Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th March 2011

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Question auto distortion correction

Hi!

I use OlyViewer to process my ORF-files and almost always have the 'Auto Distortion Correction' enabled when I do so. I shoot mostly tele and macro in my mainly nature oriantated photography. So I seldom have any straight lines or architecture present which would maybe show distortion from the lense.

I feel the corrected photos tend to loose a bit of detail and/or sharpness sometimes, compared to the uncorrected OOC-jpg's. I don't know how the software does it's job but guess it certainly has to stretch and compress some pixles to level the distortions out. Especially for stretched parts there must be a lack of information, as far as the image content is concerned. The only thing I can think of is, that pixle data is extrapolated from the adjectend ones. But are these inserted pixles anything more then Artifacts?!

My question therefor is this:
Will I be better of if I don't use the correction feature in Viewer?