Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Old 1st April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Need Help!

After years of using my Olympus C7070. I decided to take the plunge and buy my first dslr. Lots of research and forum trawling followed. In the end i decided on the E600 as the best value for money dslr out there in my budget - for 289 i got the 14-42 kit Olympus factory refurbished with 90 warranty , bargain. 21/2 months down the line I'm very happy. Although the intermittent fault of stopping focusing, and needing to refit the lens to get it to work was a little worrying. The seller as been great. They have no more in stock so have offered a full refund or another model to the same cost. Here lies the problem, what should i replace my E600 with:
Ep1 single kit refurbished 247
E620 single kit new 450
E620 body only new 350
Pentax k-x new white! 350
Panasonic G10 single kit 225
Panasonic G2 single kit 365

I still have both oly kit lenses plus various converted Konica hexanon for the E600. Is the EP1 a viable replacement, are the Panasonic or Pentax worthy contenders.
Any advise would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 2nd April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: I Need Help!

Hi Bovitz and welcome to the forum.

To narrow that list down I think we really need to establish whether or not an SLR would be best for you. If you do a lot of action photography then yes, an SLR would be the most suitable.

If your subjects are mainly static or slow moving and you would appreciate a smaller, more portable and discreet camera then a Micro Four Thirds model may be the way to go. Then the question becomes Olympus or Panasonic. The Panasonics listed both have a built in EVF (electronic viewfinder) and resemble a miniature SLR, but without the mirror or optical viewfinder, of course.

The Olympus E-P1 is smaller still and very well made and stylish. However, it does not have a built in EVF and neither can one be fitted to the hot shoe, unlike later models, so you have to use the rear screen for viewing all the time. This does not bother some people but others find it an awkward and unnatural way to hold a camera and some have trouble viewing the screen in bright sunlight. Also, there is no built in flash with the E-P1. On the other hand, the E-P1 has full functionality with your existing kit lenses (I assume one of them is the 40-150mm) via an adapter. They can also be fitted via an adapter to the Panasonics but I believe that the funcionality is more limited.

Provided you can have a cash refund and are not limited only to those cameras on the list, you could consider a later Olympus Pen model, such as the E-PL1 which does have a built in flash and will accept an accessory EVF in the hot shoe. Bear in mind though that an accessory EVF is not cheap! Switching to a Micro Four Thirds camera therefore has both advantages and disadvantages and you would need to consider what is important to you.

I tend to think that as you were happy with the E-600 it may pay to stick to an SLR unless the type of photography you do particularly suits the form and function of a Micro Four Thirds camera. The Pentax on the list is a good camera but won't be compatable with your existing lenses.

As you already have two Olympus kit lenses plus various Hexanons the new E-620 body on the list for 350 starts to look very good value and unless there are good reasons why an alternative would be better for your particular type of photography, that's the one I would go for.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 3rd April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Zuiko,
Thanks for your reply. It certainly makes things a lot clearer. You are right about me being happy with the E600 and that the natural thing to do was go with the E 620 body only. My only worry was that a body only deal at 350 was too much considering the price i paid for the E600 kit. I do shoot everything from portraits to cyclocross races, when not taking part,wild life, landscapes even. So an all rounder is important. The Olympus EPL1 is on offer also at about 250 refurbished - Ive read many a great review on its IQ. The compact size is tempting however as you stated there is no VF and to buy one could be an extra 190. The price seemed very good 100 cheaper than the E620. Budget is a factor, however getting the best camera for my needs is important also, which is why my initial purchase was very good and met all my criteria. It is down to the E620 body 350 new or the EPL1 Kit 14-42 8gb refurb 250. Ive read so many reviews its seems to be personal taste more than anything else to separate them. IQ is said to be better on the EPL1, however if both are used in raw the difference is negligible and of course the compact size but expensive VF is another.
It really is up in the air for me, do i spend 50 or 50 less and try something different, i don't know. What would you do?
Old 3rd April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If size matters and you want a small camera that you can easily take with you wherever you go the EP-1 is great, although it has some limitations (no view finder, slow autofocus). If you like your E600 and size isn't really an issue I would go for the E620. It is a very good camera, I owned one and only sold it to finance my E5.
Old 3rd April 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
If size matters and you want a small camera that you can easily take with you wherever you go the EP-1 is great, although it has some limitations (no view finder, slow autofocus). If you like your E600 and size isn't really an issue I would go for the E620. It is a very good camera, I owned one and only sold it to finance my E5.
I never understand this reasoning, unless you use a E-P1/2 with a pancake lens it's not pocket camera. And if you take a standard short zoom lens and a telephoto zoom with it for versatility then you will need a small camera bag.

And if you have to take a small camera bag with you it's just as easy to put a two kit lens E-620 in it and with hardley any extra weight!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 3rd April 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovitz View Post
... the intermittent fault of stopping focusing, and needing to refit the lens to get it to work was a little worrying.
Before changing cameras you should scrub the lens and body contacts with a pencil-eraser : it has sometimes cured the problem according to a few comments from t'internet.
Old 3rd April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
I never understand this reasoning, unless you use a E-P1/2 with a pancake lens it's not pocket camera. And if you take a standard short zoom lens and a telephoto zoom with it for versatility then you will need a small camera bag.

And if you have to take a small camera bag with you it's just as easy to put a two kit lens E-620 in it and with hardley any extra weight!
The EP-1 with kit lens fits in my coat pocket. I also have a very small bag for it that I can comfortably hold in one hand or hang over my shoulder or attach to my belt without feeling any weight or being hindered by it's size.
I can't do that with my E5 with 50-200 or 12-60.
Old 3rd April 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
The EP-1 with kit lens fits in my coat pocket. I also have a very small bag for it that I can comfortably hold in one hand or hang over my shoulder or attach to my belt without feeling any weight or being hindered by it's size.
I can't do that with my E5 with 50-200 or 12-60.
True but your comparing a E-5 to a E-620 and the question is about a E-620.

My twin lens E-620 kit fit in a bag no bigger than a ladies handbag and is no weight at all compared to my E-30 or E-1 kit which certainly would not get close to fitting in it.

E-620 130x94x60cm 475gms
E-P1 120x70x35cm 335gms

Not a massive difference as we are talking centimetres.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 3rd April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
True but your comparing a E-5 to a E-620 and the question is about a E-620.

My twin lens E-620 kit fit in a bag no bigger than a ladies handbag and is no weight at all compared to my E-30 or E-1 kit which certainly would not get close to fitting in it.

E-620 130x94x60cm 475gms
E-P1 120x70x35cm 335gms

Not a massive difference as we are talking centimetres.
I've used them side by side and I found the difference big enough. The E620 package is more than twice the size! And double the weight if you count the lenses. I just mentioned the E5 because I don't have the E620 any more, but I don't think the E620 and the E5 differ much in size and weight.
I always have all my cameras ready to grab whenever I leave the house and my experience is that I often grab the EP-1 for convenience sake. In particular when I'm not going out on a planned photography expedition, but when I want to take a camera for just-in-case and you-never-know.
Just my experience.
Old 5th April 2011

Quote:
... but I don't think the E620 and the E5 differ much in size and weight.
You're talking rubbish.

Last edited by Zuiko; 5th April 2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Inappropriate word replaced
Old 5th April 2011
Administrator

E-3 with 14-42mm 1181g (in practice you would more likely use it with 14-54mm or 12-60mm)

E-520 with 14-42mm 850g

G1 with 14-45mm 685g

E-PL1 with 14-42mm 502g

There is about the same difference between the E-520 and E-3 as between the E-PL1 and the E-520.

The Pen is clearly much lighter than any other combination and much smaller when lined up on my desk. Whilst it is true that you still need a bag, it can be a much smaller bag - or just carry it around your neck all day.

Paired with the Panny 20mm the Pen does indeed become a pocket camera, not a trouser pocket but it does fit in a fleece jacket for instance.

The best choice is the one that suits your individual needs and best matches your priorities.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post

You're talking rubbish.
You posted quite something different at first I believe.

The E620 and the E5 both don't fit in my coat pocket (with a kit lens), the EP-1 does. That's my point, nothing else is very relevant in this discussion I think.
Old 5th April 2011

The joys of invisible moderation!
Old 5th April 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Just be aware that the Pens, and to some extent the Panny G series, aren't very good at action photos.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 5th April 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post

The joys of invisible moderation!
I didn't think it was that invisible.

No harm done, but passions can run high on internet forums and quickly escalate. We don't want this friendly forum turning into TP do we?