Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd November 2008

Liked 2,411 Times in 1,586 Posts
Kodachrome 64 Still Alive and Kicking

For a variety of reasons I have found a renewed interest in shooting on 35 transparency film, and have been giving my OM4Ti a few outings recently.

About a month ago I spotted some Kodachrome at Boots and bought three rolls for the price of two.

I sent one of the rolls off to Switzerland two weeks ago, expecting it to take a month or so to come back (via the USA). To my surprise, a yellow box containing 36 or so slides dropped onto our doormat on Friday morning, and looking at them on the light box the results are just amazing!

I know we are not really supposed to talk about such matters around here, but does anyone else regularly use old their old film cameras?

Perhaps we could have a section on the forum to discuss old OM equipment?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Last edited by Naughty Nigel; 2nd November 2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Too many mistakes!
Old 2nd November 2008

Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Kodachrome 64 Still Alive and Kicking

Hi Nigel,

That's a nice clean looking OM4Ti, are you sure it's been used?

I occasionally drag out a couple of old Contax cameras (I also use some old OM stuff). I load one with B/W, the other colour slide. To my mind it's very therapeutic, it makes me slow down and make every shot count. With digital it's all too easy to use the camera like a machine gun and hope for the best. The most frustrating thing with film is waiting for the results to come through the post, but then that's half the fun.

As to a section to discuss old OM kit, if there's enough interest why not?

Regards - Paul
Old 2nd November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpaaul View Post
That's a nice clean looking OM4Ti, are you sure it's been used?
It has been very well used indeed. I bought it new in 1997 or 1998 (IIRC), and used it as my main work camera until I bought my E1 in 2004. It has seen a lot of the world, and must have had several hundred rolls of film through it in that time.

I like to look after my equipment though, and actually have two ME Super bodies that look barely used, but which have probably seen two or three thousand rolls of film in their time.

A few weeks ago, I was fortunate to come upon a brand new, never out of the box black OM4Ti, which still had its original batteries in their wrappers. The price was reasonable so it seemed a shame not to buy it.

I have taken it out of the box a couple of times, but I must admit I have never had the courage to use it as yet.

I bought the new OM4Ti with all good intentions of using it, but TBH, I feel torn between using it and keeping it in the box. Right now I feel tempted to look for yet another well used OM4Ti for B&W, or I may take the OM2 SP I have off of the microscope and use that instead.

I like the OM2 SP, but it doesn't have the metering options or high speed flash synch of the OM4Ti. The LCD display is also a bit strange on mine, and it eats batteries.

Decisions, decisions.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3rd November 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Yep I still use a fair bit of film gear.

I went through a phase over the last couple of years in buying kit, used or flea bay, which I have always hankered after but could not afford.

Also I do college courses and they make you use B&W as part of it.

Gone off Kodachrome and don't like Velvia anymore. The new range of Extachromes 100 are fantastic and look even better when using Medium Format

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 3rd November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by knikki View Post
Yep I still use a fair bit of film gear.

I went through a phase over the last couple of years in buying kit, used or flea bay, which I have always hankered after but could not afford.

Also I do college courses and they make you use B&W as part of it.

Gone off Kodachrome and don't like Velvia anymore. The new range of Extachromes 100 are fantastic and look even better when using Medium Format
I still like Velvia, but I have found it a bit too contrasty to use with OM prime lenses.

However, I find that it produces rather grainy results on high end film scanners; I believe the problem is one of 'grain aliasing'.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3rd November 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,608 Times in 929 Posts

I've used up the last of my Kodachrome and sent it off to Switzerland. It came back as good as ever (pictures not so good)

I've not seen any in the shops since (not been looking that hard)

At the moment my OM4Ti is loaded with Fuji, which is very good but I do miss the colours of the Kodachrome.

I've started to use the digital like we used polaroid in the old days, getting the setup right first, then switching to film.

It hasn't improved my composition but the lighting is much better.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 3rd November 2008

Liked 1,341 Times in 507 Posts

Aaah! While we are down memory lane.. Here are two that never got used.

(1981!)

P

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 3rd November 2008

Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts

Wow, Ilford pan F used to be one of my favourite films, that and FP4. I used them both in 35mm and roll film cameras. I've probably got a few rolls hiding in my attic too (not that I dare venture to enter that place!! )

Oh happy days!!

Regards - Paul
Old 3rd November 2008

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Oh Yes! I have had a renewed interest in my OM gear this last couple of months. I have been using my OM3Ti specifically to capture some autumn colors on E100VS slide film. I have found this film to be excellent for this kind of work.

Nigel - I noticed that you have a very nice 35mm F2 lens on the front of your 4Ti. I got hold of one of these a couple of years ago and absolutley love using it. I heard a lot of comments about this lens not being the sharpest tool in the box, but mine seems very sharp (not used it at F2 much though). Hows yours for sharpness?

Cheers, Steve.
Old 3rd November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love my OM4 and OM2SP as pieces of precision engineering. They have a solidity, finely-crafted compactness and ergonomics that even the E1 can't match.

However, although I would be one of the first to admit that film still has the edge over "affordable" digital for ultimate resolution and detail, I have no interest whatever in shooting film again. Even with the most careful use of the OM4's excellent multi-spot metering (why, Olympus, can that not be implemented on a digital camera?), it was inevitable that some eagerly-anticipated shots came back with blown highlights or other problems that can be spotted and fixed immediately with digital.

Slowing down and thinking is good, but I value even more highly the ability to experiment and delete which I could never afford with film, especially transparency film. As for black and white, I love the flexibility of digital. If I want grain, I can recreate it (I liked XP4 and Tri-X myself) with DxO FilmPack, but I love the ability to fool around with contrast and shading, all without the great smell of Hypo and stains on the worktop...

A young friend of mine bought herself a Hassleblad 500C the other day - lovely camera, and I would have given a forearm (at least) to be able to afford one back in the day, but I struggle to see how it really, really, really betters her Canon 5D (I think, now the first enthusiasm is past, so does she).

I simply don't understand the nostalgia for film, which is a defect in me, not in those who it appeals to. I'd be genuinely interested to get my head around it.
Old 3rd November 2008

Liked 1,341 Times in 507 Posts

I miss those well made compact metal film cameras. They oozed quality like an expensive watch.

(So how come modern digital SLRs are bigger, heavier, noisier and more expensive than mechanical cameras that were full of gears and springs?? Grumble.)

Anyway, much as I liked my years with Provia.. I don't miss all the hassle of cloning out dust and scratches from scanned images. I don't miss the delays and disappointment that came with film.. But sometimes I do miss that liberating "it doesn't need a battery" syndrome

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 3rd November 2008
Xpres

I never really went in for slides, much preferring black and white neg's - as I still do. When it comes down to it though, I think it's the print in your hands or on the wall that counts and not how you got there. If it's a job, then speed and efficiency wins, if it's pleasure then it's whatever the flavour of the month is.
and that swings between film and digital and even a mixture of the two.
I think someone else said this too, but it is great fun to play with some of those cameras you could never afford twenty years ago but the novelty does wear off. The photos are where the fun's always been really.
Old 3rd November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lane View Post

Nigel - I noticed that you have a very nice 35mm F2 lens on the front of your 4Ti. I got hold of one of these a couple of years ago and absolutley love using it. I heard a lot of comments about this lens not being the sharpest tool in the box, but mine seems very sharp (not used it at F2 much though). Hows yours for sharpness?

Cheers, Steve.
Hi Steve,
I must say I have found the 35 mm to be good and sharp. I have always regarded Zuiko prime lenses very highly, (if anything, they can be a bit too contrasty for some slide films), so I have had no reason to examine the results too closely.

So I am told, one of the reasons that the 35 mm lens is in such short supply is that they are popular with the owners of top end Canon cameras, who buy them to use as a 'standard' lenses on their DSLRs. (I gather they fit Canon cameras with a simple adaptor ring).

If true, that is some reccomendation. The 35 mm f2.0 was also a very expensive lens when new - but nothing like the 35 ~ 80 f2.8, which was last listed at about £1850 IIRC. The 35 mm f2.8 also has a good reputation and is much more reasonably priced.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3rd November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
I love my OM4 and OM2SP as pieces of precision engineering. They have a solidity, finely-crafted compactness and ergonomics that even the E1 can't match.

However, although I would be one of the first to admit that film still has the edge over "affordable" digital for ultimate resolution and detail, I have no interest whatever in shooting film again. Even with the most careful use of the OM4's excellent multi-spot metering (why, Olympus, can that not be implemented on a digital camera?), it was inevitable that some eagerly-anticipated shots came back with blown highlights or other problems that can be spotted and fixed immediately with digital.

Slowing down and thinking is good, but I value even more highly the ability to experiment and delete which I could never afford with film, especially transparency film. As for black and white, I love the flexibility of digital. If I want grain, I can recreate it (I liked XP4 and Tri-X myself) with DxO FilmPack, but I love the ability to fool around with contrast and shading, all without the great smell of Hypo and stains on the worktop...

A young friend of mine bought herself a Hassleblad 500C the other day - lovely camera, and I would have given a forearm (at least) to be able to afford one back in the day, but I struggle to see how it really, really, really betters her Canon 5D (I think, now the first enthusiasm is past, so does she).

I simply don't understand the nostalgia for film, which is a defect in me, not in those who it appeals to. I'd be genuinely interested to get my head around it.

I don't think it is so much a nostalgia Hugh, as a preference for and enjoyment of a different way of capturing images.

To me, most film cameras are enjoyable to use - much more so than digital, and feel much better engineered. There is also something mysterious about what goes on inside the black interior, which we never see from one film to the next.

There is also the point that when we make an image on film, those same crystals of silver halide will stay on that film forever.

A month or so ago I was looking at some old Kodachromes that I was given by an elderly aunt, now sadly deceased. My late uncle had taken these shots on a Kodak Retina camera in the 1950's, metered with an original Weston meter (both of which I still have, and which both work).

I was looking at those same crystals of silver nearly sixty years later, on film which they had taken on a cycle touring holiday in Scotland, having first taken the train from London. And I daresay, the image was probably just as good as when that film came back from Box 14 at Hemel Hempstead or wherever it was processed in those days.

Even if digital images do survive that long, somehow, a bunch of electrons on a pen drive, or a series of dots on a CD ROM will never provide that same connection with my personal history as a piece of film.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Last edited by Naughty Nigel; 3rd November 2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: moth/month
Old 4th November 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
I still do college courses and they require you to still do some film work, in a darkroom .
To me a well exposed B&W print is simply better than what can be achieved using digital (IMHO) and trannys on a light box even today still make me go WOW.

I still love using film, its not a "nostalgia" thing, I just like using it.

The only thing I wish was the "Film vs Digital" thing would drop. Both have there avantages and disadvantages, if you like using one or the other or both then fine

And as for the Zuiko 35mmf2

When I got my OM4 I did some research and got it with a Zuiko 35mm F2 lens which I use as my standard lens (did not get a 50mm one for about 15+ years) and like Nigel I love it. I think it is sharp and I love the contrast from that lens and having scanned old images at 4000dpi I think it is sharp.

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.