Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 4th July 2012

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,137 Times in 1,142 Posts
Re: OMD Aftermarket Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Although I'm lucky enough have one spare Oly battery I also have two Expro batteries and a charger.I find I needed these if I'm out all day.They give more or less the same amount of shots as the originals which in my case is about 170 per battery.
You can also charge the original Oly batteries in the Expro charger,I found this out by accident while not thinking.Seems to work OK so If you get the twin charger it's possible to charge two at one,very handy.
I'm not sure what your Expo one puts out but the Better Batt charger O/P is 8.4V (open curcuit) while the Olympus charger is 8.7V, so the cheaper chargers are charging at a voltage that should be less of a risk of overheating & hence, considered safe enough to use on all batteries when needed. I personally would prefer that to be only if charging from the car (12V) & still use the Oly charger for the Oly battery, knowing that it will fully charge it to the full capacity.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 4th July 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Red face Re: OMD Aftermarket Batteries

I am ashamed to say that after making high & mighty noises about how I would never use another clone battery, I have been forced to succumb to one. When Park Cameras sent me an e-mail telling me that there was going to be a longer delay with the Olympus original, I had to do something. I am going to India with the family next week and need that spare battery - so I ordered and received one from Digital Media Store. They were up-front from the start, admitting that their battery does not charge with the Olympus' BCN-1 charger and included one of their own with the package. So far, the clone works well but I will only use it as a spare and will not be disappointed if it runs out sooner than the original.
Old 4th July 2012

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Loup - I can't really tell much difference between my clones and the originals.

I'd take the new one through a couple of full charge/discharge cycles before travelling, mine seem to last longer now than they did originally.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 4th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

If you are using/intending to use the portrait grip, just check that the battery physically fits and can easily be removed. There have been reports of some 3rd party batteries being beyond physical tolerances and consequently too tight for the grip, although my two (unrelated) clones both fit without problems.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 4th July 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
If you are using/intending to use the portrait grip, just check that the battery physically fits and can easily be removed. There have been reports of some 3rd party batteries being beyond physical tolerances and consequently too tight for the grip, although my two (unrelated) clones both fit without problems.
Thanks, but I do not have the grip and am not planning getting one. I want to keep the camera 'small' and find that it handles quite well without the grip.
Old 4th July 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I cancelled 2 orders for the Olympus battery and bought 2x Expro plus the twin charger. SRS sent me a mail asking where I had got batteries from since Olympus UK had told them they would have none until the end of the month
Old 4th July 2012

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
Smile Re: OMD Aftermarket Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
I am ashamed to say that after making high & mighty noises about how I would never use another clone battery, I have been forced to succumb to one. When Park Cameras sent me an e-mail telling me that there was going to be a longer delay with the Olympus original, I had to do something. I am going to India with the family next week and need that spare battery - so I ordered and received one from Digital Media Store. They were up-front from the start, admitting that their battery does not charge with the Olympus' BCN-1 charger and included one of their own with the package. So far, the clone works well but I will only use it as a spare and will not be disappointed if it runs out sooner than the original.
I've just used Whois to check the registration details of the Digital Media Store website, and it's registered in Jersey, not Hong Kong or China. It's also been registered for 8 years, so it doesn't look as dodgy as some of the eBay traders.

Domain name:
digitalmediastore.co.uk

Registrant:
Peter Venmore

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
P.O. Box 484
St Helier
Jersey
JE4 5SS
United Kingdom

Registrar:
Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG]
URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 19-Jul-2004
Expiry date: 19-Jul-2014
Last updated: 11-Apr-2012

Registration status:
Registered until expiry date.

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 4th July 2012

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Olympus have made a huge mistake here. I wonder how many people who would otherwise never have touched 3rd party batteries have now realised that they're actually OK, and the Oly price is ridiculous - even if you could get one. I'm thinking of cancelling my Oly order as well.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 4th July 2012

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
Olympus have made a huge mistake here. I wonder how many people who would otherwise never have touched 3rd party batteries have now realised that they're actually OK, and the Oly price is ridiculous - even if you could get one. I'm thinking of cancelling my Oly order as well.
There are two issues here.

1) When Olympus designed the E-M5, they must have used market research to target the ProAm camera enthusiast from its performance and features. But the guys who ordered up the stocks of spare batteries must have been working on the assumption the E-M5 was another consumer camera and so would not attract many orders for second batteries. Overstocking items costs money, so they protected their profits at the expense of antagonising many early adopters and would-be buyers.

2) Japanese camera makers have been adding chips to the batteries for a few years now; for safety reasons they say, but probably also to cut down on the clone market. Of course the higher prices charged for the official items help their profit margins (whether for lens hoods that should be included with the lens, or batteries). But at least a clone lens hood is unlikely to damage the lens. If you fit a cloned battery, you need to be sure that it will not damage the camera itself - and check whether the battery guarantee covers the replacement of the battery or the camera should it get damaged.

Thankfully, I've never found battery life to be a problem with digital cameras as they last out at least a day for me. But for people shooting many hundreds of images a day, I can understand your frustrations.

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 4th July 2012
SteelD

Ordered from here at the weekend and it arrived today from Jersey:

http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/b...T-OYBLN1BUN2-D

Two batteries and a charger for 29. I ordered from here since I read that the Olympus battery won't be available until August and the ExPro batteries on the ExPro site are no longer listed - presumably they are now out of stock.
Old 4th July 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelD View Post
Ordered from here at the weekend and it arrived today from Jersey:

http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/b...T-OYBLN1BUN2-D

Two batteries and a charger for 29. I ordered from here since I read that the Olympus battery won't be available until August and the ExPro batteries on the ExPro site are no longer listed - presumably they are now out of stock.
I ordered from Expro via Amazon.co.uk at 00:15 this morning. Because of the Air Tattoo this weekend I wanted them in a hurry so paid the extra 4 quid for express delivery. At 4:30pm I got a mail saying they will be delivered tomorrow. Top service
Old 4th July 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfarquhar View Post
I ordered from Expro via Amazon.co.uk at 00:15 this morning. Because of the Air Tattoo this weekend I wanted them in a hurry so paid the extra 4 quid for express delivery. At 4:30pm I got a mail saying they will be delivered tomorrow. Top service
Likewise David and the same out come as you too, mine are on schedule to be delivered tomorrow by Interlink Express.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 4th July 2012

Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,438 Posts
Liked 1,436 Times in 916 Posts

As mentioned earlier in the thread I have 2 ExPro batteries (via Amazon) which I ordered when they were listed as being compatible with the Olympus Charger. I had been intending to return them but decided that as the price is very reasonable (9.97) I would order another 2 and a charger (without which my first 2 were useless). Even if theye are of a lower capacity than the Olympus originals I think 4 batteries will see me through until I can get to a charger.
I ordered yesterday (via Amazon again) as soon as they were back in stock and they shipped today. I should now be ready for any trips out. I expect the batteries to be out of stock again very soon as people are forced to stock up on non OEM versions.
Old 4th July 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One bonus with the Expro is the availability of a twin charger. In a camera where 2-3 batteries is a reasonable day's shooting it will make it much easier to charge up at night
Old 7th July 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

To followup my earlier postings, I went to the Air Tattoo in Fairford today. The first Expro battery lasted 320 shots. The second about 490. I can't complain at that, and I think the Olympus battery would have had similar performance. So for 10 each the batteries seem to represent good value
The Following User Says Thank You to davidfarquhar For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (8th July 2012)