Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th February 2010

Liked 45 Times in 27 Posts
Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Made a trip to the big smoke yesterday and visited the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition at the Natural History Museum. Some gorgeous images, leaving me feeling somewhat inadequate to be honest! I'd certainly recommend calling in to see it if you're in town.

What did sadden me a little was that it was essentially an all Canikon experience, with only one Sony (APS) and one Hassy entrant if my memory serves. Olympus wasn't represented at all in the final selection, which begs the question: "Why?" Lack of really long optics perhaps (though quite a few images were produced at 300mm, plus some macro). A surprising number (to me at least, as not someone really in to wildlife photography) used highish ISO. But then again, I would have thought the water resistance of Oly gear would have been an asset here. It would be interesting to know how much Olympus gear featured in the submitted images.

Still, I guess this exhibition should be viewed for what it is, a stunning collection of images dependent much more on the photographers' personal abilities rather than the gear they used.

Ian
Old 24th February 2010

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year

I don't think it's a lens thing.

Most of the main comp are very very professional set ups and it's as much about spending 200 hours standing waist deep in a ditch waiting for a water vole to appear in a particular spot (from a winner a year or so back) as the lens or camera.

So you get beack to 'what equipement is someone that devoted to capturing their shot going to use?' and, much as I love my E gear for what it does for me, I wouldn't have it as my first choice (body wise).
Old 24th February 2010

Liked 70 Times in 28 Posts

BTW, there were some shots taken with an OM-4Ti!

There are a very small fraction of the Oly fraternity with the 90-250 or the 300/2.8 - what you would need for these sort of shots (which is equal or more the reach of the full-frame - I hate that term - shooters). I suspect the lack of 'middle ground' prime lens (i.e. a 300/4 or 400/5.6) puts people off - it would be good if Oly could offer something like this. Most Canon and Nikon 300/2.8 and 500/4 users had these 'middle ground' lenses on the way to their big guns. The shooters were mainly using D3 or 1D bodies, with some crop-frame bodies like the 50D and D300 too. I'll look through my gallery book and try to work out a breakdown...

Andy
Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)
Old 24th February 2010
forester

What does it matter if they all shoot Nikon or Canon, and want to spend hours patiently waiting for that one special shot, and also carting loads of heavy gear around. If you enjoy what you do with the gear you have that is fine.
Not every one has the time to spend doing it or the patience, I know I haven’t, or even the money to buy the long lenses they use for some of the shots.
Just enjoy your hobby, people ask me if I sell my images, I say no I’m just a “Happy Snapper”.
Old 24th February 2010

Liked 45 Times in 27 Posts

I think Photo Owl is probably right here. I don't know what the mix of amateur vs professonal is, but I guess if you're the type who spends 3 days in a hide in Greenland or Sweden (or somewhere very cold anyway), you're more than likely a serious professional. And as we know, they do tend to gravitate towards Canikon.

Let's not take anything away from those who endure serious deprivation for their art/business, and not only witness a rare event but still manage to get a fantastic shot. I know I wouldn't be prepared to do that.

Ian
Old 24th February 2010

Liked 70 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawcoll View Post
I think Photo Owl is probably right here. I don't know what the mix of amateur vs professonal is, but I guess if you're the type who spends 3 days in a hide in Greenland or Sweden (or somewhere very cold anyway), you're more than likely a serious professional. And as we know, they do tend to gravitate towards Canikon.

Let's not take anything away from those who endure serious deprivation for their art/business, and not only witness a rare event but still manage to get a fantastic shot. I know I wouldn't be prepared to do that.

Ian
I'm going to have fun asking the 'pro' shooters around me on my trip to the British Wildlife Centre in April how well they like their weather sealing and if their back hurts from the 500/4 coupled to full-frame body... And if they ever get to use their lenses wide-open or are wrens just too 'thick' for such a shallow DOF...

Should be a good day - 12 togs (8, at least, are pros) with the whole of the BWC to ourselves for a day!

Andy
Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)