Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-420

Old 14th September 2010
Lascough

NEWBIE - Airshow photos

Hi All,

I have only recently moved up to DSLR and bought the E420. I am going to a Battle of Britain airshow at the weekend and would like some advice on how to get some great pictures of the planes. As I said, this is all very new to me so help with settings would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Lee
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Re: NEWBIE - Airshow photos

I was at the Leuchars Airshow in Fife last weekend.
First don't underestimate the traffic. It took me 2 and 1/2 hours to do the last 7 miles and that with an official traffic plan.
The runway at Leuchars is East West and viewing is from the North so you are shooting against the sun. This means aircraft are more in silhouette which works occasionally but becomes boring.
Try to get a good angle (just over 90 degrees to the sun) so that the side of the aircraft you're shooting is in sun. It looks better.
I used ISO400 and set the aperture at 5.6. The shutter speed took care of itself. I did use C-AF but no image stabilisation. I also set burst to get 'the angle'.
Take plenty of spare battery power and memory. I used 2 batteries in the HLD4 holder and took about 350 photos on an 8Gb card shooting Raw & large jpg. I used the 50-200 zoom which was usually long enough. Try to anticipate where the plane is going. (difficult with some of these new fighters)
Pan with the plane. A blurred background gives an impression of speed. And try to leave a bit of space in the photo for the plane to mentally 'fly into'.
One thing occurred to me, the cockpit is 'the eye' of the plane and it looks better if it is visible in the camera.
I'll upload a couple of photos but there are also several people on this forum who are way better than me.
Have fun anyway.

Duncan
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

Here a couple which I think are not bad.

Nederlands F16

RAF Typhoon

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster

Duncan
Old 15th September 2010

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lascough View Post
Hi All,

I have only recently moved up to DSLR and bought the E420. I am going to a Battle of Britain airshow at the weekend and would like some advice on how to get some great pictures of the planes. As I said, this is all very new to me so help with settings would be greatly appreciated.

Lee
Hi Lee:

1: Prepare for wet weather - there are good shots to be had even in poor conditions, but not if your camera and lens are not pre-prepared!
2: If taking photos of aircraft flying, make use of a good zoom lens - the 70-300mm gets you reasonably close but we can all aspire to the more expensive lenses
3: If taking photos of aircraft on the ground, make use of a wide angle zoom for some interesting details/angles/etc. A polarising filter can help get rid of some of the reflections on the canopy or bodywork of the aircraft, but don't use this with 2: above
4: Plan where best to locate yourself - think about getting on the 'sunny' side of the aircraft if possible/watch where other keen photographers are standing/watch other displays to see what part of the airfield is most suitable for your lens setup
5: Practise your panning - older prop aircraft are easier to follow, but panning will still be key
6: Consider your shutter speed - ideally enthusiasts like a slower shutter speed to capture the blur of the propellor, and this can also suit panning to capture more blur if the ground is visible in shot - however, my panning sometimes lets me down, so if all fails, blow the enthusiasts and use a higher shutter speed - better to capture the shot clearly than have only a messy blurred photo!
7: Have fun and remember to enjoy watching some of the displays - at some airshows even the enthusiasts will down cameras and enjoy watching with mark II eyeball

regards
Old 15th September 2010
Lascough

Thanks for your comments. I'll let you know how I get on. I might even post a few pics if they turn out. By the way Wanderer, love the shots.
Old 15th September 2010
Sharon

Are you coming to the Cotswold Airport? It's across the main road from the village where I live The traffic isn't too bad usually. Just a word of warning, if you're coming on Sunday..we're forecast some very wet and windy weather. Hope you have a good day anyway... I might have a wander down the road and take some shots
Old 15th September 2010

Liked 66 Times in 22 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I went to St Andrews on Saturday to see some of the flying display at Leuchars - The end of of the beach is just across the estuary from the base and the sun is behind you from there. A pretty good spot for pics. Seeing the Vulcan coming over was pretty amazing - If only I'd had my camera with me!
Old 16th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On a slightly different tangent. I fly RC airplanes and use my E450 with the 40-150 kit lens and get results like these. It does help that I am only 20 feet away from the action.

I really must treat myself to either an Oly 70-300 Or Sigma 135-400 (If only)

Tibenham 10-09-2010 (27) by kevinfairgrieve, on Flickr

Tibenham 10-09-2010 (3) by kevinfairgrieve, on Flickr

Tibbenham 4-8-2010 (31) by kevinfairgrieve, on Flickr

Tibenham 10-09-2010 (138) by kevinfairgrieve, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinfairgrieve/
Old 16th September 2010
Lascough

Sharon, yes I am going to Kemble. Thanks for the news regarding the traffic. I'm going on Saturday so should be better weather hopefully.
Old 16th September 2010
Lascough

Love the pics by the way NSS. They must be expensive to fix if you crash land.
Old 16th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They can indeed.

Ask me how I know

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinfairgrieve/
Old 18th September 2010
Sharon

Red face Re: NEWBIE - Airshow photos

OK.....can I just say ALL Apologies for my terrible advice re traffic Honestly, last year it was completely dead out there. I hope you got in OK and had a good day? If it makes you feel any better, I got stuck in the massive jam because I had to get over to Kemble train station

I watched some of the afternoon displays from a field behind my house
Old 19th September 2010
Lascough

It wasn't too bad for us Sharron. I managed to reach the turn off to the airfield just as it started to build up. By the look of the traffic parked on the A433 at the end it must have been bad out there. Did you manage to see the Airbus A380? That was impressive. i should have some photos sorted out soon so I will get the "best of a bad bunch" on there. Some of the lenses on show made me feel quite inadequate with my "toy" E420.
Old 19th September 2010
Sharon

I always think that when I go to airshows...and then i think, well i couldn't lift those lenses anyway LOL!

My other half was on twitter and someone tweeted that the Airbus had arrived so we ran from our house to a field and watched from there, saw the Vulcan too. It's become quite a regular round here as it often goes over Kemble to do practice runs. I've put a few pics up, they're not terribly good though.

Glad you had a good day and that you got in OK. We heard that they had to close the gates because they reached capacity and there were still 4 mile tailbacks each way on the 433! Everyone wanted to see the airbus and vulcan I think.
Old 2nd February 2012

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lascough View Post
Hi All,

Lee
Hi Lee,

Maybe this article i wrote here is of any use to you.
http://<b>http://e-group.uk.net/foru...hp?t=19037</b>
Just copy and paste it into your browser.
Greetz,

Oly OMD E-M 10 Mark II
Oly E-420
Oly Zuiko ED 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
Oly Zuiko ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6
Oly Zuiko ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
Samyang/Delamax 650-1300mm 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens
Chinon 500mm mirror 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens

https://adewit7.wixsite.com/aviationphotography

Last edited by buddha01; 3rd May 2016 at 12:43 AM. Reason: url was out of date