Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 16th July 2012

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,119 Posts
Re: Nikon announces development of 800mm 'super' tele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
Well, first I'd need an OMD-EM5
That was the general idea.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 16th July 2012

Liked 1,353 Times in 354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
I am going on two once-in-a-lifetime trips in the coming months and a third body is tempting for back-up, probably necessary even.
... Snipped...
So, Ian. A full test would be much appreciated. I've had Olys since 1980... I've only ever had a Nikon pair of binoculars. But I live in Canonikon country - there are no OMDs to try out withought spending the kroners...
Hi Cathrine,
Out of curiosity... may I ask where you are going? Is weight/size of photo equipment a constraining factor?
PS Nikon make fine binoculars and scopes, excellent performance and reasonably priced. I use Nikon myself.
/Tord

My Gallery on 500px
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
Hi Cathrine,
Out of curiosity... may I ask where you are going? Is weight/size of photo equipment a constraining factor?
PS Nikon make fine binoculars and scopes, excellent performance and reasonably priced. I use Nikon myself.
/Tord
I'm going first to Svalbard and Greenland, ending on Iceland on a cruise boat. A fortnight's photography workshop with John Paul Caponigro and Seth Resnick. Then - in February, to Antartica with the same two gentlemen on another workshop.

As it's a photo workshop, I guess we will need everything and that both tripods and monos are allowed, as an Oly shooter I am guessing my gear will be the smallest anyway, even with the E3 and E5

It shouldn't be the fastest shooting, with all those landscapes, so the OMD with its larger pixel count would be nice, as I would be aiming for large print quality.

I have ordered a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter from B&H, shipped yesterday, so I should be able to try out that on the E-PL3 during holidays for functionality, and decide whether to go the OMD-EM5 route before I leave on the 2. September. But I don't want to buy an OMD and then find out after Photokina that Oly are coming with an E7 with the 16 MP sensor, and there I am with an OMD with continuous focusing issues on my 300 2.8...

The Nikon binoculars were very good, and much cheaper than the Leica I have today. But sadly I must have left it in a security check somewhere along the long Norwegian coastline...

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 1,353 Times in 354 Posts

This looks exciting!

May I throw in one recommendation: make sure you have not only spare batteries (no-brainer) but also a spare battery charger (if the E3 and E5 use same batteries). A guy I know went to Tanzania on an expensive safari, and found out his battery charger (Olympus) was non-functional after he had drained his first battery... He had to make wise use of the spare battery he had brought and still ran out of power. There was a handful of photographers on that safari, sadly all of them using Canon or Nikon.
/Tord

My Gallery on 500px
Old 17th July 2012

Thank you, Tordan My thoughts exactly. Along with the adapter, I am also getting an extra charger along with the new sets of extra batteries. Mine haven't done their full number of charges yet, but you never jnow, and I don't want to be along the Greenland Coast when I run out... Also the spare battery chargers will be US type, and the cruise ship is American (Quark Expeditions) so they should be practical, as it's so bulky with all the adapters for chargers, it's useful to have a couple of US-type cords.

My book on Viovio
Old 17th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
There was a handful of photographers on that safari, sadly all of them using Canon or Nikon.
/Tord
Actually, on the Galapagos trip last year, there was actually one other man using Olympus, an E-620. That doesn't happen often!

My book on Viovio