EM10, Robin Wong from that review you've just posted says he's not encountered any issues thus far, and another EM5-II owner on DP Review has said they haven't noticed it either. So that's 2 users so far that have not experienced any issue. If other members on here don't have it then it gives me more of a case to return it.
Old 15th March 2015

Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts

I have shutter shock on my EM10 which rears its head at 1/200-1/250 when using a lens at 150mm (happens on both my cheap 40-150 and 40-150 pro), it even does it with AS=0.

Shutter shock is a known issue with ALL cameras and in particular CSCs with IBIS, just use AS=0, be pleased there's a solution and forget about it.
Old 15th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawty View Post
I have shutter shock on my EM10 which rears its head at 1/200-1/250 when using a lens at 150mm (happens on both my cheap 40-150 and 40-150 pro), it even does it with AS=0.

Shutter shock is a known issue with ALL cameras and in particular CSCs with IBIS, just use AS=0, be pleased there's a solution and forget about it.
Thanks. Interesting you have it on the EM10 as I've not experienced it on mine and never used AS.
Old 15th March 2015

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Over my career with u43, I've used an E-PL5, E-P5, E-M5 and an E-M1. All have, to a greater or lesser degree, suffered from shutter shock. By far the worst was the E-P5. The best is the E-M5 (on which I've only seen noticable problems with the 75/1.8).

The 0s anti-shock fixed it completely on the E-P5 and and the E-M1. It sounds like, despite the new shutter on the E-M5ii, that the same problem is evident. As others have said, just use either the 0s anti-shock (EFCS), or full electronic shutter; then forget the problem exists.

The Panasonic GX7 has the same problem too FWIW.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 15th March 2015

Thanks. I'm getting the impression I should just stop whining and just use EFC lol. I'm hesitant to use 1st and 2nd electronic shutter though due to the potential risk of artefacts
Old 15th March 2015

Oh, one last thing before I put this to bed. For those that's had shutter shock with various cameras did it do it every time at a specific shutter speed or just once in a blue moon?
Old 15th March 2015

For me it's a bit more often as not. What I do, if I forget to switch it to shutter speed priority, is hold the shutter to fire off a few shots and one of them is always fine.

It doesn't help (or maybe it does) that the shutter speed it does it is the same that auto ISO changes for 150mm (1/250) which means every time I'm at 150mm in less than good light it will happen. on one hand this is bad as I often shoot there, on the other hand it's good as I know exactly when it will happen (and do something about it, like switch to shutter priority).

Also, at normal printing sizes I very much doubt you'd see the effect (not that it isn't annoying).
The Following User Says Thank You to Nawty For This Useful Post:
snerkler (15th March 2015)
Old 15th March 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

I think you are right to try to establish if your camera is a particularly bad example. I say this because shutter shock is a well documented problem on certain MFT cameras but I've never experienced it on my E-M5, which leads me to suspect that it is a variable problem affecting some examples of the same camera more than others. I am obviously lucky to have a good example, but you may not be so fortunate with your Mark II.

Having said that, I've never specifically tested mine for shutter shock and maybe I should.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 15th March 2015

Quote:
For me it's a bit more often as not. What I do, if I forget to switch it to shutter speed priority, is hold the shutter to fire off a few shots and one of them is always fine.

It doesn't help (or maybe it does) that the shutter speed it does it is the same that auto ISO changes for 150mm (1/250) which means every time I'm at 150mm in less than good light it will happen. on one hand this is bad as I often shoot there, on the other hand it's good as I know exactly when it will happen (and do something about it, like switch to shutter priority).

Also, at normal printing sizes I very much doubt you'd see the effect (not that it isn't annoying).
Thanks. I have to say mine is EVERY time shutter speed is used anywhere from 1/80-1/160 (and maybe wider), and with any lens.
Old 15th March 2015

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Oh, one last thing before I put this to bed. For those that's had shutter shock with various cameras did it do it every time at a specific shutter speed or just once in a blue moon?
I had it with my first EM-5 and it was a statistical thing. I don't have the figures to hand but from memory I checked about 1000 random images and found a Gaussian distribution with the biggest number of "shaken / blurred" images at around 1/80th sec dropping close to zero at around 1/20th sec on the slow side and 1/320th on the fast

(Until I did the analysis I thought shutter shock was a myth but I never argue with the data )

didn't see it at all with my EM-1 and haven't seen it yet with my "new" EM-5
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Old 15th March 2015

Quote:
Thanks. I have to say mine is EVERY time shutter speed is used anywhere from 1/80-1/160 (and maybe wider), and with any lens.
Weeeell...

If AS=0 cures it then just use that, it seems hit and miss as to what/where/when so you might just end up with another with a similar problem in a different place.

I understand how disillusioned you probably feel though - it's always the way when a new (expensive) toy isn't as perfect as you'd hoped.
Old 15th March 2015

Quote:
Weeeell...

If AS=0 cures it then just use that, it seems hit and miss as to what/where/when so you might just end up with another with a similar problem in a different place.

I understand how disillusioned you probably feel though - it's always the way when a new (expensive) toy isn't as perfect as you'd hoped.
Yeah, I know. I'm afraid I'm one of those picky people that gets bugged by these things. I try not to be, but just have to accept that's who I am. Maybe when I've had more time with it and just use it as is I'll probably get more faith in the issue and forget about it.

The really silly thing for me is that, if Olly designed the camera so that it just used electronic first curtain and didn't even have the option for mechanical first curtain below 1/320 I'd have accepted it and thought what a brilliant camera
Old 15th March 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I'm afraid I'm one of those picky people that gets bugged by these things. I try not to be, but just have to accept that's who I am. Maybe when I've had more time with it and just use it as is I'll probably get more faith in the issue and forget about it.

The really silly thing for me is that, if Olly designed the camera so that it just used electronic first curtain and didn't even have the option for mechanical first curtain below 1/320 I'd have accepted it and thought what a brilliant camera
It's good really that the Mk II has a couple of options to combat shutter shock that the Mk I doesn't have.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau