Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-420

Old 22nd March 2013

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts
Re: E-420 converted to full spectrum

Hi there everyone!

I'm not sure about the micro four-thirds being any easier as I think you would still have to remove the sensor from behind the shutter, for the simple reason that I think the SSWF filter glass is larger than the shutter aperture (I know you can open the shutter for cleaning, but I don't think youy get to see the whole of the SSWF filter glass). Therefore you would still have to open the camera up and remove the sensor from behind the shutter mechanism. That being said, the E-PL1 seems to be a popular conversion to do (I haven't added on to my collection yet, but do keep getting tempted!)

Second attempt at cleaning behind the SSWF today, it looks like I've got all the bits of dust today, I'll just have to see how it goes. Now for some sunshine (he says, watching the snow fall).

Cheers, Ralph.
Old 27th March 2013

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hey Ralph,
wanted to say Thanks a lot! for your effort in putting this how-2 together - and also for providing the links, which I will follow soon.
All this looks a bit more complicated then I had thought though. And with the price tag of that Quartz glass plus an spare E-body, which I don't currently own, it get's a tud out of the fun experimental corner into something serious. I will have to wait till I can get a bargain somewhere ...

Falk
Old 27th March 2013

Hi there Falk!

The glass was quite expensive, but the quality is what you are paying for - the cheaper glass can have tiny bubbles in which will leave permenant spots on your images. The extra body isn't that much of an expense though - E-410 and 420 bodies seem to be going for about 70 on ebay every so often (mine was 60 because the eyecup was missing and the card cover won't stay shut - I had a spare eye-cup anyway and 2" of electrical tape sorted the door!)

The total cost of the project - 120. To put this into perspective the bodies on ebay that have been converted professionally in the states are around 300 plus postage and import taxes - making them well out of my price range.

The other option is renting from Ian on the forum - he has an IR converted E-PL1 available to hire. For me this was a more limited approach as it is a fixed wavelength conversion - with mine I have a little more flexibility, but if you aren't sure how much use you will get from a converted camera it may well be worth trying first for a few days before committing a large wedge of cash.

I'm glad you enjoyed the how to, and I hope it will inspire people to have a go, it's always easier to be brave when you have seen others have succeeded!

Happy tinkering,

Ralph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
Falk (29th March 2013)
Old 27th June 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi

Could you mail me the details for the glass please
Old 27th June 2013

Thanked 1,492 Times in 1,420 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Still no idea what a "hot mirror" is but it all sounds jolly interesting.
Old 27th June 2013

Hi there everyone!

Fire phinix i'll have to send it later, the e-mail is on my works computer.

OMuser, the hot mirror is a piece of glass fitted in front of the sensor that allows visible light through, but reflects infra red and ultra violet light which the sensor would be able to see and would have a detrimental effect on the image. When I have done my conversion I have removed this and fitted a piece of quartz glass instead, which allows everything through, but now if I want to take a normal photo, I have to fit an external hot mirror in the form of a screw on filter. Hope this helps

Cheers,

Ralph.

Last edited by Ralph Harwood; 27th June 2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Atrocious typing on my touchscreen mobile
Old 10th July 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ralph

Thanks for the info and your guide for how to do it, which I have now done

Just a quick question what settings do you use for your pics? Obviously in manual but iv been playing around and can't quite seem to get it right. Iv got a 760nm filter but I have got some more coming soon.

Thanks again

Firephinix
Old 10th July 2013

Liked 295 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
there isn't anyone I could find in the UK doing it at the moment,(
Take a look at www.advancedcameraservices.co.uk

Regards

Simon
Old 10th July 2013

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

Wow! I just used to eat in my lunch hour, what a great peice of work thanks for the discription. looking forward to more photographs.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 10th July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firephinix View Post
Hi Ralph

Thanks for the info and your guide for how to do it, which I have now done

Just a quick question what settings do you use for your pics? Obviously in manual but iv been playing around and can't quite seem to get it right. Iv got a 760nm filter but I have got some more coming soon.

Thanks again

Firephinix
Hi there Firephinix!

I'm afraid there is no great secret to using it - I tend to use trial and error! The focussing on mine seems to work well (S-AF on Liveview which uses contrast autofocussing), exposure can be a bit hit and miss. Because your eye isn't blocking the viewfinder you should really have the blanking plate fitted to stop stray light affecting the exposure. I tend to use the Aperture setting (somewhere between f8 and f16) and have a few tries at various exposure compensation levels to get the best image on the screen and use the RAW image with photoshop elements 11 to get the exposure perfect. I also tend to use ISO 200 to give myself some headroom to make sure I don't over expose massively.

Other than that it is a case of choosing a nice sunny day and experimenting! Enjoy your newly modified camera!

Cheers,

Ralph.

PS thanks for the info Simon, I didn't find them when I was looking around, if anyone has tried them on the forum I'd be interested to hear their opinions.
Old 11th July 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah focusing works really well iv tried different setting ect but the post processing doesnt seem to come out as well as the ones iv seen on the net, thus thinking its the settings but i guess its a case of practice, practice and more practice. i dont use photoshop im using gimp which i have found some tuts on the tube about but as i said cant seem to get it right
Old 12th July 2013

Hi there Firephinix!

I have the same issues with post processing when I try to get false colour images (blue skies and white trees) with the 760nm filter or the 850nm filter - both of these seem to work better with black and white images. I have had some limited success with 720nm filters and even a 650nm filter both of which seem to work ok when you channel swap the red and blue channels. I'll post some images later if I get a chance to get them off my computer.

The great advantage of the full spectrum conversion is that it takes only seconds to swap between the filters!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 12th July 2013

Thanked 1,492 Times in 1,420 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
...the hot mirror is a piece of glass fitted in front of the sensor that allows visible light through, but reflects infra red and ultra violet light which the sensor would be able to see and would have a detrimental effect on the image...
Ralph, thanks for the explanation.