Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 2nd July 2019

Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
So far I can only select Single, Single small & then All in video. No 3x3 or 5x5.
I think you are right, Cross (5), 3x3 and 5x5 don't exist.
Are you simply selecting the mode then pressing the red button?
Old 2nd July 2019

Thanked 1,315 Times in 1,028 Posts
Liked 2,081 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
I think you are right, Cross (5), 3x3 and 5x5 don't exist.
Are you simply selecting the mode then pressing the red button?
I'm in Video mode on the Mode dial, selecting AF target (left button or Fn1) & the up/down buttons cycle through the available AF Target selection etc. Pressing the Record button starts & stops recording (that's the way I have mine set anyhow).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 2nd July 2019

Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I'm in Video mode on the Mode dial, selecting AF target (left button or Fn1) & the up/down buttons cycle through the available AF Target selection etc. Pressing the Record button starts & stops recording (that's the way I have mine set anyhow).
Yes, that works well.
I see that doing that also changes the focus areas after you turn the dial back to A for example. You would think that there would be a separate setting for video which would be set and stored separately to the still focus area settings.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (2nd July 2019)
Old 2nd July 2019

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

I thought it was just me not being able to find 3x3 or 5x5 but after another video attempt this morning I realize I would not be very good at keeping the target within such a box anyway!
I use the touchscreen to focus and refocus. Sometimes the camera loses focus anyway, not even focusing on anything. No wonder pros use manual focus with video! Lots of me lacking ability no doubt but even so. Think I'll stick to stills!
Old 2nd July 2019

Thanked 1,315 Times in 1,028 Posts
Liked 2,081 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
Yes, that works well.
I see that doing that also changes the focus areas after you turn the dial back to A for example. You would think that there would be a separate setting for video which would be set and stored separately to the still focus area settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
I thought it was just me not being able to find 3x3 or 5x5 but after another video attempt this morning I realize I would not be very good at keeping the target within such a box anyway!
I use the touchscreen to focus and refocus. Sometimes the camera loses focus anyway, not even focusing on anything. No wonder pros use manual focus with video! Lots of me lacking ability no doubt but even so. Think I'll stick to stills!
Now why didn't I think of that? Yes, the touch focus gives a range of X 3 to X 5, so should help if trying to isolate the focus around the centre in video.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3rd July 2019

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Had another go today. Realized I had C-AF plus tracking set. Works better without tracking, just enlarged the box with the little vertical slider so it was easier to keep on target. Still occasionally lost focus and then refocused pretty quickly on the target but no wandering off to focus on goodness knows where or on what.
Old 4th July 2019

Liked 242 Times in 57 Posts

I went birding yesterday and yes the AF is as good as the EM1X now so they made a great camera even greater.

Rob.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Miketoll (4th July 2019), Ross the fiddler (4th July 2019)
Old 4th July 2019

Liked 538 Times in 150 Posts

Been using v3 on mk2 since update day , camera seems better in high ISO settings than before. the centre start & priority did,nt help me in BIF shots, in fact I think it slowed focussing down a bit, all other upgade parts seem good.
Old 4th July 2019

Liked 3,048 Times in 876 Posts

Here is Matthieu's verdict on C-AF with v3.0 firmware:

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/sto...rds-in-flight/

Better than before but still not as good as E-M1X and Fuji X-T3 and way behind Sony A9.

Below the article he lists his choice of E-M1 II settings for birds in flight, which is worth a look.

Ron
drmarkf (4th July 2019)
Old 4th July 2019

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Here is Matthieu's verdict on C-AF with v3.0 firmware:

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/sto...rds-in-flight/

Better than before but still not as good as E-M1X and Fuji X-T3 and way behind Sony A9.

Below the article he lists his choice of E-M1 II settings for birds in flight, which is worth a look.

Ron
Thanks for that. Interesting and useful.

I suspect CAF performance with the 3x3 cluster will be better than the 5x5 as long as long as you can keep the smaller group on the target. So time spent practicing with your target species will pay dividends. This is true for the 5 to 3x3 step, anyway.

While reading the review it is worth not forgetting that the M1ii is 2 years older than the MX and the X-T3, and now very much cheaper than the MX and A9.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 4th July 2019

Liked 1,383 Times in 358 Posts

Nice Barn owl, Ron.

Now to the topic. I updated the FW to 3.0 and put it to test. Strong gusty winds were prevailing, meaning near perfect conditions for action down by the shore and some (at times) challenging BIF.

Basically I tested using both the 5x5 and 11x11 AF points, center AF priority. Used the focus limiter set to 35 meters to make sure I would not take these long distance shots that I would delete anyway. I came hone with some 1000 shots in total, I believe I have a sample population large enough for a fair assessment of the results.

Immediately after I started shooting I felt the behavior had changed. It is hard to explain in words, an attempt would be "the camera is better at re-acquiring focus after losing it". Before usually only the first or last shot/s in a sequence of say 5 shots would be in focus, if/when camera lost focus then it would have been a lost cause.

Each frame was reviewed on an arbitrary scale where:
0 is totally blurred
4 parts of the bird is in focus although where you want it, some front/back issues
5 is spot on

From the ~1000 photos: 260+ were rated 5, some 300-400 I rated 4. Keep in mind this was under real field conditions, windy, fast action taking place at 10-30 meters distance. I believe this is remarkable, a clear improvement from brefore. Most sequences had at least 1 or 2 keepers, at a few occasions I got none rated at least 4. Don't ask me why.

Thank you Olympus for walking the extra mile and delivering this 3.0 FW update!

The windy conditions are supposed to end next week, when that happens I will test the S-AF and report my findings in this thread.

I can upload some photos in the photo fair section if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Tord

My Gallery on 500px
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tordan58 For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (5th July 2019), JohnGG (5th July 2019), Olybirder (4th July 2019), Ross the fiddler (5th July 2019)
The Technician (5th July 2019)
Old 4th July 2019

Liked 3,048 Times in 876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
I can upload some photos in the photo fair section if anyone is interested.
I would be interested in seeing your photos Tord.

Ron
Old 5th July 2019

Liked 102 Times in 60 Posts

Hello all it has been a while. There are not a lot of birds flying here in Arizona other than the rather ugly California Condor, so for me testing out the new firmware has been difficult. I did manage to test it on Hummingbirds, and it did perform quite well. There also was the opportunity to focus on a Cactus Wren at a distance. For that I used the 5x5, and C-AF center priority, AF sensitivity -2. To my surprise the bird took flight and the focus square tracked, and I took the shot. As far as I can tell the bird was, or would be in focus...did I mention I was in AZ...heat haze distorted the image badly.

Monday I sat at the end of runway at Nellis AFB NV to see what I might be able to capture. It was 108F and around Noon so there was a lot of heat coming from the desert floor.

First, the F-16's...Thunderbirds. Set up: Aperture priority, S-AF all 121 points in cluster focus mode.

I was pumping the shutter button to update the focus. That didn't always work....

resulting photo's like that a lot more than I would have figured.

Then I switched to C-AF, no tracking, 121 focus points and C-AF center start for the F-22's

Against the blue sky the camera found the plane and kept the focus box cluster over it all the way. Heat haze wreaking havoc with the pic. But they were flying a left pattern to runway 21L and I was at the Raceway enterance, quite a ways off. The Thunderbird was landing 21R.

Then more F-16's departed the area. I switched to the 5 point cross C-AF and tracked them as they flew past the mountains to see what happened. The focus wandered as the plane passed the mountains. I switched sensitivity to +2. and:

this seemed to be the norm.

I did not bring a notebook, I did not devise a plan to check every aspect and document the results. I had thought of this but did not do it at this time. Plus it was 108F air temp, little hotter standing out in the desert taking pictures, cooler days are coming.

Every once in a while some one is running late, this is #3 of a 3 ship.

Second time I have seen one still in full reheat off the end of runway. 2 Had taken off and no sooner had I got back in the cool car than I saw this guy breaking ground.

One setting I forgot to mention, and is more than likely why these are soft...Sharpness was set to -1. I am going to change that.
griffljg (5th July 2019), GyRob (5th July 2019), Ross the fiddler (5th July 2019)
Old 5th July 2019

Liked 1,383 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I would be interested in seeing your photos Tord.

Ron
Hi Ron,

Please see these threads:
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50943
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50944

Cheers
Tord

My Gallery on 500px
GyRob (5th July 2019), Ross the fiddler (5th July 2019)
Old 7th July 2019

Liked 102 Times in 60 Posts

I did not toss the cactus wren photo as I had thought. I will leave it up to the group to decide on the focus. Shutter priority, 1/2000s, 75-300mm @300 wide open, original image about a stop and a half under exposed. C-AF 5x5 box center priority. The bird was perched on the branches that are in focus, camera was locked on. As he took flight, the focus square followed and I took the shot. Reviewing the image in camera with all the details shows the green square on the birds back. At this time the C-AF sensitivity was set to -2 as well. I would estimate the distance to nearly a 1/4 mile...but I am bad with distance. Throughout that afternoon I did shoot crows and condors but those were at least a half mile off. Our blocks out here in the desert are 1/2 x 1/4 mile, and they were clearly past the telegraph poles the other end of the block. I can't tell how well the camera did do to the heat haze at that range, although it did lock on.