Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Closed Thread

Old 28th September 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Steve Evans 51

This morning on BBC Breakfast, Nick and I were moved to ears by Steve Evans. Do view on iplayer if you can, please.

Steve is an inspiration, like no other - to us this morning.

People ill with the BIG C, want knowledge, information and develop a thirst for others experiences and INFORMATION. Steve has been an "open book" and what a delightful chap.

Many here have their "health limitations" and some are in a darker place, even when the sun is shining.

Steve Evans51 is on Twitter.

He spoke in the most honest and eloquent manner of his health 2 years ago and the "just announced" £400 million Special Cancer Cure Fund - to provide cures not registered by NICE for NHS use and how it made a tremendous difference to him, and his family - 2 YEARS the last 2 years.

None of us will know, if or when we need some help for ourselves, or a family member or friend and so it may be critical to know Steve on Twitter or on the BBC.

When someone is very ill and not there is a cure BUT YOU CANNOT HAVE IT ON THE NHS it is not nice ! information of HOW TO GET IT is CRITICAL and URGENTLY NEEDED.

Here it is. if you just visit and friend Steve you will have this information to hand.

He said "the most amazing thing is, about Twitter I have 2,000 who ask after me and want to know about my life - its really amazing everyday, all these people I don't know, care ! about ME"

If you can, Follow and Tweet Steve Evans 51 - he does not have long and you can make a huge difference
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
Wally (28th September 2013), Wee man (28th September 2013)
Old 28th September 2013

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Re: Steve Evans 51

Yes I just saw this and was also moved to tears. I am not the crying type and it takes quite a lot to get me going, but this was very moving, what an amazing man....puts all my niggles into perspective.
The Following User Says Thank You to shirley For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (28th September 2013)
Old 28th September 2013

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

Not sure if this is the correct link? For those like me who struggle with not being on certain web sites.

Steve Evans

Brought back some horrible memories but still worth watching if only to see once again, how some rise to challenge adversity even when there is a distinct possibility of no hope.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (28th September 2013)
Old 28th September 2013

Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts

chevvy

You should know by now that the NHS is not there for sick people its for those who want tattoos removing, breast implants (because they have low self esteem), Breast implants removing because I made a mistake, IVF because I left it so late because of my career and now I want a baby because it will accessorise my lifestyle. And the daft lad I saw the other week riding a bluddy great motorbike in shorts & plimsolls who basically flayed most of his skin when he lost it on a bend.

I saw the program was moved too and somewhat angered that NHS is not there for people like him
Old 28th September 2013

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
chevvy

You should know by now that the NHS is not there for sick people its for those who want IVF because I left it so late because of my career and now I want a baby because it will accessorise my lifestyle
A somewhat sweeping and insensitive statement! How can you compare tattoo removal to wanting a child.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
Old 28th September 2013

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Yes I just saw this and was also moved to tears. I am not the crying type and it takes quite a lot to get me going, but this was very moving, what an amazing man....puts all my niggles into perspective.
Absolutely agree - every politician / administrator / accountant who wants to muck around detrimentally with the NHS should watch it but even those words feel belittled by the sheer magnificence of the total positive attitude that he had in the face of all that he has and is going through. I felt totally humbled and very moved.

However, he is also one of many and he was so eloquent about the power that a simple straight forward 'yes, we can help you' makes in the middle of a dreadful battle that he and many others go through. Money is important but sometimes it really is worth far less in comparison in the fight for survival. I hope he realises what a powerful message he put across for others.
Old 28th September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
chevvy

You should know by now that the NHS is not there for sick people its for those who want tattoos removing, breast implants (because they have low self esteem), Breast implants removing because I made a mistake, IVF because I left it so late because of my career and now I want a baby because it will accessorise my lifestyle. And the daft lad I saw the other week riding a bluddy great motorbike in shorts & plimsolls who basically flayed most of his skin when he lost it on a bend.

I saw the program was moved too and somewhat angered that NHS is not there for people like him

Homer, I do live in my naive little world. I feel no sympathy for motorcycle riders without the proper gear and old out of date hats ... nor have nurses and Docs [who call them "doners"] and who use the more awful nylon scrubbing brushes to get "that gravel out of the skin" ... sometimes the screaming patient says leave it there ... and they do Tattoo removal should be private as was the Tattoo likewise breast im & out plants unless it is post Cancer

One day a "dear woman" got off her horse at the livery yard, where I and a few others were enjoying coffee and GASP a CIGARETTE she said "I work for the Hampshire NHS and we should be treating YOU for smoking!" she was walking away smugly ... when I said, "well Biotch, when you fall off your old nag and smash your feckin skull - because your not wearing a hat, I hope they dont treat you" ... funny, but she moved her 'orse soon after that, as she could not face so many SMOKERS, who wore hats ! we missed her ... 'orse

I agree, especially on the IVF - so many old eggs have a dreadful pregnancy and lots of complications ... there are facts I could quote but Downes' is the least of the problems as they 'screen/abort for that' - alcohol and cigarettes wreck eggs and swimmers ... as do recreation drugs the FACTS and research are there for all to read ...

Of course, we are all entitled to our own opinion, but we seem to agree ! No doubt there will be others who disagree with us

Steve Evans is just so honestly eloquent and would pick up anyones glove and help them - that comes across from him, simply and to be so humble and say how much others Tweets mean to his days ... well THAT is something else !

the ONE photo album
Old 28th September 2013

[QUOTE=Chevvyf1;253269]
I agree, especially on the IVF - so many old eggs have a dreadful pregnancy and lots of complications ... there are facts I could quote but Downes' is the least of the problems as they 'screen/abort for that' - alcohol and cigarettes wreck eggs and swimmers ... as do recreation drugs the FACTS and research are there for all to read ...

QUOTE]

Its not all about reading facts Chevvy, I think a comment like this may lose you a lot of "fans" It is insensitive, inconsiderate and extremely rude.

Are people not entitled to a family who are unable to have one naturally.

I am not looking to pick a fight here i am talking from personal experience.......

My wife and I tried for ten years for a child with no luck, no medical reasons were given it just unfortunately wouldn't happen for us.

We went through IVF, extremely stressful and very, very unpleasant for my wife as the drugs they give you really mess up the hormones. We went through weeks of treatment and I will never forget the day we sat on our bed staring at a pregnancy test kit eagerly anticipating the result, it was negative. Heart breaking...........

We had to start again from square one, the drugs, the consultations, the injections and all of the stress of living in the hope that this time it would actually work for us and we would be lucky enough to have the child we had longed for for almost a decade.

The weeks passed again, again we sat on our bed holding hands staring at a white stick with tears in our eyes before we even knew the result.

It had worked! We were overjoyed, delighted, elated, ecstatic there are not enough words available to explain how we felt. We are now extremely proud parents, our son is the most important thing in the world and my little boy is the most important thing in my life, my best freind. Without the NHS he would not be here today nor would our family be complete.

So please excuse me when I say

"You can take your readable facts and smiley faces and shove them up your
****!" as can Homer Simpson.

If I get banned for this I don't care, you are insensitive with regards to such a delicate subject matter to which you obviously know nothing about other than what you have read!

That is all!

Old 28th September 2013

[quote=timmypreston;253275]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post

QUOTE]

Its not all about reading facts Chevvy, I think a comment like this may lose you a lot of "fans" It is insensitive, inconsiderate and extremely rude.

Are people not entitled to a family who are unable to have one naturally.

I am not looking to pick a fight here i am talking from personal experience.......

So please excuse me when I say

"You can take your readable facts and smiley faces and shove them up your
****!" as can Homer Simpson.

If I get banned for this I don't care, you are insensitive with regards to such a delicate subject matter to which you obviously know nothing about other than what you have read!

That is all!

oooh! My you are JUST SO VERY WRONG - again ! and remember we are ALL entitled to our opinions ! Remember my Bif are *rap and I think a greatest newest camera will make my Bif better !

Ferme' la porte' !

Homer Simpson and I were talking GENERALLY not SPECIFICALLY (as you do) so if you take it personally, that its, YOU TAKING it personally !

I hope Ian does not ban you for it - its just your opinion and ours

BTW Neither Homer or myself said, "Are people not entitled to a family who are unable to have one naturally." again your putting words into our mouths ... we just said not on NHS - if Cancer drugs are not allowed to save a life!

the ONE photo album
Old 28th September 2013

Q q q q

q q q q

q q q q

Old 30th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,692 Times in 768 Posts

I'm closing this thread - it's upsetting people and is not what this forum was intended for.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
catkins (30th September 2013), Wally (30th September 2013)
Closed Thread