Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 10th May 2011

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Bigma Help

These have been taken with the Bigma and the E3 Handheld I would appreciate any suggestions for improvement
Thanks in advance
John
Old 10th May 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: Bigma Help

Hi John

Not that I'm that qualified to comment but here goes.

Love the first shot. Great catchlight in the dog's eyes which brings the picture to life in my view. Great animation and sense of happiness. The comment I would make is to make space on the left of the shot to allow the dog to run into it. I think this would give a better balance.

Second shot is great for handheld and unlike the first there is room for the bird to fly into the picture further. I like the general impact of this.

The third shot does not work for me as well. Again the bird needs space to look into and is infact on the wrong side of the shot. This spoils it for me. I love the reflection though and the fact that the classic gull stern look in evident. Lovely blue character to the light which is good contrast to the white of the bird and of course the red of the beak and legs lift things noticebly as a small amount of red ofetn does..

Hope that helps albeit from someone who has more to learn than most.

cheers

Hec
Old 10th May 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Well OZZIE I give your TOP MARKS for BIGMA shots !" esp. knowing how BIG & HEAVY it is !

I guess your dog moved faster into the frame, hence is closer and not so much space in front ? maybe ! But its a great GREAT DOG AND SHOT your dogs ATTENTION and LOVE/RESPECT for its owner is EVIDENT and that its a HAPPY DOG !

Your flying bird, quite sharp - what is the fl? and your f stop?

I feel 3 is a crop I like this with the reflection ! OVERALL THREE GREAT SHOTS ! Thanks for sharing
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 10th May 2011

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hi Hec
Thank you for your comments and I agree the crops wern't done with enough thought on overall composition I think I was concentrating on sharpness , need more attention in PP.

Thanks Chevvyf1
These lens are certainly capable of sharp results that one was taken with 246mm @ F6.3 AP mode ( my new default mode)
John
Old 11th May 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Hi Hec
Thank you for your comments and I agree the crops wern't done with enough thought on overall composition I think I was concentrating on sharpness , need more attention in PP.

Thanks Chevvyf1
These lens are certainly capable of sharp results that one was taken with 246mm @ F6.3 AP mode ( my new default mode)
John
NOW THIS is interesting ? May play with BIGMA at the weekend
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album