Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 20th October 2012

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts
SSD failure

So a word of warning to anyone looking upgrade to solid state hard drives. I have a horrible feeling that mine is dead, after less than 8 months. Bit peeved as I know that I have the receipt somewhere but can't find it. I have the warranty card and the cheezy sticker that came with it. I'm hoping it is in my drawer at work otherwise it's a new HDD.

So my advice is be careful and don't buy an OCZ . This is why I haven't posted any holiday snaps yet. .
Old 20th October 2012

Liked 456 Times in 204 Posts
Re: SSD failure

I know this isn't any consolation but.... HDDs are also liable to fail without warning.

It is in the nature of SSD technology that the number of data write operations contributes to their end-of-life. However in normal use they should last as long as an HDD.

I replaced my system disc with an SSD about 18 months ago. So far so good. At that time vendors like OCZ were trying to make inroads into Intel's dominance in the SSD market by offering superior read/write performance. However the tweaks required to achieve this gave rise to higher failure rates (by a factor of 5 or worse according to published comparisons). This discrepancy may have reduced subsequently but, given the performance advantages of any SSD to HDD, unless you have some serious requirement for the highest possible throughput it is probably better to choose your vendor based on minimum failure rates.

If you have a spare HDD available and an accessible eSata interface it is worthwhile buying a cheap caddy (with built-in PSU) and using it to periodically (e.g. once a month) take a System Image backup from the SSD.
Old 20th October 2012

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

All drives exist in one of two states
Dead
or
About to die

If you work on this premise you will not be dissapointed

I had brand new drive fail within 4 days - a firmware issue, fortunately replaced under warranty - but even the replacement drive had the duff firmware so I had to update the firmware. Touch wood it is still working - or it was 3 weeks ago

The vendor I bought an SSD drive from was / is very confident that their SSD drives will outlive the spinning drives.
Old 20th October 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The statistics shown here do make poor reading for OCZ failures
http://forums.storagereview.com/inde...-return-rates/
Funnily enough my local PCWorld had a sale of OCZ SSDs recently. Their prices undercut the other local PC parts vendors prices for SSDs which was extremely unusual.
Old 20th October 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie allan View Post
The statistics shown here do make poor reading for OCZ failures
http://forums.storagereview.com/inde...-return-rates/
Funnily enough my local PCWorld had a sale of OCZ SSDs recently. Their prices undercut the other local PC parts vendors prices for SSDs which was extremely unusual.
Jami8e thanks for this very iseful info
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 20th October 2012

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

I'm lucky that the drive is about empty. I recovered everything from it when I got back from holiday after it decided it wasn't playing. I thought this was an Ubuntu error that I couldn't do the recovery from. Reinstalled the OS and it worked for another couple of days and has died again. Different type of error and too coincidental to be an OS error again. Luckily there was nothing on it this time that I don't have backed up - I was merely starting PP on some photos that I'd copied from my external HDD.

I bought the OCZ at the time after reading good things, it seems since then its been nothing but bad news. Its a OCZ Petrol 64GB.

On Jamie's link information I think I'll be buying a Crucial if I can get another SSD. Hopefully I'll find the receipt and get a replacement from another manufacturer. For the mean time its back in with the 120GB Toshiba OEM drive (and a fresh install AGAIN!) and some hissy fitting at OCZ/PC World. The drive is dead, they have figures to back up that they are failing at a great rate and they need to replace it.

Shame as the drive certainly sped up my aging laptop and made it run substantially cooler
Old 20th October 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Good, good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
All drives exist in one of two states
Dead
or
About to die

If you work on this premise you will not be dissapointed