Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 12th January 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to add a filter thread to a lens without

HOW TO ADD A FILTER THREAD TO A LENS WITHOUT

Unlike the Olympus Camedia Tele Extension Lens Pro TCON-14B, unfortunately, some Tele Extension lenses do not have filter threads particularly the Olympus IS/L lens B-300 H.Q. Converter 1.7x and the Olympus IS/L Lens A-200 H.Q Converter 1.5x. However, trial and error has enabled me to add a filter thread to these popular Tele Extension lenses.

Olympus IS/L lens B-300 H.Q. Converter 1.7x.
I used either a 77mm CPL or Gradual (orange) filter with the glass removed. The filter rim is either screwed or gently pressed fitted into the front of the lens housing. The filter rim seems fairly secure but if in doubt a small amount of superglue will securely attach it permanently!

Olympus IS/L Lens A-200 H.Q Converter 1.5x.
I have two solutions:

First Solution:
I used either a 67mm CPL or Gradual (orange) filter with the glass removed. In this instance filter rim is a loose fit inside the lens housing so I used a silicone rubber surround cut out of a silicone muffin mould to provide a secure mounting. The filter rim seems fairly secure but if in doubt a small amount of superglue will securely attach it permanently!

Second Solution:
I used the following combination of filters and stepping rings:
1. Either a 77mm CPL or Gradual (orange) filter with the glass removed; and
2. 86mm-77mm step-down ring; and
3. 77mm-86mm step-up ring; and
4. Either a 77mm CPL or Gradual (orange) filter with the glass removed.
The first 77mm CPL or Gradual (orange) filter rim and the two stepping rings are screwed together in the above-mentioned order and placed over the front of the lens housing and a 77mm CPL or Gradual (orange) filter rim is screwed on from behind.

The downside to the second solution is that it is neither as ‘elegant’ nor ‘discrete’ as the first solution but it does provide a very secure mechanical mount if this lens is to be stacked with others!

I prefer to use either CPL or Gradual (orange) filter rims because they allow stacked lenses to be rotated in respect to each other by virtue of their two-part construction and the ‘slippage’ provided by their two-part construction may also prevent over-tightening. Also CPL or Gradual (orange) filter rims are not as slim normal filters and therefore provide more strength and contact between the filter rim and the lens housing.

See also my previous post on providing a secure rear mount for the Olympus TCON-300s 3.0x.