Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th April 2013
Kiwi Paul

Your minds eye and visualization

How do you think, in words, with pictures, a combination of both or in some abstract way?
I can't really visualize pictures in my head, I can't imagine smell , taste or touch, in my head it's all words, there are times I can imagine images but it's foggy and there is no detail and the image is gone in a flash.
I did a search on the web about this and found some really interesting threads about this very subject and I'm pleased to report I'm not alone.

What really amazed me was some folk can visualize so well, really clear images of anything they want at will, and others are the same with smell, touch and taste.
There was one girl who not only can't visualize but also doesn't 'think' with words, she finds it hard to explain but says she thinks in some abstract way without words or pictures, bizarre!!

So how does your mind work?

Paul
Old 24th April 2013

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts
Re: Your minds eye and visualization

Slowly? Happy with graphic images difficult with words and figures

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 24th April 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

See pictures and the words just come to describe them
Old 24th April 2013

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi everyone!

My mind seems to work with images, words and 3d spaces (well, to a fair degree anyway!) The last one is probably due to having spent half my life as an engineer trying to get to things I can't quite see so have to "visualise" by searching with touch. People often look at me strangely as I sit there with both hands in a machine up to my shoulders either with my eyes closed or staring off into the distance!

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
Wee man (24th April 2013)
Old 24th April 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi everyone!

My mind seems to work with images, words and 3d spaces (well, to a fair degree anyway!) The last one is probably due to having spent half my life as an engineer trying to get to things I can't quite see so have to "visualise" by searching with touch. People often look at me strangely as I sit there with both hands in a machine up to my shoulders either with my eyes closed or staring off into the distance!

Cheers,

Ralph.
I can relate to that always said that designers should be made to repair 5 years on. Might make them think ?
Old 25th April 2013

Liked 1,290 Times in 498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
My mind seems to work with images, words and 3d spaces ... due to having spent half my life as an engineer trying to get to things I can't quite see
Yes, that is exactly how I work and how I visualise an image. I pre-arrange the composition in my head as I walk towards the subject and then re-arrange the elements of the image in the real world by moving my viewpoint to get the right look. Generally I come across as an old nutcase wandering around aimlessly.

edit: Actually I do sometimes duck and dive and shift from side to side to get a pleasing composition even if I don't have a camera with me. Sorry about that.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 25th April 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Yes, that is exactly how I work and how I visualise an image. I pre-arrange the composition in my head as I walk towards the subject and then re-arrange the elements of the image in the real world by moving my viewpoint to get the right look. Generally I come across as an old nutcase wandering around aimlessly.

edit: Actually I do sometimes duck and dive and shift from side to side to get a pleasing composition even if I don't have a camera with me. Sorry about that.
I wish I could be as creative as that

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 25th April 2013

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Pictures.

Thats how I remember things from the past and I spent too long in a drawing office having to visualise 3D objects from 2D drawings.

Was once asked by a lighting lecturer what I had problems with, visualising the image I wanted or achieving what I visualised. Made me realise I need to think more before I picked up camera rather than shoot and hope.

Gary
Old 25th April 2013

Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,467 Posts
Liked 4,242 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's an interesting question that I've long since pondered myself, Paul.

Not until my late 'forties' did I learn that not everyone thought in pictures or in colour.
I cannot conceive how thought could be possible without vizualization, yet obviously it is.

In different ways I have difficulty with words, vocabulary and spelling have always been ok, I'm still learning, especially new words - like "Troll" for example and an archaic one just learnt today from Lyn, "contemn" ... what an ugly word!

Main difficulty is remembering sentences verbatim, I just can't do it. I'm hopeless at understanding written instructions and often disregard them when I do!

I enjoy writing letters of complaint when occasion demands.

Well, there's a lot more to it than that but I will leave it there.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 25th April 2013

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

I find a picture far more helpful than words. I also find I can see many more errors in my photos after I have taken the shot than when I'm composing it. I can understand now how good old fashoned polaroid shots can help a film director and lighting crew set up a shoot.
Old 25th April 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wish I could get inside my mind ... it is a truly beautiful place to behold

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 25th April 2013

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

I can and often try to pre-visualise photographs. I'm not sure if I see them in colour.
In general memory, I have in my mind's eye a model of Scotland (and other places I've been to). If someone asks me a question about a place or an item such as natural history, I mentally zoom into the right place in the model and all sorts of things manifest themselves. All connected with that place. Interestingly I have difficulty remembering the names of people I have met although I never forget a face. So I usually nod non-committally.
My greatest memory disappointment is that I seem to have a block on memorising poetry. I would love to be able, as a couple of my friends do, to recite from memory Tam o'Shanter.
I also knew a young lad who was exceptionally good at music. Not only did he hear it, remember it or compose it but he comprehended it as a colour.

Lots of toys.