Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 3rd January 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Always experimenting: Night Time Stroll @ ISO3200

Hey everyone

Am always thinking about different aspects of photography, what I'd like to take shots of and where I'd like to take them. Heather was at her friends most of today, and was dropped off there by my Sister in Law (who has a van) and as such - Heather could take her bike there. She was due to be picked up by Jen at 7:00, but was told she'd have to leave her bike and pick it up tomorrow as it was dark.

I suggested that Jen take me to Heathers friends and I'd walk home with her while she rode the bike taking camera with me

Here's one of the shots I took en route home (and you can see why we won't allow her to walk home alone I guess). Now... this is by no means a great shot... subject matter was limited, it has Heather slightly oof, and the composition a long way from perfect, but... it does I think, illustrate the super qualities of the E-3.

This shot was handheld at 1/2 second, @f2.8, at 19:00 night, and at an ISO of ISO3200.

Who says the E-3 can't perform eh!

Old 3rd January 2008
taxi

Re: Always experimenting: Night Time Stroll @ ISO3200

Nice picture and the ISO performance on teh camera is excellent
Old 3rd January 2008

Liked 855 Times in 282 Posts

Judging the conditions I think you did well.

I read on another forum that Shutterbug February Issue had this as part of its review 'The conclusion is that the E3 is the author's (Peter K. Burian) "best value" award in the professional DSLR category'!

Regards. Barr1e
Old 3rd January 2008

Thanks both. Night time photography is all new to me and the walk home didn't present too many inspirational moments...

OK, so I did a mono conversion which does help when shooting in low light, but I just wanted to illustrate the E-3 @ ISO3200 which I thought was excellent. I do have a few more images where banding is present, but strangely this isn't present in all of them... just a few. I spotted zero banding in this image.

Noise does appear in more of them too, and I am trying to educate myself as to the shots where I can expect to see a little more noise. Once I am aware of what might cause the E-3 to display noise, I shall have learned just a little more...

It's all about the learning, and the enjoyment of this learning for me.

Old 3rd January 2008
BigD

i like that great performance aswell for a high iso and being hand held at this time of year .
Old 4th January 2008

Thanks BigD...

I must admit although there's a few threads at the moment discussing some concerns regarding the E-3, and I certainly hope these are addressed very soon... it is also apparent that the E-3 is an excellent camera, and that Olympus have worked tremendously well to improve the ISO performance on this model when compared to the E-510 and E-410.

Old 7th January 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I really like that, B+W works well, would look lush printed on Canvas..

That ISO performance is amazing, I was shooting 1600 on E510 on NYE, loads and loads of noise, lol.

I can't wait to be able to afford an E3 with 12-60

Cheers
Garrie
Old 7th January 2008

Thanks Garrie

I must say that the shot itself is absolutely nothing to write home about, but I was really impressed at the quality of the image given the very high ISO @ 3200. No noise filtering with neat image, only converted to bw, resized, levels, and export for web.