Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 11th November 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Transporter Bridge, Newport (several shots): news update!

Evening all

I have been a little lazy of late with my photography, and haven't been out and about as much as I usually would have been. So, this morning I woke up setting a challenge for myself and thought that I should get out to take some shots that were not my usual génre. So, I decided to have a go at some shots of the Transporter Bridge here in Newport.

Now, the Transporter Bridge (one of 3 in the world, I think) is currently closed due to some weakening of the metal ropes that attach the gondolier to the transport platform that runs across the top of the bridge. So my plan was to drive first to the East side for some shots, then drive back across the new Usk bridge, to the West side of the Transporter Bridge for some more.

However, when I go there and parked up, I couldn't believe my luck. I had unpacked the camera and starting looking around for some nice angles when a chap in a bright council coat asked what I was doing. I immediately thought this was going to be another 'jobsworth' interrogating me on my terrorism photography, alas I was totally (and I mean, totally) wrong. This chap was actually one of the council workers who can 'drive' the bridge, and... check this... they were running some tests on the drive motors and cables, and were about to take the gondolier back across from where I was stood, to the West bank, for the last time until they had then refurbished the cabling et al (which is planned for late 2009 early 2010). He asked if I wanted to take the car on the gondolier and be the last person across... WOW - what an opportunity not to be missed eh!

So, I managed to get some shots that though I am certain have been taken many times before by as many people, but not today... Only me there today. Here's a selection of images that I took, and decided to process in a number of different ways thus some look slightly underexposed, some might be too bright into the sun, and others might just be dross! I just wanted to spend some time experimenting with the ND4 and Polarising filters whilst I had this unique opportunity. I didn't have much time, as the crossing only takes 1.5 mins.

Enjoy!

#1: The view from on the gondlier as it approaches the west side of the river Usk. The building you see is the motor control room, with the steel ropes coming out of the roof running up to the top of the bridge.

#2: View from the gondolier looking up at the east bank stairway to the top of the bridge. I went up there once to walk across the top, and by golly it is high, and windy up there!

#3: This shot is taken from almost the same spot as #2, but obviously this time looking directly up. You can see the cables attaching the gondolier to the carriage that runs across the top of the bridge (the square piece at the top)

#4: I played with this image in Lightroom, and used two of the WOW Presets to create it. I thought the image lended itself well to the 'old school' look of some prints, and reminded me of an image of the Transporter Bridge I remember seeing once on a post card in Newport Museum when I was a young lad on a school trip!! Hope it works.

Hope you enjoy the images as much as I really enjoyed taking them today.

Link to the remaining images is here.

http://www.reflectingme.com/p558787050

Old 11th November 2008

Liked 784 Times in 270 Posts
Re: Transporter Bridge, Newport (several shots)

Hi John -

Great story and what a wonderful experience.

Very nice set as seen on your website.

The first image above is so powerful in its portrayal.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 11th November 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I can imagine the situation:-

Engineer to Assistant "You did remember to book the test load, didn't you?"
Assistant "Oops!"

I like the last shot, it makes good use of the size/shape of the structure. Not really 'transported' by the others.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 11th November 2008

Thanks Barrie and Nick, I appreciate the feedback and comments.

@Barrie: thanks for looking at the gallery on my www site, nice of you to take the time to visit there. Thank you.

@Nick: I can envisage the remainder of the conversation...

Engineer: "Hang on... there's a mug photographer person coming along... go and be nice to him, pretend you got outa bed the right side this morning!"
Assistant: "OK boss... will do..."

Glad you liked the last shot... have to admit, after looking at them all on my gallery, this [I think] is also my fav. Thanks Nick.

Old 12th November 2008

Update: After seeing some comments here and on another site about some of my Transporter Bridge images, I was advised to contact the BBC and offer the images for display on local www sites etc. Initially I thought, yeah right... as if...!! but decided nonetheless to send them an email with some sample images.

I am astonished that within 20 minutes, i have received an email stating they'd love to use my images, and are asking if I can send them copies without my logo (of course, they can't show logos) for use on the site somewhere!!

Wohoooooo.... nice little ego booster for me. I shall keep you updates as to where they use them, I'd guess only in a small local part of the site, but hey, its still the beeb eh!

Old 12th November 2008

Liked 2,269 Times in 1,499 Posts
Re: Transporter Bridge, Newport (several shots): news update!

You are lucky. Our local Transporter Bridge was sold to the Americans in some dodgy deal, and was taken down by a bunch of ex builders to be re-erected across a canyon in Texas or somewhere.

The photograph below shows the Contractors at work, with the boss, 'wor Neville', at the left.

The Contractors meet with council officials to plan dismantling the bridge.

The Contract Team

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 12th November 2008

Liked 882 Times in 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Update: After seeing some comments here and on another site about some of my Transporter Bridge images, I was advised to contact the BBC and offer the images for display on local www sites etc. Initially I thought, yeah right... as if...!! but decided nonetheless to send them an email with some sample images.

I am astonished that within 20 minutes, i have received an email stating they'd love to use my images, and are asking if I can send them copies without my logo (of course, they can't show logos) for use on the site somewhere!!

Wohoooooo.... nice little ego booster for me. I shall keep you updates as to where they use them, I'd guess only in a small local part of the site, but hey, its still the beeb eh!
John more than an ego boost as this is a legitimate fact that can be added to your photographic credits. well done, well deserved.

I love the last shot and suggest you think about some of your images as publicity postcards. If you print them with your details on the back you can give them out to people as a reminder/business card.

Postcard companies can do small print runs and the laminated glossy coating is really nice. Plus getting a picture that works at that size is a good challenge.

well done

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 12th November 2008
Chillimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post

What a result!

Well done, and hopefully a sign of things to come