Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 21st September 2014

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
Filter System Advice.

If and this is a big if at the moment, I were to invest in a Lee filter system which one should I choose?
The Lee Seven5 system it appears was designed specifically for MFT compact system cameras.
The larger Lee system is designed for DSLR's with larger format sensors.
I would use the filters mainly on my E-M1 but would like to think it could be used on my E-5 or my Wife's Nikon D7000 if possible
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

***Steve***

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 21st September 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Filter System Advice.

Don't forget the Formatt Hitech systems. Their smaller system should suit. And both Lee and Hitech "small" filters should be effective on the E5 as it's the same sensor size as m4/3. Hitech is less expensive but in real-world terms just as good.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
paullus (21st September 2014)
Old 21st September 2014

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

I have used Seven5 ND and Grad filters on a 4/3 14-50mm lens with a 72mm filter diameter with no problems, though the polariser begins to cause vignetting if the lens is set wider than about 20mm. The rubber lens hood and polarizer together are unusable beyond (wider than) 30mm unless you are aiming for the tunnel look.

On the m4/3 12-40mm Olympus Pro lens, there is evidence of vignetting at 12mm, but only in the top left corner, very slightly. The rubber lens hood intrudes at lengths wider than 20mm if not folded back.

Again on micro 4/3, there is a faint trace of vignetting in the top left corner of the image when using the polariser at 10mm or wider (9-18mm lens) and the lens hood is intrusive beyond 16mm, unless folded back, when vignetting is not apparent until 11mm.

Clearly these are not exhaustive tests and your mileage may vary, but on the whole I would say that Seven5 filters are eminently useable on lenses up to 72mm across the range, though the polariser might not meet every requirement.

My own experience with HiTech was not a happy one since I thought them poorly designed and awkward to use, but admit that this was an entirely personal response not borne out by their reviews.
Old 21st September 2014

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Evening,

As I had Lee filters including the Big Stopper before I got the E-pl5, used and still used on the E5 and as I can`t justify buying again I am using the 100mm filters on my E-pl5 with the appropiate filter ring to fit the lens. It may look a little large on the end of the 12-50 but it does the job and keep some money in my pocket. to me best of both setups

Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Grego For This Useful Post:
Old 21st September 2014

Liked 176 Times in 58 Posts

Steve, I'm another Hitech user. I have the 85mm filters and Hitech modular holder for use on my E-5. For 90+% of the time this combo is fine but I do suffer vignetting at 9-10mm when using my 9-18mm (my holder is set up to take a grad in the front slot and a 'big stopper' in the rear, thicker slot). If I was starting again I would purchase the 100mm set for this reason. Another option would be to use a single slot filter holder for extreme wide angle work but this could be limiting. I doubt that the Lee 7-5 system would work too well on your E-5 if you want to go wide angle.

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoates/
The Following User Says Thank You to stoates For This Useful Post:
paullus (22nd September 2014)
Old 22nd September 2014

Thanks for the help so far. For anyone wondering why Lee filters cost what they do then this video helps to explain why.

http://petapixel.com/2012/05/08/a-be...-a-lee-filter/

I'm starting to lean towards the 85 or 100mm Formatt-Hitech range though. Just deliberating over which size.

***Steve***

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 25th September 2014

I've chosen the Formatt Hitech 85mm system: alloy modular holder, Pro-Stop ND10 filter, 95mm accessory ring and the 95mm Sigma CPL courtesy of Simon B.
I weighed it all up and decided I will be using the filters primarily on my EM-1 rather than the E5.
The E5 is causing me some soul searching at the moment. My brain says sell but my heart is reluctant to let it go.

I think it is worth mentioning that there are lots of reviews and opinions on Formatt Hitech and Lee Filter systems. Some of these reviews are quite old and place Lee far ahead of the field. However it seems the Formatt Hitech have really upped their game and listened to what was being said. For instance I read in early reviews that the front accessory ring was actually made of plastic which drew some criticism with regard to quality and robustness of the filter thread. This has been addressed and the accessory ring is now made from aluminium of the same high quality of the modular filter holder. According to other reports similar improvements have been made in Formatt Hitech's filters too.
Anyway, you pays your money and takes your choice

***Steve***

Old 25th September 2014

Steve, I wish you well with your new Hitech set-up.

I would be interested, if you ever get the chance, to hear at what focal length you experience vignetting with the CPL in place when using your E-5. I have a slim CPL (or UV) filter fitted to the front of the lens and was wondering if removing this and using the front-fitted CPL when using extreme wide angle would improve my vignetting issues.

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

Old 28th November 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been using Lee seven system now for a few months. Previous had Hitech. Lee is so much better...colour cast with Hitech was not acceptable. New Hitech filters only slightly cheaper than Lee. You get what you pay for!
Old 28th November 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Welcome, Francesca. I must say I've not experienced any colour cast problems with HiTech, though I'm not denying Lee should be better.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 28th November 2014

Hello Francesca and welcome to our group.
I have to say I've had no problems with the latest version of Hitech filters I have bought. Formatt Hitech simply had to address the colour cast issues found with their earlier products or risk going out of business. What's more their customer service is second to none.

***Steve***

Old 28th November 2014

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts

I have both systems, as I got a good price on the Seven5 system, it certainly convenient to slip in your pocket & travel bag, however I sometimes prefer to use the Lee 100mm system which is actually no problem on the M4/3 system.

If you want to use the filters on both the Nikon & M4/3 then you will need the Lee 100mm system. I have to say I have never been disappointed with the Lee system.
Old 29th November 2014

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

Stephen, it's all relative, I've seen reports of green and magenta casts with Lee filters.

A couple of decades ago prior to getting my ND grads I borrowed a photo labs colour analyser to measure how neutral the ND grads available in those days were. I ended up using a set of Hitech and one Cokin Grey grad.

David M's Photoblog
Old 5th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoates View Post
Steve, I wish you well with your new Hitech set-up.

I would be interested, if you ever get the chance, to hear at what focal length you experience vignetting with the CPL in place when using your E-5. I have a slim CPL (or UV) filter fitted to the front of the lens and was wondering if removing this and using the front-fitted CPL when using extreme wide angle would improve my vignetting issues.

Hi Steve.
I apologise for not responding to your request sooner. So this morning with my E-M1 with 12-40mm fitted set to AP @ f9.0 and the lens set at 12mm I took four very boring shots which will hopefully answer your question.
My 12-40mm is usually fitted with an Olympus PRF-D62 Pro protection filter. The Hitech modular holder is fitted with one standard filter guide and one standard filter guide with spacer to accommodate the Pro-Stop ND filters which have sealing gaskets.
The pictures are below:

1. Bare lens, no protection filter fitted. No vignetting.

2. Protection filter fitted. No vignetting.

3. No protection filter and Hitech filter holder with front mounted 95mm CPL. Some vignetting.

4. Protection filter fitted and Hitech filter holder with front mounted 95mm CPL. Obvious vignetting.

I hope you find these useful. Oh and I've straightened the picture frames up now

***Steve***

Old 5th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullus View Post
Hi Steve.
I apologise for not responding to your request sooner. So this morning with my E-M1 with 12-40mm fitted set to AP @ f9.0 and the lens set at 12mm I took four very boring shots which will hopefully answer your question.
My 12-40mm is usually fitted with an Olympus PRF-D62 Pro protection filter. The Hitech modular holder is fitted with one standard filter guide and one standard filter guide with spacer to accommodate the Pro-Stop ND filters which have sealing gaskets.
The pictures are below:

I hope you find these useful. Oh and I've straightened the picture frames up now

***Steve***
Steve, many thanks for doing this. The amount of vignetting in 3 is similar to that which I experience with my current set-up so it appears that I would be no better or worse off changing to a front mounted CPL with regards to vignetting issues. I have recently come across some evidence which suggests the CPL should be the furthest forward when stacking filters so I may still be tempted to change on that basis. Just need to find a 95mm CPL at a reasonable price - don't suppose Simon B has another unwanted one lying around?