Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10

Olympus OM-D E-M10 The smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 7th December 2014
rayton

Colour adjustment if shooting in Raw?

I nearly always shoot in Raw format and wonder if some settings in the M10 can affect the colour output? My images seem to have greens (grass etc) that don't look natural compared to results from my previous Canon EOS 600D. They are too green ie. strongly saturated, a bit like the old Fuji Velvia film.
Old 7th December 2014

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts
Re: Colour adjustment if shooting in Raw?

Try setting up a 18% grey card in one of your images & then use this to set your C/B in LR & see if this helps. Personally calibrate my camera using the Color Passport, although my camera (M1 or M5 isn't bad it's amazing the difference this makes.
Old 7th December 2014
rayton

Thanks Peter. I will try that. Ray
Old 7th December 2014

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayton View Post
I nearly always shoot in Raw format and wonder if some settings in the M10 can affect the colour output? My images seem to have greens (grass etc) that don't look natural compared to results from my previous Canon EOS 600D. They are too green ie. strongly saturated, a bit like the old Fuji Velvia film.
Colour rendering in digital cameras is also a function of the camera sensor and varies between brands and models in a similar way to the differences in different film brands/types.

I also shoot mainly raw and use Dxo optics Pro for raw development. This software allows you to develop your raw files using your camera's own colour rendition characteristics or select rendering from a whole host of Canon (including 600D)/Olympus/Nikon/Fuji/Sony etc.etc. cameras. You can also therefore render your files like other Olympus models such as the original E-1, which had a Kodak sensor and I can render my E-M5 files as if they were taken on an E-M1 which has a different sensor.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 8th December 2014

Liked 295 Times in 147 Posts

Just a quick thought of a work around for you concerning strongly saturated greens, when you process the raw just use the HSL panel in the Sat mode and reduce the green slider to what is acceptable to you. Don't make any other adjustments! Then save that setting only by de-ticking the rest of the options presented as a preset and then apply to all future raws that contain green. It hasn't fixed what is causing the problem but will stop it annoying you whenever you take anything thats green. You should be able to batch process all raws with this method. Hope this helps.

Tom.

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 8th December 2014
rayton

Thanks Peter & Tom for your helpful replies. Something for me to work on there. Ray
Old 8th December 2014

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
I nearly always shoot in Raw format and wonder if some settings in the M10 can affect the colour output? .
If shooting Raw then apart from exposure settings none of the camera settings will effect the colour output,even white balance can be altered after the fact.

The only thing that can do that is your Raw processor and all raw processors give a slightly different colour output depending on the processor.

The only exception to this is the Olympus raw converter that initially uses your camera setting, vibrant,normal etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 8th December 2014
rayton

Thanks Paul. I will see what I can achieve at the Raw processor stage (LR) and consider also the Colour Passport. Ray
Old 9th December 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you want to "calibrate" your camera to have reliable colors, you need a color chart like Spydercheckr, which will create automatic color corrections for your pictures.

I use that for weddings, because I'm using a 5D Mark II and a Nikon D700. It's not only nice to get reliable colors but also consistent (same) colors on all pictures...
Old 9th December 2014
rayton

Thanks Ruben for mentioning Spydercheckr. After reading the reviews on Amazon I think I will go for it.
Datacolor Photo Colour Control: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo Datacolor Photo Colour Control: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Old 9th December 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just let me know if you need any help to start with.
Old 9th December 2014
rayton

Many thanks - I might need help!
Old 9th December 2014

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

When processing my E-M10 images in LR5, I find that the colours seem truer when selecting the Camera Natural option from the Camera Calibration/Profile area. Not sure why however the colours prior to that can appear to be a little garish for some tastes...
Old 9th December 2014
rayton

Thanks for the post sdb123 but since I shoot in Raw I doubt if the camera Natural option will have any effect. Ray
Old 9th December 2014

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the post sdb123 but since I shoot in Raw I doubt if the camera Natural option will have any effect. Ray
I shoot in Raw too. I'm talking about post-processing Raw files in LR5...the calibration option does make a difference to the colour on screen.