Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 9th October 2013

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
E620 Live View.

Sorry for hijacking the camera forum whilst everyone (including me) is taken with all things EM1 but something is awry with my 620's live view. In basic technical terms, it doesn't work!
When I first switch on the camera, the monitor will display the welcome screen, date etc as usual but after a second or 2 it fades way. If I select the live view function, the monitor lightens in tone slightly but is completely blank. However, I can't see anything through the viewfinder, which is what I would expect when live view is selected. In addition, and this is the main problem, the menu is not displayed when selected. Which, of course, means that I can't use any menu functions, the self timer, change the white balance or anything at all apart from going from Aperture priority to shutter priority. I hope that I have explained the problem sufficiently.
Has anyone else had something similar happen? Or any suggestions for repair, perhaps one that doesn't require a sharp intake of breath first... The 620 is about 4 years old so it might be border-line as to whether it is economically viable to repair a camera that I picked up for under 500 when new but it is by some margin a fine camera in all respects for my humble needs.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Lee.
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 866 Times in 242 Posts
Re: E620 Live View.

I'm don't think this sounds very promising; I presume you haven't caught the info button?
You could try a full reset of the camera:
Open the card door.
Turn on the camera.
Press the Menu and OK buttons together and release.
Press and hold the Menu and OK buttons again for more than 3 sec until the reset screen appears.
The reset screen will be displayed.
Press OK to reset or turn the camera off to cancel.
Good luck!

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to IainMacD For This Useful Post:
Lee (9th October 2013)
Old 9th October 2013

Thanks Iain. No accidental button touching that I'm aware of certainly. I'll give this a go, I hadn't considered a reset to be honest, so that's at least something. And most definitely better than nothing!
The battery is being charged at the moment, so I'll try it just as soon as I can.
Thanks again.
Old 10th October 2013

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi lee,

Just letting you know I had the same problem with my E600 about 18 months ago and as it's basically the same camera I thought I would let you know the outcome.
Luton Cameras had it for a time and eventually the managed to get it to do the fault.
The cost of repair I believe if my memory is working was about 180.
This is my eyes was to much.
Just wrote the body off.
Hope this helps and if you want to know more like letting Luton have your camera I will try and get some dates when they had it so they may have a start up with the fault, which may help with the cost.
Have you looked a replacement E620 price

Hope this helps

Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Grego For This Useful Post:
Lee (10th October 2013)
Old 10th October 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Lee - slightly confused from your initial post; is this a 'live view' issue or is it the LCD in all modes?

The obvious good news is that you can pick up your choice of E body for not much more than the price of a repair right now; more supply related than underlying value!
The Following User Says Thank You to photo_owl For This Useful Post:
Lee (11th October 2013)
Old 10th October 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Sounds like the printed circuit to the screen is at fault, a problem best left to the experts as quite high electrical current is involved.
Lee (11th October 2013)
Old 10th October 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd agree probably best left to a repair centre if the reset doesn't work but I'd be very surprised if the current involved was more than a couple of mA.

Good old fashioned CRT (Cathode Ray Tubes) were the ones to be careful with, as these things required very high voltage which remained stored even after external power was removed.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcwill For This Useful Post:
Lee (11th October 2013)
Old 10th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Grego View Post
Hi lee,

Just letting you know I had the same problem with my E600 about 18 months ago and as it's basically the same camera I thought I would let you know the outcome.
Luton Cameras had it for a time and eventually the managed to get it to do the fault.
The cost of repair I believe if my memory is working was about 180.
This is my eyes was to much.
Just wrote the body off.
Hope this helps and if you want to know more like letting Luton have your camera I will try and get some dates when they had it so they may have a start up with the fault, which may help with the cost.
Have you looked a replacement E620 price

Hope this helps

Ian

Ian (and indeed everyone else) thank you for your responses.
I tried the custom reset without success so I'm now at the 'looking for a repair' stage. I have previously read favourable reports for Luton Cameras on the forum so I may well get in touch with them. It would be a bit of a shame to scrap my lightly-used 620 if the repair is reasonably straight forward, but obviously I won't know until someone who knows about the dark arts looks at it. It's certainly something that's way beyond my repair kit of a hammer and a bent screwdriver!
Cost-wise, I suspect that I could get a used 620 for similar money but of course I know the history of mine.
Thank you all again.
Old 10th October 2013

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Lee!

From your description I'm not quite sure if it is the back-light which fades after a couple of seconds, or the information on the screen which fades away. If it is the backlight it is probably a capacitor in the electro-luminescent panel driver circuit which has gone, which is probably most easily cured by having a new screen fitted (they do show up on ebay from time to time, but you may have to wait for them to come from hong kong.) If the light is on but no information is showing (Ie screen is slightly brighter than if it is switched off) then the problem is with something else - because you say it fades away I don't think it could be a firmware issue as it would more than likely just loose the information immediately after the welcome screen and hang.

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
Lee (11th October 2013)
Old 11th October 2013

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Lee!

I'm not sure if the E-600 LCD panel is the same as the one on yours, but they have them on Ebay at 19 delivered on this listing 200775058158.
I'm sure the vendor would be able to answer that. Whether you would want to take a risk and try it yourself is another matter.

Failing that there is also an e-620 from a camera dealer (SRS microsystems who have been highly praised on this forum) with 12 months warrentee on at 199 on this listing :- 190926518833

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
Lee (11th October 2013)
Old 11th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Lee!

From your description I'm not quite sure if it is the back-light which fades after a couple of seconds, or the information on the screen which fades away. If it is the backlight it is probably a capacitor in the electro-luminescent panel driver circuit which has gone, which is probably most easily cured by having a new screen fitted (they do show up on ebay from time to time, but you may have to wait for them to come from hong kong.) If the light is on but no information is showing (Ie screen is slightly brighter than if it is switched off) then the problem is with something else - because you say it fades away I don't think it could be a firmware issue as it would more than likely just loose the information immediately after the welcome screen and hang.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Thank you for your very informative reply Ralph. It's actually a bit of both that you describe, in that the information on the screen disappears as the screen fades. But, I suppse that it IS the light in/on screen itself in that case.
I've contacted a couple of camera repair places and they state, understandably, that it is difficult to give a price without seeing it first... It might still boil down to it being more of a sensible option to get a new camera. Just as Olympus launch, well, a new camera!
Thank you very much, Ralph, and everyone else.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 1st May 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone has ever to to the root of this problem as my E-620 seems to have developed the same symptoms.

While shooting in any mode, the screen will fade out. once this happens live view is not possible and picture review does not work.

Changing the mode dial seems to bring the screen back temporarily, but again it fades.
Switching off and On also brings it back for a short while.

I think it must be something electrical as having a tripod shoe attached seem to make it worst. As soon as the screw is tighten the screen goes.

From the previous responses I'm fearing the worst as a repair would most likely be uneconomical.

Currently the camera is usable, just sometimes its very annoying, But for now may just have to live with it.

I have tried a hard reset, but as soon as i press the 2 buttons together the screen goes so don't get the confirmation message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 1st May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu_zz2020 View Post
Hello,

Just wondered if anyone has ever to to the root of this problem as my E-620 seems to have developed the same symptoms.

While shooting in any mode, the screen will fade out. once this happens live view is not possible and picture review does not work.

Changing the mode dial seems to bring the screen back temporarily, but again it fades.
Switching off and On also brings it back for a short while.

I think it must be something electrical as having a tripod shoe attached seem to make it worst. As soon as the screw is tighten the screen goes.

From the previous responses I'm fearing the worst as a repair would most likely be uneconomical.

Currently the camera is usable, just sometimes its very annoying, But for now may just have to live with it.

I have tried a hard reset, but as soon as i press the 2 buttons together the screen goes so don't get the confirmation message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I posted the original query for my 620 and it sounds very much as though your's is doing the same, alas. I never did get to the bottom of the problem as I suspected that the cost of a repair would be in excess of what the camera, much as I like it, would be realistically worth. Also, I was due to go away for a few days and I decided to take the 620 before getting it repaired as it was still usable, albeit not with its full range of options. I then saw a rather nice E30 on sale from a forum member and bought that as a replacement.
Whilst I was away, and the E30 was winging its way to my house, the 620's screen came back to life! I don't want to tempt fate and say that it has missed a beat since but.... well, it still seems to be going strong.
Strange that we should both have the same problem. I had a scout around on the internet and found a couple of references to similar problems with the 620 but nothing conclusive.
I hope that you manage to have the same outcome as me. Perhaps not the buying a second camera as an ultimately unneeded replacement bit!
Cheers,
Lee.