Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 8th December 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stuck SD Card

I've had a bit of a problem tonight - my SD card seems to be stuck in my E-M5. It springs out like normal when you press it in, but then only pulls out a few more millimetres before feeling stuck.

Has anyone had this issue before, any hints on whether it is possible to get it out? From looking around the web it seems I could screw the camera up if I try to force it out, so perhaps I'll have to send it in for repair. If I do what's the recommended route for repairs for an E-M5?

Luckily the card still seems to be readable by the camera, so I'm going to live with connecting the camera via USB for a while until I can get it afford to wait for it to be repaired (like after Christmas..)

Thanks in advance
Old 8th December 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Stuck SD Card

it appears from you description as if the card is catching on a contact at some point between being released and when it's 'jammed'.

the one thing I would try if it was me would be to make up a plastic plate to slide down the contact side of the card (piece of lemonade bottle and chamfer the leading edge?) in an attempt to keep the catching elements apart when you then release the card to remove.

however, even then you have the issue of what to do next if the card doesn't seem to be the damaged element. even if the card is clearly damaged it may well have created a distorted contact.

put another way, I would probably try this after Christmas just before sending it in!
Old 9th December 2013

Thanked 1,120 Times in 702 Posts
Liked 1,463 Times in 731 Posts

This Q was raised on another forum and the results were DIY 0 - OEM 1.

Does the camera still fall under warranty? If so, common sense is send it in for repair.

If not, common sense says send it in for repair. If you're lucky it may even get done for free as a goodwill gesture.

The DIY effort ended up with part of the card being damaged when being removed. The new card went in and jammed solid because there was a small part of the original still left.

If you try and fail then... you've scored an own goal.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 9th December 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for your help. Good point, probably still under the 2 year Europe warranty I think? So off it will go after Christmas
Old 20th January 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guess if its still readable, could always transfer everything off of it, and backup on the computer, then you have a empty card to reuse
And if you wanted to keep images on the card as a back up, get a new card and transfer the old files to the new card.

of course not a permanent solution if you are wanting to get a larger or faster SDcard
Old 21st February 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK, so I thought I'd update this story with an incredibly happy ending...

After a slight mixup with the Olympus address my camera was picked up last Friday and despatched to Portugal. Yesterday I got a text from DHL and had much fun tracking it from Lisbon - Belgium - Heathrow - Swindon and finally picked it up tonight.

The repair form is interesting...
Body issue (the stuck SD card) - repaired back cover
Exposure issue - replaced CCD
Electronic issue - replaced motherboard.

Yep, with the exception of the shutter I have pretty much a new camera.

At first I thought it was exposing better but now I'm a bit confused about the exposure issues, anyway at least its back and working nicely after only a week away
The Following User Liked This Post:
bilbo (22nd February 2014)