Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 3rd September 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Did I do a dumb thing?

Just sent (Friday) my 12-60 off to the reseller, in order to fund a 9-18. But am going through a spate of seller's regret. The lens (along with my beloved 620) is on a slow boat to Georgia, three thousand miles away, so it could be recalled. My only problem with the 12-60 was that it's just too big! My photo outings are always on foot or on a bicycle, and rather wish I'd bought (last year) the 14-54--I would have hung on to that. I bought the 12-60 used so didn't lose too much in reselling, and am looking forward to the 9-18, but am feeling rather dumb at the moment. I'm trying to downsize my kit a bit, trying to appreciate the SG lenses for their light weight and good optics, rather than chase the f2.8 HG lenses. (I do have the 50mm macro still.) Does any of this make sense?
Old 4th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
Re: Did I do a dumb thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
Just sent (Friday) my 12-60 off to the reseller, in order to fund a 9-18. But am going through a spate of seller's regret. The lens (along with my beloved 620) is on a slow boat to Georgia, three thousand miles away, so it could be recalled. My only problem with the 12-60 was that it's just too big! My photo outings are always on foot or on a bicycle, and rather wish I'd bought (last year) the 14-54--I would have hung on to that. I bought the 12-60 used so didn't lose too much in reselling, and am looking forward to the 9-18, but am feeling rather dumb at the moment. I'm trying to downsize my kit a bit, trying to appreciate the SG lenses for their light weight and good optics, rather than chase the f2.8 HG lenses. (I do have the 50mm macro still.) Does any of this make sense?
It makes sense to sell if you are finding it too big and heavy, but replacing it with a 9-18mm isn't really like for like. The 9-18mm is a smashing lens but only covers wide angle with no provision for the standard to short telephoto range. Do you already have a 14-42mm? If not, and if you can afford one, it would give great flexibility paired with the 9-18mm.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th September 2012

I didn't write all that very well, did I? the 9-18 isn't a replacement per se, just a new direction. I do have the 14-42, and the 40-150, like them both. I bought the 12-60 under the influence of an upgrade fever, but what I'm really enjoying is going sideways, through the SG lenses. I do, however, see a 14-54 in my future, perhaps just a MKI version, after the rainy season starts. It would look so nice on the E-1

p.s., John, I really like your signature line there, the quote from R. Doisneau
Zuiko (4th September 2012)
Old 4th September 2012

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Well I'm sure you'll have fun with the 9-18, just bought this lens off someone ( I can't remember who) on the group, though I'd not describe it as compact.

But of course the 14-54 is a must have lens, a versatile workhorse in the 4/3'rds armoury.

But you've got the ranges covered - so no obvious mistake.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 4th September 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Yes I think you are well covered and will have some cracking lenses, but would I have let the 12-60 go? Probably not, my Leica is a monster on the E-M5 and I have to tape up the knurled ring around the base to prevent it chafing my fingers, but it will be with me forever over-size or not.

David
Old 4th September 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I always preferred my 14-54 over my 12-60. The 12-60 is a great lens optically, but ergonomically it was not for me. Not so much weight as "fatness".

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 4th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

The 14-54mm really is a joy to use and you should get one with plenty of change to spare from the sale of your 12-60mm. It's not like you need the range of the 12-60mm, with the other lenses you have.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th September 2012

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts

I use the 14-54 on the E-M5 and it looks the part and delivers the goods. I never have complaints about it optically, also the Mk2 version will AF fast enough on m4/3.

I don't think it will go on holiday with us though, it's just too big.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 4th September 2012

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

I have a 14-42 and upgraded to the 14-54. Its baiscally my every day lens. My camera lives in my work bag just in case and this lens it strapped to it when it comes with me. Though the 14-42 is a cracking little lens, light weight and compact, the 14-54 oozes quality and whilst more bulky it is a far far superior lens.

I debated a 12-60, baulked at the price and comprimised with with a 14-54. More than happy with it. Best decision I have made with respect to camera kit. So fear not, but a 14-54 and pocket the extra cash
Old 4th September 2012

Thanks, all, for holding my hand during this difficult parting. The 12-60 was a wild fling, I guess. I'd always hoped to introduce it to a nice 50-200 swd, but I've since realized that would be a bit reckless. Not a cheap date, those swd lenses.