Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 7th September 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FL-600R - LED light use?

Hi all, I wonder if any users who have the new Oly flash with the video LED light have used it as a continuous source to estimate / guide where the strobe illumination will hit?

Also, is the LED/video light controllable on the newer camera's like the OM-D in the same way the older flash heads power and TTL controls are?

Thanks

OM-D E-M5 and lots of other things to to bash into it in the bag (usually a Billingham Hadley Pro)
Old 7th September 2013

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
FL-600R - LED light use?

II have the FL600r and I have not managed to figure out how to use the LED other than see it blink when paired with the OMD. I do wonder if it might come in for close work or even macro. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I do share an interest in the answers you may get.

Best wishes
Old 7th September 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: FL-600R - LED light use?

That's interesting - nothing in the instructions to say how to set up the video light - when you look at it on the Olympus website that's the biggest feature they highlight!

Can anyone else help us out with both these questions - 1) How do you switch it on? 2) Is it any use?

Thanks

OM-D E-M5 and lots of other things to to bash into it in the bag (usually a Billingham Hadley Pro)
Old 8th September 2013

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
FL-600R - LED light use?

Ok, just had a play, power up, press mode on the dial, left arrow until the blinking cursor is in the LED light box, press up cursor to cycle through the LED options, I selected m for manual and then pressed ok. You can switch off and on as desired using the right arrow on the control dial. It's simple but no idea why the manual is so unclear.

G
Old 30th September 2013

Liked 2,407 Times in 1,586 Posts

I think the LED is intended for video work rather than stills. It might also be used as a focusing light.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1st October 2013

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I agree, but I tend not to do video much and wondered how useful having an led would be. I read a blog suggesting that the led is an alternative to flash and handy for macro. I have yet to give it a whirl but the light seemed to be good enough to give low light photos a boost.