Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 14th July 2012

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts
Tilt 'n' shift lens

Does anyone know if there are any tilt 'n' shift lenses that can be used on the FT system? I've searched for OM legacy lens without success. Maybe some other brand with an adapter mounting bracket.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 14th July 2012

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Tilt 'n' shift lens

There are a few OM legacy lenses with Tilt 'n' shift, I think the widest is 28mm and it comes up on e-bay occaisionally at ridiculously high prices.

I suspect Image editing software has largely killed any impetus to make tilt 'n' shift for digital..

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 1,329 Times in 798 Posts

The legacy OM lenses were shift only and were 24mm and 35mm. There was a Canon FD tilt shift lens but I can't remember if it was 28mm or 35mm.

David M's Photoblog
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

If I remember correctly, the Olly version was shift only. Schineider do a PC lens in various lens mounts, (pretty sure not for 4/3rds) and there's another made by Hartbei ... The latter is about 3300 euros ... so your wallet is going to be seriously hammered! These prices obviously mean that the Olly Shift, is always going to go for really serious amounts of money, unless an absolute idiot (rare species!) is selling it.
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

Not that I am even considering buying one but I would like an opportunity to play with a shift lens. I am not particularly interested in the 'tilt' effect but would like to see the perspective correction made by a shift lens while photographing tall buildings from a relatively shallow angle etc. If one ever becomes available for the MFT system, I might be able to rent one.
Old 15th July 2012

Thanks folks. Just searched for Olympus shift lens and I see what you mean about the prices. Think I'll stick with Photoshop then Nick.

Steve.
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 1,341 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
Thanks folks. Just searched for Olympus shift lens and I see what you mean about the prices.
T'was ever thus. Back in my Nikon film days I bought the cheaper shift lens (35mm?) second hand. I think it was 350 even then. I hardly used it TBH, and sold it a while later.

A shift lens will always just be a shift lens, it doesn't do anything else.

There's a couple of alternative methods to get a building straight - I've used an ultra wide (9mm or 11mm Zuikos) to do the trick: Compose the picture in portrait, stand on a low wall to gain a bit of height if you can. Get the camera perfectly level (don't point it upwards) so the building looks straight in the viewfinder. OK, so now half the image is ground and may include your feet, that's ok, crop it off.

Or, as you say, straighten it up in Photoshop. This is easier but you can end up with straight but squat looking buildings. I often stretch the image vertically by 10% after perspective correction...

Pete

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 15th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Or, as you say, straighten it up in Photoshop. This is easier but you can end up with straight but squat looking buildings. I often stretch the image vertically by 10% after perspective correction...

Pete

Pete
Manipulating an image with software is very useful but no fun - anyone can do it. But trying various "legitinate' manoevres to improve perspective with just optical and mechanical means is more challenging but usually also more expensive.
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 1,329 Times in 798 Posts

I("s probably 20 years since I sold my OM shift lebses but didn"t regret it until starting to use the E-System.

David M's Photoblog
Old 15th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
There's a couple of alternative methods to get a building straight - I've used an ultra wide (9mm or 11mm Zuikos) to do the trick: Compose the picture in portrait, stand on a low wall to gain a bit of height if you can. Get the camera perfectly level (don't point it upwards) so the building looks straight in the viewfinder. OK, so now half the image is ground and may include your feet, that's ok, crop it off.
I have tried this with the 7-14mm Pete and as long as the lens is perfectly square on to the subject the results are superb, just crop off the bottom as you say. The angle of view of the lens @7mm is sufficient for small buildings and inside churches and cathedrals.

Steve
Old 15th July 2012

I have seen and understood the effect of a shift lens for years but am still unable to understand why people are so taken-up with the tilt effect. OK, so it moves the central perspective to highlight the area of interest but in almost every 'finished' product that I have seen on the web, there is a disproportionate amount of blurring of the "background" to the extent that the image looks unrealistic and almost cartoonish. Is it just me?

I would be grateful if some experts post some "before" and "after" pictures of the lens tilt effect and explain to me how and why the image has improved.

PS: There is a possibility that the tilt-effect pictures that I saw on the web were either taken through a Lensbaby type lens with selective focus or a digital effect via software. If anyone has examples of photos taken with a genuine tilt lens, please post them.
Old 20th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just to give some idea of price Nicholas Camera Company, [www.nicholascamera.com] of Camden High Street, NW1 are adertising the 24mm shift lens as "From 1695.00"
Definitely out of my price range, for once Photoshop is cheaper.
Old 20th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's some examples showing how the plane of focus can be changed.
Good for product shots, maybe interiors, where you want the plane of focus to follow the subject rather than to move the subject around to suit.
I don't think software can yet do it as well, though it comes close.

No adjustments (an expensive prime!)

Tilt Down

Tilt Left

Tilt Right
Old 21st July 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Good examples of tilting, but the same thing software-wise, become very problematical when you have objects overlaying each other - for instance, using back garden with multiple open-framed chairs (where you can see the background through them) spaced at different distances from the camera. To do that with software, you would need a number of identical 'sliced' images focused at different distances, including one shot of the background without the chairs present. (It's a bit like when taking ultra-DoF close-up shots of insects/flowers etc) and then via software, isolate each chair in it's respective sharp image, pasting this onto the background image, working from the back to the front distance-wise, to make a convincing image. The setting-up and image-editing would be incredibly time-consuming!
Old 21st July 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Another method, would be to buy one of the more expensive Lensbaby units, fit into it a larger format lens (eg: if camera was FF, use a 6x6cm format lens, if m4/3rds, a FF(35mm) lens) because to cover the amount of tilt, the optic has to be around double that of the sensor being used, to allow for the lens movement. Maybe the easiest type of lenses for this, would be enlarger lenses, because they are of very compact construction. A similar configuration/lens selection method could be used to construct a shift lens, though this would be far easier to 'build'. ... I'd be happy to pass on a more detailed description to anyone interested if they send me a private message, as i have constructed one of these in the past for a m4/3rds body.