Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 30th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
longer lens beginner with 50-200 on E3

My 50-200 SWD came yesterday, I've been messing about with it.

I've been photographing for decades, but never with anything approaching a (35mm equiv) 400 fl lens.

So far the lens seems excellent and the auto-focus good.

BUT....using it is a new experience. Compared with the 12-60, the depth of field seems minute at wide openings. Closing it down increases exposure time to the point where concerns about camera shake and motion blurr are pushing me to higher ISOs.

I'm sure I'll come to terms with it soon, but right now I'm full of admiration for some of the pictures I've seen posted here and on dpreview. I just hadn't realised the problems involved.

I have it on a tripod for shooting birds from my window at the moment, but plan to take it out on the hills when the weather improves.

Any tips would be welcome.

Best wishes to all, Rens
Old 30th March 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: longer lens beginner with 50-200 on E3

Hi Rens

Make sure you have IS1 turned on and I am sure you'll be producing some great shots with this lens. I have the 70-300mm which is a lot slower, ut regularly shoot birds through my window at slow(ish) speeds and they are OK.

Here's one:

Old 30th March 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Rens

On the E3 I find I get perfectly good picture up to 800iso as long as you get the exposure right in the first place and do not have to adjust in PP to much.
I normally shoot at about F6.3.If I can get the shutter speed up enough I dont use the IS.I use the rule of thumb that shutter speed should be twice the focal length.I will engage the IS if it slips to low.

One from the other day.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 30th March 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,267 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Rens

On the E3 I find I get perfectly good picture up to 800iso as long as you get the exposure right in the first place and do not have to adjust in PP to much.
I normally shoot at about F6.3.If I can get the shutter speed up enough I dont use the IS.I use the rule of thumb that shutter speed should be twice the focal length.I will engage the IS if it slips to low.

One from the other day.
Interesting - what's the general opinion about using IS? Leave it on all the time, or only for shots below a certain shutter speed (in relation to focal length)?

I tend to leave it on unless the camera is mounted on a tripod.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 30th March 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Interesting - what's the general opinion about using IS? Leave it on all the time, or only for shots below a certain shutter speed (in relation to focal length)?

Ian
On the 50-200 (even with ec1.4) attached I tend not to engage IS for bird shots (usually 1/250 or faster), but will use it for architecture or plant shots (where the lens is normally a bit closed down, lower iso, lower speed).

On the Sigma 135-400 (+ec1.4) I tend to engage it.

On the 11-22, hardly ever except indoors (but it usually doesn't apply as I'm likely to be using delay and a tripod for indoor shots).

I think it is a combination of both practise, the physical weight of the lens and the angle it is held at (pointing more than a few degrees upwards and I tend to wobble).

I remember my first few shots with the 50-200, didn't think I'd be able to use it without a stand/pod, but a bit of experience proved otherwise.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 31st March 2008
250swb

Quote:
Ditto.

Switching it off when on a tripod is important because the IS always assumes there is a job to do, and so continues work even if the camera is perfectly steady. It is easy to test this with a couple of tripod macro shots to check the image quality, the IS enabled image will be slightly blurry. An if you also use a long exposure you will hear the IS moving the sensor around.
Old 31st March 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Ian
This may be me but I find a higher shutter speeds I get more consistant results with the IS off.As we've said before on cameras everything is a compromise.
It does seem to work for me a lower shutter speeds.
Also I am very aware of the extra power the IS uses and also this is another moving part and therefore could be a failure point.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 31st March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I find a higher shutter speeds I get more consistant results with the IS off

Odd. I've been using IS unless on a tripod as a matter of course. I wonder why short exposures might work better without. I'll give it a try, though so far haven't found the light permits many short exposures at f 6.3. If it did, I think I'd be inclined to drop the ISO and keep IS on.

Rens

PS I'm starting to get the hang of things. Saw birds in trees as dark blobs, the pp'd photo showed them clearly as starlings (sorry about the sharpening artefacts). I'm putting this in my forum gallery, but is it possible to put it straight into the text of the post?

Last edited by Rens; 31st March 2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: adding to text