Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 21st October 2012

Liked 379 Times in 111 Posts
The Lock Keeper

Not the best of weather today - dull and damp and very wet and muddy on the towpath but we needed the exercise so we ventured forth and headed west!

Not too far from home at the first lock we passed, we came face to beak with the lock keeper -

Taken with the E-30, 70-300mm.

Regards,
Ann1e
Old 21st October 2012

Liked 736 Times in 492 Posts
Re: The Lock Keeper

Nice one Ann1e. When I used to go boating we would see them all over the place, but never guarding a lock!

Ciao ... John
Old 21st October 2012

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

Absolutely wonderful Annie!

Can you say which lock you were at? I took this one in May 2010, on our month long marathon narrowboat cruise...I've never seen this behaviour by a heron before or since!

It was taken somewhere between the Globe at Linslade and Common Moor Lock at Croxley Green if my log book is accurate!

I wonder if it was the same bird? It let me get to within about three feet of it...I doubt I'll ever get as close to a heron! Normally I spot them as we cruse towards them and just as I've nailed focus, the buggers fly ahead of us for another hundred yards or so...bloody frustrating birds!

Janet

Edited to add - after closer inspection, no, it's not the same bird. Annie, yours appears to be ringed? I've never seen that on a heron before. Is it common to find ringed herons?

Old 21st October 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

Nice one, Anne. There must be something fishy going on around that lock!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st October 2012

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

Nice shot, looks like it has been ringed too?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
Old 21st October 2012

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

Yea timmy I thought so to was going to ask but you beat me to it.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 21st October 2012

Liked 866 Times in 242 Posts

Great shot - V sharp

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 21st October 2012
Floribunda

I like the shot too Ann1e. As well as enjoying seeing the heron, I really like the old, rusty bits of the lock structure.
They are great birds. I envy you being near that towpath, there always seems to be something to photograph!
Old 22nd October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Can you say which lock you were at?

It was taken somewhere between the Globe at Linslade and Common Moor Lock at Croxley Green if my log book is accurate!
You're spot on with the location, Janet - it is indeed between Linslade and Croxley. In fact it is Bushes Lock (No 50).

We retraced our steps today - it was an even duller day, pretty murky and getting more foggy the further we walked. This is a pic of the same lock I took today - you may remember it from your travels! Although it was dreary, it was warm and very still - hence some decent reflections!

Regards,
Ann1e
Old 22nd October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Edited to add - after closer inspection, no, it's not the same bird. Annie, yours appears to be ringed? I've never seen that on a heron before. Is it common to find ringed herons?
You mention that the bird appears to be ringed - this question was also raised in the replies of Tim and Ed. You're right, it definitely is ringed. It would appear that there is a ringing group at Tring which is only about five miles from this lock - probably less than that as the heron flies - so I guess that's where this bird was probably ringed. I did try to enlarge the image sufficiently to read the inscription but couldn't see enough to ascertain the number.

There is a blog on the internet written in 2005 which mentions that a birdwatcher in Tring had seen two ringed herons at Tring Reservoirs, one had been ringed at Wilstone (a village near Tring) in 1992 and the other at Earls Barton gravel pit in Northamptonshire in 1988, which made that heron 17 years old at the time.

Regards,
Ann1e
Old 22nd October 2012

Thank you John (Bikie), Janet, John (Zuiko), Tim, Ed, Iain and Lyn for looking in and commenting.

It is great to be so close to an area which is busy with wildlife (and people at weekends - we're not anti-social but just as you see something worth recording the chances are a group of cyclists belts past and disturbs whatever is the focus of our attention or a never ending stream of ramblers troops along! ).

Regards,
Ann1e
Old 22nd October 2012
Floribunda

I was really interested in your comment on the ringed heron that was reputed to be 17 years old Ann1e.
For the past 6 or so years we have had a pair of herons nesting every May/June in trees near our back fence. We discuss every year whether they could be the same pair or the youngsters returning to the area where they were born.
This year a pair arrived and their behaviour was unusually strange. They attempted to build a couple of nests in different trees, abandoning both. Then built a third nest and seemed to settle down to breed, only to disappear after sitting for a couple of weeks. We felt they looked like inept youngsters or perhaps decided to find a more upmarket neighborhood?
Old 23rd October 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

At this time of the year Herons sometimes assemble in large groups to sit on fences, I have seen 7 together, all evenly spaced, sitting on a fence at a local reserve. It was a bit misty and the whole scene appeared very sinister!

David