Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 17th May 2013

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts
Derwent Dams fly past

Here's my summary of the day.
Decided to get up early and try to get some sunrise shots over the dams plus that would hopefully mean I'd get a car park space. Planed a route that was a bit longer but mainly motorway and so easy to drive. Unfortunately I hadn't allowed for my old sat nav getting me hopelessly lost in Sheffield so sunrise was viewed through high rise buildings in Sheffield in my rear view mirror, so no images I'm afraid. It looked pretty good as well Anyway got close to the reservoirs and they were covered in a strip of eerie mist very atmospheric. A couple of Ladybower shots below.

As it was still early I got a parking space but as Ian said it was amazing how many people had camped out just anywhere to be there. Looked around for your car Ian but didn't see you so I took a walk to get my bearings and use the loo whilst there was no queue!

My first view of the dam was somewhat disappointing as the mist was very thick there. My fingers were firmly crossed at this point for the rest of the day. Here's a shot of the East tower just appearing through the mist.

Needn't have worried though as on the way back to my car for a breakfast sandwich this is what the dam looked like before the media vans took up residence.

Anyway after a coffee and sandwich and a little doze! I set off for a suitable viewpoint. That would appear to be around half way up the hill that everyone else scaled. Here's the view I got before the flypast having decided that my lack of fitness meant that a view of one tower only was good enough.

And here's the top of the hill, anyone spot themselves?

Then came the several hours wait for the main event. Time passed pretty quickly actually chatting to people as the hillside began to fill up. The togs next to me had driven down from Aberdeen that made me feel like a local. The overall atmosphere was brilliant the sun was shining and the occasional sounds of the brass band were wafting across the valley. Very poignant when they played the last post. I definitely had moist eyes for those that lost their lives on both sides.

So finally even though I been waiting for hours when the Spitfire turned up I didn't seem prepared (I'd left IS on) typical! and just shot randomly at too high a shutter speed and hoped for the best. Anyway here's what I got of the flypast overall better than I thought they were going to be but like others have said I too need more practice at aircraft.

They all looked like really low passes to me but I'm sure in reality they were a lot lower and being shot at from everywhere. Definitely an unbelievably brave feat of aviation history. Really glad I was able to see this commemoration event.
Old 17th May 2013

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,374 Times in 1,975 Posts
Re: Derwent Dams fly past

The valley certainly was a perfect setting for the flypast Phil, it enabled togs to take up positions above the aircraft. Yours is an excellent set regardless of the sat nav and camera technicalities you mention !

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
The Following User Says Thank You to pandora For This Useful Post:
Phill D (19th May 2013)
Old 17th May 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Thanks for sharing your day and pics with us, the only thing we miss is the sound of those RollsRoyce engines echoing off the hills.
Phill D (19th May 2013)
Old 18th May 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

You've got some great pictures of a very historic occasion. As a bonus, the first Ladybower in the mist shot is excellent too!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Phill D (19th May 2013)
Old 18th May 2013

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Phill,

Thanks for your view on the day what a great account. Very pleasing photos from a special day.

Would have been nice to have met again but I knew the chances were slim unless times were set.

All the best
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Grego For This Useful Post:
Phill D (19th May 2013)
Old 18th May 2013

Ian yes it was a shame to have missed you when we must have been so close. I looked around the car park next to the visitor centre that filled up pretty quickly but I didn't see your car. I should have got organised earlier but I only finally decided to go at the last minute and everything was a bit of a rush. On the way out the traffic looked so horrendous I was focussed on getting to the car and getting out and didn't think to look for your car. I agree it was a special day though, glad I made the effort to go in the end.
Old 18th May 2013

Thanks Mark yes there were loads of people well above the flying aircraft. They must have been flying at about 200 feet I guess maybe less. Not as low as they did on the actual raid though.

Imageryone the sound echoing across the valley was quite something. I did try a bit of video as well but haven't had time to have a look at it yet. It was with my wife's new camcorder that only came the day before so I was reading the instructions whilst waiting for the flypast. If it came out ok I'll try and post a clip.

John thanks, that first image was a bit of a opportunist shot and actually came out much better than I remember the actual scene looking. Made a big difference cropping it to a landscape view too as there was a lot of foreground clutter to get rid of. I did tweak it in elements to get better contrast, just auto adjust and contrast/brightness mainly so far as I'm just learning the programme.
Old 18th May 2013

Liked 89 Times in 29 Posts

And here's the top of the hill, anyone spot themselves?

Yes Hayley and I are she is stood in front of me wearing a Blue coat close to someone in Orange.
We also could hear the brass band playing and it was definitely one of those moments when the last post was played.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 18th May 2013

Great to see you in the end Derek. Are you number 8 from the top then?
I have a couple of others you might have got on as well if you are.
Old 18th May 2013

Liked 89 Times in 29 Posts

That's us Hayley had her Blue North Face coat so it stands out. We took chairs with us, so most of the time we would be out of site
You have captured the mood of the day very well. It's good to see different angles from the day.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 18th May 2013

Liked 1,684 Times in 1,084 Posts

Not to diminish the bravery and technical brilliance of the 'Dambusters' raid, but my understanding is that it didn't have a significant effect on German war production, as the dams were soon repaired (although the resources diverted to repair the dams would have had a 'knock-on' effect). I believe also that there was a great loss of life of Ukrainian women slave workers in a factory downstream of one of the dams. I guess nowadays it would be called 'collateral damage'.

Jim
Old 18th May 2013

How's this cropped shot Derek?
Old 18th May 2013

Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,450 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 925 Posts

Looks like you found a very good vantage point and some excellent pictures to show for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Phill D (19th May 2013)
Old 18th May 2013

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Thats a good set Phil, a day well spent. My favourite is definitely the 2nd reservoir shot, it's very good

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
The Following User Says Thank You to jdal For This Useful Post:
Phill D (19th May 2013)
Old 18th May 2013

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Hello Phil,
Great photos, thanks for sharing them with us, it must have been stunning watching those aircraft flying past at low level. The sound of the Merlin engine (and the Griffon in the PR Spitfire) never fails to make the hair on my neck stand up! I wish I could have been there on such a day to remember.
Regards Jim.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluegrass Jim For This Useful Post:
Phill D (19th May 2013)