Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 13th June 2015

Liked 774 Times in 183 Posts
Re: Is it Flickr degrading my posted images.

Not complicated at all Paul
Once logged into Flickr, Click the arrow icon on the right of the image and all your links are there.
If you want to post an image from Flickr to here, all you need to do is select BBCode, choose size from the drop down menu and copy the link

SIMPLES as those annoying wee rodents say

Mike
Old 13th June 2015

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I was going to post a picture from the gallery and the same picture via Flickr, to compare. However, I cannot work out how to link from Flickr - it seems very complicated compared to the ease of using the forum gallery.
I will get around to doing this for comparison.
Old 13th June 2015

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
Dave, you spend all that time and effort getting your pictures to look their very best, so why compromise them at the final stage - displaying on the forum? Surely they are worth that little bit of extra effort to upload direct to your gallery, then post in threads from there? Before uploading I would recommend resizing to 864 pixels along the longest edge for landscape format and 720 pixels for portrait format, at 72ppi. I then sharpen gently, with a radius of around 0.6 and amount 65, using Adobe Elements (other software is available). I then save at the highest quality possible without the file size exceeding 500kb.
Thanks for this, tell me, do you sharpen both before and after resizing?
Old 13th June 2015

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Sorry Paul, I misunderstood. When you get things sorted on a new site, perhaps you can let us know where it is.

No prob Graham I'm just linking from my Pbase site again (its in my sig) since the problems I've had with flickr, I've been with Pbase since 2004, it's a little old fashioned but it does the job....a bit like me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 13th June 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,458 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
Thanks for this, tell me, do you sharpen both before and after resizing?
No, only after resizing. The amount of sharpening required for a 16 x 12 print at 300ppi can be very different from what is required for an 864 x 648 pixel image for posting on the forum. All the pictures that I cherish are saved and stored as unsharpened TIF files.

I think this is the problem with Flickr. You upload a full resolution image and the site automatically generates a whole range of different sizes, none of which give you any control over sharpening or compression. In my view Flickr is great for sharing pictures with other photographers on Flickr, but not other sites.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th June 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

When uploading to flickr are photos sharpened for you, meaning it's counter productive to sharpen in the PPing SW, such as LR?
Further to that, if my understanding is correct, sites such as this add a further dose of sharpening, so they end up sharper than a Gillette razor blade, but not as useful.

on flickr
Old 13th June 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,458 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
When uploading to flickr are photos sharpened for you, meaning it's counter productive to sharpen in the PPing SW, such as LR?
Further to that, if my understanding is correct, sites such as this add a further dose of sharpening, so they end up sharper than a Gillette razor blade, but not as useful.
I think that's about the gist of it. The bottom line is that you have little or no control.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (13th June 2015)
Old 13th June 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
I was going to post a picture from the gallery and the same picture via Flickr, to compare. However, I cannot work out how to link from Flickr - it seems very complicated compared to the ease of using the forum gallery.
Can do it from an iPad too. Dave in Wales produced a 'how to' in the tutorial section.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (13th June 2015)