Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 20th January 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts
I'll Sleep Easy Tonight

I don't know about you, but I'll sleep a little easier in my bed tonight now that a new President of the United States has been inaugurated.

Of course, we don't yet know what the consequences will be of Barack Obama becoming arguably the most powerful man in the World but his own story so far is one of the triumph of determination over adversity, hope over despair and equality over injustice. A track record that, right now, the World needs more than ever before.

Faced with Global economic collapse, envoironmental catastrophy and a deepening crisis in the Middle East we need the leader of the most powerful country on earth to provide leadership, not just to his own nation but to the whole World. We need a President who is intelligent, articulate, motivated and strong but fair. A President who understands the true cost to society of inequality and prejudice and acknowledges the threat to World peace of injustice and persecution. A President determined to protect America and the Free World from our enemies yet uphold our cherished principles of freedom, justice, human rights and democracy.

From what I have seen and heard I believe that Barack Obama has the qualities to fulfil that role. Only time will tell if he can succeed but I will sleep easier in my bed tonight as a new era dawns in American politics.

Just one request to the Americans: When they've finished with him could they please send him over here. He'd certainly get my vote for Prime Minister!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: I'll Sleep Easy Tonight

I watched some of the Inauguration, one thing that impressed me was that he spoke for around fifteen minutes without appearing to have to read his script. He used powerful words.

I hope it all works out for them over the pond, because we feel the ripples.
Old 21st January 2009
Archphoto

Hear, Hear.
I agree fully with your words of hope.

Peter
Old 21st January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yay i'll vote for him for PM

Mick

Petroleums Hey
retired oil boiler
Old 22nd January 2009
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I say good luck to him.... he will need it.

He appears to have a personality......so he would not get voted in a PM over here
Old 22nd January 2009

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

Obama had two teleprompter screens slightly to the left and right of him - that is why he focused to either ahead left or ahead right. the screens were two perspex/glass panels reflecting the image of a video screen with the rolling script. You may have noticed the grey rectangles on the podium.

However this is not to criticise his speech which I found more encouraging than our current leader could ever produce.

However I could not get over the thought that it could have been a Matt Santos or Bartlett reading a script by Aaron Sorkin.
Old 22nd January 2009
Fluffy

I am so pleased to have a rational President who can speak in whole sentences, and whose speeches are coherent.

However to stand in -9.5 C weather for hours a half mile away to see the swearing in on what amounts to a very large TV doesn't say much for many of our populace.

OTOH, Hilary met a very enthusiastic welcome went she arrived at the State Department this morning and I hope and think she's going to bring big changes there.

I hear one of her first initiatives will be to finally end the Revolution by severing all diplomatic and trade relations with England (Wales and Scotland will be OK). joke
Old 22nd January 2009
Fluffy

I am so pleased to have a rational President who can speak in whole sentences, and whose speeches are coherent.

However to stand in -9.5 C weather for hours a half mile away to see the swearing in on what amounts to a very large TV doesn't say much for many of our populace.

OTOH, Hilary met a very enthusiastic welcome when she arrived at the State Department this morning and I hope and think she's going to bring big changes there.

I hear one of her first initiatives will be to finally end the Revolution by severing all diplomatic and trade relations with England (Wales and Scotland will be OK). joke
Old 22nd January 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

OTOH, Hilary met a very enthusiastic welcome when she arrived at the State Department this morning and I hope and think she's going to bring big changes there.

Surely a more rational action would be to pay the taxes and admit that Independance had been a mistake (probably a joke)

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 22nd January 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,608 Times in 929 Posts
Talking Re: I'll Sleep Easy Tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
However I could not get over the thought that it could have been a Matt Santos or Bartlett reading a script by Aaron Sorkin.
Having watch the West Wing and the many other Holywood depictions of Presidents, I have come to believe in the reality of it all.

Maybe the proposed change to the constitution will be made to permit Arnold to run in four years...

Then again, advances in AI may well provide for yet another alternative

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 22nd January 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Then again, advances in AI may well provide for yet another alternative

Artificial Insemination?

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 22nd January 2009
Fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Surely a more rational action would be to pay the taxes and admit that Independance had been a mistake (probably a joke)
I don't see that happening. Your taxes are and always were too high. And besides you folks don't even speak proper English. I have no idea what Scots and Welsh speak. Have you ever heard Freedom Come Ye All? If you asked nicely, we'd probably be happy to add three states to our Union: England, Scotland (however they spell it) and Wales (they have no choice in the spelling or we'd get something 72 letters longs and mostly consonants)

Steve
Old 22nd January 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
I don't see that happening. Your taxes are and always were too high. Don't we know it! And besides you folks don't even speak proper English. Sadly, you're nearer the truth than perhaps you realise! I have no idea what Scots and Welsh speak. Neither have I, but just say "Nos da" when leaving the pub and they'll think you've understood every word they've said about you all evening! Have you ever heard Freedom Come Ye All? If you asked nicely, we'd probably be happy to add three states to our Union: England, Scotland (however they spell it) and Wales (they have no choice in the spelling or we'd get something 72 letters longs and mostly consonants)
Another two years of Gordon and we'll all be begging you!

Suddenly, with the departure of George W the special relationship seems special once again!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd January 2009

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Cool Re: I'll Sleep Easy Tonight

As I live north of the border, and a conservative who hated GWB I have been watching with great interest the man whom I think is going to be the Saviour of the world. He is smart, intelligent, eloquent, delivers great speaches and has picked all the right people to sit in his cabinet. I have great expectations for him and above all, his first trip out of the States is to the Provinces of Canada!!
Old 23rd January 2009

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
As I live north of the border, and a conservative who hated GWB I have been watching with great interest the man whom I think is going to be the Saviour of the world. He is smart, intelligent, eloquent, delivers great speaches and has picked all the right people to sit in his cabinet. I have great expectations for him and above all, his first trip out of the States is to the Provinces of Canada!!
Bill, I hope you are right (although I think saviour is pushing it more than a bit for any human (and not just speaking as an atheist!). Obama messed up his inaugural oath and decided to retake it. OK, everyone makes boo-boos in the heat of the moment. My problem is that all his speeches throughout the campaign and the inauguration sound so much like Tony Blair. I sincerely hope that he turns out to have more intelligence (taking him beyond party politics) and intellectual honesty than TB.

Andrew