Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd April 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
The Suffragettes

Ealier this morning I caught the tail end of a radio program about the Suffragette Movement. What amazes me is not how long it took to achieve the vote for women, but that it was ever considered acceptable on any level that they should not have the vote to start with.

We have many proud traditions and a rich heritage in this country, but we also have a social history of jaw-dropping injustices that should make us deeply ashamed. I wonder how many of today's apparently acceptable but nevertheless deeply questionable practices will be regarded with a sense of shame, guilt and incredulity by future generations?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd April 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: The Suffragettes

Some of the expectations by today's gentry towards their workers leaves much to be desired. Sometimes I don't think we've moved on at all. And I speak from bitter experience of my last employers.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (2nd April 2014)
Old 2nd April 2014

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

Things haven't changed much since then, just take a look how the British Army and Govenment have treated the loyalty shown by the Gurkhas who have been fighting to keep our nation safe for the last 200 years and the way they have been treated is disgusting regarding pensions and pay.

The powers that be and those before them should stand up each and all and do "The Right Thing" all this talk from MP's regarding what I often hear referred to as "My Moral Compass" these guys and girls wouldn't know what a moral compass is if it bit them on the butt. Sorry I'm ranting on about this, but sometimes I wish the MP's would show some backbone like the Gurkhas have done for us for the last 200 years.

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
The Following User Says Thank You to tomphotofx For This Useful Post:
crimbo (5th April 2014)
Old 2nd April 2014

Liked 74 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomphotofx View Post
Things haven't changed much since then, just take a look how the British Army and Govenment have treated the loyalty shown by the Gurkhas who have been fighting to keep our nation safe for the last 200 years and the way they have been treated is disgusting regarding pensions and pay.

The powers that be and those before them should stand up each and all and do "The Right Thing" all this talk from MP's regarding what I often hear referred to as "My Moral Compass" these guys and girls wouldn't know what a moral compass is if it bit them on the butt. Sorry I'm ranting on about this, but sometimes I wish the MP's would show some backbone like the Gurkhas have done for us for the last 200 years.

B---y well said! My late Uncle was a Chindit and fought alongside Gurkhas in Burma. The day before I joined the RAF he gave me some advice "never pick a fight with a Gurkha" needless to say I didn't as I never had cause or want to. Brilliant Soldiers "Loyalist of the loyal, bravest of the brave!"

I was priveleged to rub shoulders with some of them at the opening of the Far East Campaign display at Duxford where some of my Uncles posessions are on display, along with his photograph.
Old 2nd April 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomphotofx View Post

I thoroughly agree, this is exactly the type of issue I would not want future generations to feel ashamed of - shame which we should be feeling now, an iniquity we should be righting now.

Also agree about the much overused "moral compass" clichê. It may have been original and meaningful once, but it certainly isn't now. If I ever hear a politician use that phrase in my earshot he is likely to be stooping South for a very long time!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd April 2014

Thanked 1,129 Times in 706 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

As an ex RAF wallah I too can vouch for the Gurkha. In the 60's in Malaya, stuck in the middle of nowhere, one of our chaps disapeared, which resulted in a Gurkha call-out in the early hours. They found him up a tree completly rat-ar$$ed sleeping it off. I'm quite sure that, given the rules and regs of the day, that had this incident involved any other unit, the crap would have hit the fan. Fortunately, their commander, decided that 'they' needed a night search execise which saved a possible Court Martial.

With 26 Victoria Crosses awarded since their qualifying year 1911, they deserved better from our Government.

To quote: "If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or he is a Gurkha." aayi Gurkhali.

As for our so-called right honourable leaders, the bigger the needle the better to stick it where the sun don't shine.

For morals and honourable read immoral and dis-honourable, both of which seem to be in abundance from recent reports.

To mis-quote... 'Think not what you can do for your country, think what I can do for me, me, me?'

Bottom line, the fact that Help for Heroes is a charity say's it all.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (2nd April 2014)
Old 2nd April 2014

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts

They are still fighting in many places today, during the 60's my Aunt was the TUC spokeswoman for women rights, she just wanted some simple things like equal pay, equal education, equal opportunities for promotion, getting mortgages. Still far from being achieved in many cases.
Old 2nd April 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
They are still fighting in many places today, during the 60's my Aunt was the TUC spokeswoman for women rights, she just wanted some simple things like equal pay, equal education, equal opportunities for promotion, getting mortgages. Still far from being achieved in many cases.
Some years ago my father-in-law started a new job and was trained by a lady who was later to become his partner. Right from the start he was paid more than her!

Old 4th April 2014

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,979 Posts

Not to mention the fearless Polish RAF pilots but for whom the Battle of Britain would almost have certainly been lost. And after the war they were denied recognition and were excluded from the victory march.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill