Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 24th June 2013

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
35mm Canon AE-1 - France

Took my old 35mm for a spin a few weeks back and really enjoyed the experience shooting film again, it just has this magic experience compared to Digital, I also think it helps creativity too.

Colours are great, pics are silky and the grain.. oohhh the grain,
Check it out if you want..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 24th June 2013

Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Re: 35mm Canon AE-1 - France

I still shoot a lot with film and old film cameras I could only dream about when they first came out. I recently bought a Canon T90 and 50mm f1.4 lens, both of which had hardly been used, for 89 from a dealer (incl a 6 month warranty). It's just as well the cameras are cheap because there are precious few bargains to be had in films nowadays (since the government closed the VAT loophole on items from the Channel Islands).

The post Office isn't helping either. Not that long ago I used to be able to send a film away for processing for 58p. Then they changed their price structure and it cost me 2.70. Recently they changed it again and it now costs 3. Daylight robbery!

Here are a couple o0f my filmic efforts.

Phone box & View Towards Conista by Elmer Duck, on Flickr

The Quiraing - Isle of Skye by Elmer Duck, on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to greyhound For This Useful Post:
Bangonthedoortwice (24th June 2013)
Old 24th June 2013

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Both pictures are superb. I love the way the first one has the countryside with the old phone box dumped just 'there'.

Isle of Skye looks so sharp with depth, the shadows from the clouds are gorgeous and i also like the snake swivel road to the bottom right that draws my eyes down there. Well done, film still has its place! Personally i prefer the IQ from 35mm.

PP prices have rocketed, they are so high nowadays i agree with you. Where was it you could process for 58p though? And you must've had many physical prints? I seem to not print as many now with Digital, i just keep seeing plastic images of late. I just have two large boring square black boxes (hard drives) and less prints.

I took 4 films to be developed to my local town a fortnight go, Fujifilm ISO 100 24 exp - and no shops would process them and put them on my memory card or USB pen (Boots/Max Spielman/Tesco/Fairs. Instead, M.S. insisted on putting each roll of film on a seperate CD (my Laptop doesn't even have a CD drive) and £4 for each roll which was the cheapest) and at which took 3hrs with no physical prints £16 for four films! If it was cheap i would shoot film so much more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bangonthedoortwice For This Useful Post:
greyhound (25th June 2013)
Old 25th June 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangonthedoortwice View Post
Both pictures are superb. I love the way the first one has the countryside with the old phone box dumped just 'there'.

Isle of Skye looks so sharp with depth, the shadows from the clouds are gorgeous and i also like the snake swivel road to the bottom right that draws my eyes down there. Well done, film still has its place! Personally i prefer the IQ from 35mm.

PP prices have rocketed, they are so high nowadays i agree with you. Where was it you could process for 58p though? And you must've had many physical prints? I seem to not print as many now with Digital, i just keep seeing plastic images of late. I just have two large boring square black boxes (hard drives) and less prints.

I took 4 films to be developed to my local town a fortnight go, Fujifilm ISO 100 24 exp - and no shops would process them and put them on my memory card or USB pen (Boots/Max Spielman/Tesco/Fairs. Instead, M.S. insisted on putting each roll of film on a seperate CD (my Laptop doesn't even have a CD drive) and 4 for each roll which was the cheapest) and at which took 3hrs with no physical prints 16 for four films! If it was cheap i would shoot film so much more.
The 58p was for postage only, not for actual processing. Now it costs 3.
For colour print films I use Photo Express in Hull who will process the film and scan to CD for 5.50. I never bother with prints as I can usually do better printing them on my own printer at home.

Both of the images above were shot on slide film. The bottom one was shot on Fuji Provia and the top one on Agfaphoto CT Precisa. The Agfa film is a budget film which many people think is actually Provia which has failed Fuji's very strict quality control. It's made in Japan so it must be Fuji of some description. I think both films have a very similar colour palette so I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same.

I send my slide films to E6processing.co.uk who process and scan the film for 9. The scans are excellent quality but unfortunately they charge 4 for return postage. If you add up the cost of the budget slide film, processing and postage it comes to 20 per film. It definitely makes you a lot more careful at the shooting stage.
Old 25th June 2013

Liked 295 Times in 147 Posts

There is an excellent piece of software produced by Alien Skin Software called Exposure 5 which will more than satisfy anyone wanting a trip down memory lane to the days of Analog (Film) photography. Worth trying out for free, mind you it doesn't come cheap, about 129.00.

I hope digital aficionados will give it a whirl they might just like the look of it.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
The Following User Says Thank You to tomphotofx For This Useful Post:
Old 25th June 2013

Liked 295 Times in 147 Posts

For the price of 7 films you could buy Exposure by Alien Skin, food for thought and no more paying out for film.

Like the look of No2 The Quiraing.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 25th June 2013

The trouble is that I have enough old film cameras to open a shop and I like to give them an airing every now and then. I do appreciate the convenience and economy of digital and for anything important I use my E3 but I still derive pleasure from the analogue experience.

I have shot the above scenes many times on digital but I honestly think that these film versions are better. The shot of the Quiraing was taken with a Rollei 35RF which is a copy of a Voigtlander rangefinder. The lens was a 40mm Sonnar which has something of a cult status because of what folk perceive as its particular qualities. It sells for ridiculous money on Ebay. Luckily I managed to pick it up for a song.

For ultimate quality I don't think you can beat digital but, like the OP, I still think there is a place for film, even if you do pay for the experience.
Old 25th June 2013

Liked 2,730 Times in 940 Posts

I only a link to somewhere I am not going sorry.

Greyhound those are great shots.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

The Following User Says Thank You to alfbranch For This Useful Post:

Tags
35mm, ae1, canon, film