Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 17th August 2018

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Angry?

Two days ago, Polly Hudson, writing in the Mirror, said that she believes that we are all getting angrier and angrier. She commented that if you say something that someone disagrees with, they start shouting at you, and getting very nasty; make a minor driving mistake, and fists are shaken at you, swearing and retaliatory measures. She was wondering why.

I think she has a point. Could it be the stress of modern living? Could it be the lack of another major war? Is man programmed to fight, and tolerance is a learned reaction?

What do you think?
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 1,790 Times in 663 Posts
Re: Angry?

It's the heat from the mini heatwave!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Two days ago, Polly Hudson, writing in the Mirror, said that she believes that we are all getting angrier and angrier. She commented that if you say something that someone disagrees with, they start shouting at you, and getting very nasty; make a minor driving mistake, and fists are shaken at you, swearing and retaliatory measures. She was wondering why.

I think she has a point. Could it be the stress of modern living? Could it be the lack of another major war? Is man programmed to fight, and tolerance is a learned reaction?

What do you think?
She does have a point. This something that I have noticed for a good while now.

'Progress' has made our lives much more stressful and complicated, and we seem to have so much more to fit in, including playing with 'essentials' such as Smartphones that we once lived perfectly happily without.

Employers expect more and more in shorter time and at lower cost whilst many people are tracked by GPS or else watched by CCTV or otherwise monitored. Overpopulation and our constant desire to travel means that wherever we go we have to queue, which doesn't fit well with our current need for instant gratification.

At the same time Proletarian Drift has raised personal expectations to unrealistic levels, so many people are left either feeling somehow inadequate, or else in deep debt.

This may be why so many people are now trying to step off of the treadmill and only work enough to support more modest aspirations.

If you are looking to apportion blame I would point to clever marketing, incessant and intrusive advertising and the City's expectations of year on year growth.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Homer Simpson (21st August 2018)
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 553 Times in 285 Posts

Maybe she is just a very annoying person who is also a bad driver ... I don't know ... just guessing.

I have never had behavior like that directed at me .... so far
Old 17th August 2018
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

I get angry because people make me angry, okay? I mean, it's all these immigrants coming over here stealing our jobs and claiming our benefits while in some of our cities you hardly see a white face these days and this is MY lane, MY lane - bloody cyclists slowing all the traffic up and they don't even pay road tax. I ask you, what is this country coming to? We need to reclaim our country for British people and preserve the British way of life, like 10 pints of lager on a Friday night with a dodgy kebab and a fight on the way home. Do you have a problem with that? Do you?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Sounds good to me Zuiko, apart from the 10 pints and the drunken fighting...

on flickr
Naughty Nigel (17th August 2018)
Old 17th August 2018
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Sounds good to me Zuiko, apart from the 10 pints and the drunken fighting...
Surely those are the best bits?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
KeithL (17th August 2018)
Old 17th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I get angry because people make me angry, okay? I mean, it's all these immigrants coming over here stealing our jobs and claiming our benefits while in some of our cities you hardly see a white face these days and this is MY lane, MY lane - bloody cyclists slowing all the traffic up and they don't even pay road tax. I ask you, what is this country coming to? We need to reclaim our country for British people and preserve the British way of life, like 10 pints of lager on a Friday night with a dodgy kebab and a fight on the way home. Do you have a problem with that? Do you?
You forgot 'one for the road, one for the kerb, and four more for the pavement outside the Chinese takeaway!'

You jest John, but I strongly believe there really is a genuine problem. The mental health issues amongst the young in particular and the number of violent road rage incidents would seem to support this view. It seems that ASDA car parks are a particularly dangerous place to be at busy times given the number of violent and even fatal incidents reported.

There is also the matter of regular fatal stabbings which I suspect are not entirely unrelated.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (17th August 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
KeithL (17th August 2018), Ricoh (17th August 2018), Zuiko (17th August 2018)
Old 17th August 2018

Quote:
Is man programmed to fight, and tolerance is a learned reaction?

What do you think?
I'm sure tolerance is a learned reaction. People are often fearful of other cultures or groups of people, or even the in-laws!

These fears usually evaporate when opposing groups meet and talk to one-another, and realise that they are all human after all. Northern Ireland is perhaps a good example here. I'm not so sure about Sunderland and Newcastle supporters at a derby match though.

The problem is that we no longer talk to one another face to face. Most communication is now virtual, whilst the little glass and metal bubbles that we use to travel around in provide perfect solitary confinement until something goes wrong.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
KeithL (17th August 2018)
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
10 pints of lager on a Friday night
I'd be very angry indeed if I had to drink only one pint of lager!

Jim
Old 17th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I'd be very angry indeed if I had to drink only one pint of lager!

Jim
I would be angry if I had to drink a pint of lager. Disgusting stuff.

(Where is the spewey smiley?)

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jim Ford (17th August 2018), Johnheatingman (17th August 2018), KeithL (17th August 2018), OM USer (30th August 2018)
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Surely those are the best bits?
And playing cricket no doubt.

on flickr
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I would be angry if I had to drink a pint of lager. Disgusting stuff.
Actually, that's what I meant to say, but it didn't quite come out like that.!

Jim
KeithL (17th August 2018), Naughty Nigel (17th August 2018)
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Now you're REALLY sounding like my cousin!

I joke about my cousin, but he's very much like John Z said, especially about specifically Muslims, and he can't drink much because of health issues. Why them? Sure there are some bad 'us, but that's true of all people. When I said I disagreed with his view of them, he simply blocked my emails - an insult in itself, and arguably cowardly. But more importantly, it puts up a barrier, because, like Jack Nicholson said in the film, "You can't handle the truth." With all the anger washing around, people don't want to talk to each other face to face, they would rather yell insults from a distance, where they don't have to face up to anything. Especially reality.
Old 17th August 2018

Quote:
Now you're REALLY sounding like my cousin!

I joke about my cousin, but he's very much like John Z said, especially about specifically Muslims, and he can't drink much because of health issues. Why them? Sure there are some bad 'us, but that's true of all people. When I said I disagreed with his view of them, he simply blocked my emails - an insult in itself, and arguably cowardly. But more importantly, it puts up a barrier, because, like Jack Nicholson said in the film, "You can't handle the truth." With all the anger washing around, people don't want to talk to each other face to face, they would rather yell insults from a distance, where they don't have to face up to anything. Especially reality.
But handling the truth and reality works both ways Keith.

Did you watch the BBC News item last night about the Manchester Bomber and Didsbury Mosque? The opinions expressed were not mine but those of the BBC team responsible; so probably on the liberal side of the centreline.

Like it or not this is a reality that we have to face up to. We cannot pretend that it doesn't exist.

Some people are more eloquent than others when it comes to expressing opinions, and some cannot accept any opinion but their own, which sounds like your uncle; but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is wrong, any more than it means he is right.

The longer we try to hide these problems under the carpet and pretend they don't exist the more difficult they will be to resolve.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing