Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 13th July 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: Ooc jpg's or raw!

This from Otto ;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
One thing I've noticed recently is that modern RAW converters do a much better job on RAW files ... ... than the software that was available at the time, so I think it's worth keeping RAW files for that reason alone.
However I'm guilty of using only Jpegs 90% of the time, except from my older bodies like the E-1 & e-410 where I use RAWs mostly.
Old 13th July 2013

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

pass me that machine gun........

for anything that moves or has an expression shooting bursts gives a greater chance of catching the perfect look/moment.

If you can control everything there is no need for this, in the real world machine gune technique has its place.

Having said that 90% of the time the first frame is the best and there is a pay-off with sorting through lots of files.

to give less files to look at I shoot just raw.
Old 14th July 2013
Kiwi Paul

Ok, let me clarify.
There are 2 considerations when shooting raw or jpg. With ooc jpg the prime consideration is getting the image to look right, i.e. the main subject is correctly exposed and composed, highlights may be blown out and/or shadows may have no detail but due to the limited dynamic range of in camera processing that is inevitable as long as the subject is correct then that's all can be achieved. With modern cameras (OM-D, GH3 etc) the results are often much better than we might expect and for viewing online generally quite acceptable i.e. http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12550

BUT for raw a slightly different approach applies. If you want to shoot in jpg then you have to make sure the main subject is correctly exposed, but that may mean blowing out highlights which can't be recovered, but with raw you know a lot of post processing will occur so you expose to balance the picture as much as practicable, i.e. preserving as many highlights and shadows as you can, so the main subject may seem underexposed but in post processing the shadows are lifted and highlights reduced etc and the main subject adjusted till the exposure is correct.
So shooting jpg and raw require 2 different approaches, if you shoot , like I do jpg and raw then sometimes a multiple exposure is required to optimize each.

Paul
Old 15th July 2013

Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts

I remember 23 years ago (when money was far more tight), often using a whole 36 shot film with my OM2n, on my daughter trying to get the perfect smile So I really love digital and the ability to take lots of photos with no cost implications!

For me I shoot mostly RAW. Occasionally I shoot RAW and jpgs if I need to pass images over immediately when I have no facility to PP. But if I am going somewhere I put my photos onto my iPad, process the ones I like in Snapseed and use them to put on FB etc. Then I can very quickly delete the images I don't like and just import the RAW files into L4.

I wish I was good enough (or knew my camera well enough!) to shoot OOC but I'm not so I love the flexibility of digital and the fact that if my image isn't that great even if I set the shot up, I can work on it later. That said, jpgs with the EM 5 are really good