Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 23rd February 2011
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Weaknesses of the 70-300

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Beautiful shots Mark. How do you get the 'look down' shots. I presume you are in another aircraft lucky so and so
Gods country, Peter...

Mach loop and Tebay... West Wales

Old 23rd February 2011
TYS1977

Hi Peter,
Yes John's right
They're taken from very high fellsides,
The first two are from the Tebay pass overlooking the M6 in Cumbria,

The last Typhoon is from Runwayside at Bae Warton near Preston Lancs,

THe pilots head out from there and pull really tight turns when they are practising touch and go landings,

Heading out to The Lakes again tommorow probably Dunmail Raise to try and get some more,
We were lucky to catch a RAF SAR flying through last week on a training exercise

P2175176 by TYS1977, on Flickr

P2175166 by TYS1977, on Flickr

P2175171 by TYS1977, on Flickr

We are very lucky up here to be an RAF low fly zone (LFA17)
I've not done The Mach Loop in Wales yet but hope to get down there this year

My apologies for the amount of pics,don't mean to hijack the thread,But I genuinely believe that for the price this is a great lens,I certainly wouldn't be able to get my shots otherwise

Kindest regards
Mark
Old 23rd February 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Well it only seems yesterday that you were asking about locations etc., and all I can say is that these photos how well you've progressed in that short time. These are top notch and really show how well the lens competes with the big names.
I just wish I could get a fraction of the quality that you've managed to achieve on what must be fairly cold exposed hill tops in the Lakes - excellent clarity and really pleased that the avaition photography is coming along so well for you.
As a matter of interest, have you used a tripod for the Dunmail Raise and Tebay shots? If not, then even more kudos as I know how difficult it is to catch the passing shot with minimal blur on the aircraft! I've yet to try the two locations and must set myself the target for a nice sunny day in the Lakes.

Regards
Chris
Old 23rd February 2011
TYS1977

Thanks Chris
Most appreciated mate
No they're hand held,I tried a tripod once and it was a disaster,couldn't follow the aircraft properly,
I must post some shots in the main forum,
I'm a lot happier with the lens now that the light is starting to get better,
I believe in good sunshine the lens WILL perform a lot better,in low light the lens is a nightmare,and I end up cranking the ISO right up,which of course then ends up with a lot of grain and noise on the shot, but lately the lens has been letting me get about ISO 250 and between 800-1000 shutter on my E-500 so really chuffed with it now,I don't regret buying the lens at all,

As regards to the lens hunting...yes it does now and then,
Due to the subject that I'm taking I use Centre spot focus and [.] metering
However I find that if I focus the lens on continual AF and I focus for example on a road in the distance,when an aircraft comes into view the lens doesn't have to far to go to focus on it,

Kindest regards
Mark
Old 23rd February 2011

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYS1977 View Post
Thanks Chris
Most appreciated mate
No they're hand held,I tried a tripod once and it was a disaster,couldn't follow the aircraft properly,
I must post some shots in the main forum,
I'm a lot happier with the lens now that the light is starting to get better,
I believe in good sunshine the lens WILL perform a lot better,in low light the lens is a nightmare,and I end up cranking the ISO right up,which of course then ends up with a lot of grain and noise on the shot, but lately the lens has been letting me get about ISO 250 and between 800-1000 shutter on my E-500 so really chuffed with it now,I don't regret buying the lens at all,

As regards to the lens hunting...yes it does now and then,
Due to the subject that I'm taking I use Centre spot focus and [.] metering
However I find that if I focus the lens on continual AF and I focus for example on a road in the distance,when an aircraft comes into view the lens doesn't have to far to go to focus on it,

Kindest regards
Mark
Firstly, thanks for your explanation of how you get this look down shots.
Yes, as the winter light is replaced by brighter light, you can only get better (what am I saying, they are great anyhow!). Your method of reducing the need for the AF to move far will go a long way to reducing the amount of hunting failures. CAF is definately the right mode to be in as the focus is only fixed after the full shutter press. Get the focus right on the half press and it should remain locked until exposure takes place. Just out of interest, have you selected the option to prevent the af from reacting to rapid focus changes?

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 23rd February 2011
TYS1977

Yes I select CAF,because as the aircraft approaches,passes and finally heads off,the lens is only moving slightly,reacting to the slight change in focus,I've never had the lens hunt once I've started a sequence of shots on the pass if that makes sense,
Granted I get a few out of focus shots in the sequence but most of the shots end up being ok,
The only problem if any that I have with this is having to shoot in just JPG because if I shoot in RAW the buffer fills up so quick I get a lock on about the 4th shot,whereas if I have it on JPG I can get off at least 8-9 shots,but again that's not down to the lens,

Kindest regards
Mark
Old 24th February 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,267 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 766 Posts

Fantastic shots, Mark! Just to comment on C-AF with the 75-300 as you are using it. Because you will have pre-focussed to the general distance that the planes are at, the lens only has to make find adjustments to the focus in C-AF mode, and even with the 75-300 this should not generally be problematical.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 23rd March 2011

Liked 1,353 Times in 354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
I know this is a list of negatives but I am afraid that is the way I see this lens.

It certainly does not perform as well as even the kit range lenses for the following reasons:

1. It is incredibly slow to focus.
2. You need good light to get focus lock without hunting.
3. Images are usually 'soft'.
4. The focal range is attractive for wildlife shooting but the inconsistant performance listed above preclude it from this role.
5. The only good attribute is its weight.
Hi All,

I would like to jump in in this thread and comment this post.

I have been using the 70-300 for almost three years, mostly for bird photography. The lens came bundled with E-520 kit (part of a special promotion campaign). The last half year I have been using it in combination with the EC-14. I have actually owned two 70-300 lenses, the auto-focus unfortunately gave up after 2 years and 2 months while travelling to a remote location...

I am generally speaking pleased with the lens. I admit it has its limitations but I have no reason to complain about the results achieved.

1. I agree, if it looses focus it will take ages for the lens to walk through the whole focus range. Point taken.

2. I have to disagree. I have not experienced this behavior.

3. I am inclined to disagree. The lens is capable of delivering sharp pictures.

4. Valid comment if referring to 1, but not 2 or 3.

5. Not only weight, but size is also attractive. What I mean is is that the lens has a 58 mm filter thread which saves costs. The value could be debated but he or she who wants to get started with telephoto and goes for a budget lens will be pleased when finding out that the filters that fit the kit lens also fits this one.

I would like to add the following disadvantages to the list:

6. Lack of thread for tripod attachment. You have to use the camera body thread and the result is shaky. I guess this is a deliberate decision by Olympus to shave costs.

7. Maximum aperture is not that great, limited to 4.0/5.6. impacting the performance when light conditions are not good (leading to fallback to longer exposure times than recommended and/or high ISO), but what I refer to mainly is difficulties to focus manually with good control.

8. Quality? I refer to the auto-focus failure I experienced shortly after warranty expired. This incident is by no means conclusive, I however believe this should be considered in the total picture.

Anyhow, given the price tag, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone hesitant to throw in a lot of money on his/her first telephoto lens.

Regards,
Tord
Old 23rd March 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

This is SUCH AN INTERESTING Thread ! I thought it was me; my other half and/or our cameras ! I have found it ok to about 230! NOW I shall try some of the advice offered. Thank You all very Much ! maybe I can get a better shot out of this - its so light for travelling/walking - which is why I bought it!
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 23rd March 2011

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
As a recent buyer of the 70-300 I'm aware there are "weaknesses".

I'd like to tap into the accumulated knowledge here on the forum.
Could those more knowledgeable compile a list of these to help us new 70-300 owners
Plus get arounds of course
I have just been testing mine on my new E5 and I can't see much wrong with it, for example

This was at f8 @300mm. Taking it down web resolution obviously degrades the resolution but even at 600 pixels it seems OK to me

Roger
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerMac For This Useful Post:
Howi (23rd March 2011)
Old 17th April 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Regarding the 70-300: I was a bit disappointed after I had used it for a couple of month, and I quickly moved to the 50-200 mm SWD and an EC-20 extender.
Now I have recieved it back from a long term loan to a friend and was considering the option of selling it to fund an EC-14 extender (yes the EC-20 is excellent but maybe not the best option for a E-30/50-200 combo).
But I tried it today and have now decided to keep it as a back-up and travel lens.
With-in it's limitiations it is actually a quite impressive lens and absolutely good value for the money spent.

this is a 90 % crop: ISO 800 buil-in flash wide open at F:4 Focal lenght 190 mm

AF-C is usable but not impressive with this lens

Last edited by FlemmingS; 17th April 2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added information