Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work

Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work This board concentrates on topics that explore the potential of your photography being seen by a wider audience and even earning you some money.

Old 13th December 2015

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Wildlife photographer of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
Is part of the problem that we Oly owners don't bother to participate in these competitions? There are some stunning photos on this site, many of which are more than good enough to win. I get a trickle of photos published every year but the magazines never say they're taken with an Oly. Maybe we're guilty of hiding our lights under a bushel.
Hi Melaka, I think you are nearer the truth of the matter than we all realise, I believe we all should try harder to get into publishing our images and at local camera clubs.
Mike
Old 13th December 2015

Liked 350 Times in 145 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Regrettably I'm as guilty as the rest!

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 13th December 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,608 Times in 929 Posts

I was fortunate to have spent the day with the world renowned wildlife photographer, Paul Hobson ( http://www.paulhobson.co.uk/ ) Who works with Canon kit.
He told me Nikon sent him a full set of kit to try and tempt him to use there cameras.

At the time I was using an E-500 with a 50-200 SWD and during the day he showed quite an interest in it.

When I submitted my pictures to Amateur Photographer, they used six of my pictures in a five page article from their "Masterclass" series. I was very pleased that they used my image of a fox as the headline picture for the article.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (13th December 2015)
Old 13th December 2015

Liked 1,330 Times in 798 Posts

Funny you should say that Graham, in the 90's when my nature work was being published regularly Leica offered me a R kit. I declined, preferring to stick with my OM kit.

David M's Photoblog
Old 13th December 2015

Liked 774 Times in 183 Posts

IMHO, coming from Canon, the lack of good quality long Olympus lenses could be a factor.
I would imagine that most wildlife shots would be taken with a lens of at least 400mm, with the 500 f4 being the most popular for this type of photography.
Perhaps this will all change when the 300 f4 comes on the market

Mike
Old 13th December 2015

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstphoto View Post
Mike
that has nailed it
mstphoto (14th December 2015)
Old 13th December 2015

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
IMHO, coming from Canon, the lack of good quality long Olympus lenses could be a factor.
I would imagine that most wildlife shots would be taken with a lens of at least 400mm, with the 500 f4 being the most popular for this type of photography.

Mike
Mike, I think you are partly right we will have to see how good the EM mk2 is as well as the 300 f4 for a chance at wildlife action shots especially.
Kind regards Mike.
mstphoto (14th December 2015)
Old 19th December 2015

Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts

I think this is the right place to post this.

GH4, GX8 and E-M5 II are in the top 10 cameras for travelers from NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC:

http://www.43rumors.com/the-gh4-gx8-...nal-geographic

Quote:
Mike
Using minimum 500mm, it is true for cameras with larger sensors than Olympus (with shorter equivalent focal lenses).
Using 500mm on fullframe camera is one thing, using 500mm on a 2x crop factor camera is a complete different thing.
For Olympus, 300mm is a very nice focal length to start.
If you want longer lenses, buy professional lenses like Zuiko 300mm F/2.8 and 90-250mm F/2.8 and put teleconvertors on it. Both works very fine even with EC-20 (2X) and the quality of the photos is still very nice at 100%, usable for professional use. In this case you will have 500-600mm F/5.6 (1000-1200mm equivalent) which is a bit too much in my opinion. I would use maximum 500mm.

I do wildlife with Olympus.
Imagine how hard is to stabilize an 1200mm lens equivalent on Olympus, and is not only this. If the lens is fixed size, you have problems even to find the subject in the frame.

I tried an 800mm Samyang on Olympus (1600mm). The main problem was to get the subject into the frame. You move the camera left-right, up-down, and you do not find the subject.
Another problem was when I had big subjects like a heron or stork, I had to be minimum 50 meters away of the subject to have it 100% in the frame. From 10-15 meters I could do only "head-shots".

This is a movie I did with E-5 + 800mm Samyang and you can see that I had some problems with geting the subject entirely into the frame:

The Following User Says Thank You to katran For This Useful Post:
Melaka (19th December 2015)
Old 20th December 2015

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I went to the exhibition yesterday. One image was taken with a GX7 & 7-14mm, everything else was Cannon & Nikon. Mostly top end stuff 1Dx, 5D III, D4 & D810s with big primes. There were a few exceptions with people using mid range kit.

It was amazing to see what kit some of the junior finalists were using. All I can say is I could have never of afforded it on my paper round earnings when I was a lad.

There are a people moving towards m4/3 for wildlife and I think it's predominantly to reduce weight given that light aircraft used for internal flights have luggage limits around 12-15kg. I've used my EM-1 on 3 safaris now (although I also now have a Nikon which replaced my E-3). I also took a EP-2 to the Galapagos as there was lots of walking and I didn't want to hump 2 large SLRs and lenses up and down volcanoes in the tropical heat.
And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki

Half Man Half Biscuit
Old 20th December 2015

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFisheye View Post
It was amazing to see what kit some of the junior finalists were using. All I can say is I could have never of afforded it on my paper round earnings when I was a lad.
They undoubtedly have wealthy, ambitious and pushy parents, but maybe I'm being a bit cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFisheye View Post
I think it's predominantly to reduce weight given that light aircraft used for internal flights have luggage limits around 12-15kg.
Yes, I did the same on our trip earlier this year to S Africa & Malawi - it meant I could carry 2 E-M1 bodies and a range of lenses from fisheye to 420mm FF equivalent and still take a reasonable amount of clothing!

The only real difficulties c.f. a DSLR were limited ISO capability, and weak CAF + tracking for birds in flight.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 5th January 2016

Liked 445 Times in 215 Posts

Any chance we could start our own competition for m4/3 users only, i've seen some superb wildlife pics on this site since joining in 2010....perhaps Olympus could run it??

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/