Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 12th January 2012

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: My New Novel

Just my type of book; it's winging its way to my Kindle now!

Dave
Old 12th January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Dave, I hope you enjoy it.
Old 13th January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sigh, Wargeld & Others should be free by now, but it isn't yet. There is sometimes a delay in the price flipping. If you'd like a free copy, please curb your impatience until it's marked as free.
Old 13th January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ha, their ears must have been burning. It's free to download, now, so please do, and welcome.
Old 13th January 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Wargeld etc is free, I just tried to 'buy' it for nothing ... but I don't have a registered Kindle PC App.
Really I just wanted to read a few samples. Never mind, good luck Linda!

On topic ;
How many Amazon sales are you hoping for, it's an interesting topic in this digital age.
How many books along the line will start to net you actual money as an income?
When do you reckon to have the publishers make a print run?
Old 13th January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ulfric, you can download the Kindle Apps for nothing, which allows you to read Kindle books on your PC, and (I understand) Ipad and Blackberry. I got my Kindle for Xmas but had downloaded a friend's book beforehand (House of Silence by Linda Gillard). My hubby then meshed my app on my computer to my new Kindle (he's a technohero) which put all the books I had previously downloaded there to read.

I have no idea how thwe kindle sales will go. Obviously the more the better, and that includes theone which is free today. This is because the more which are downloaded in a short space of time, the higher my book will climb in the charts. Once it's in the top 100, people will notice it, and hopefully will buy both the free one and Death in Spigg's Wood.

People have said that even when their free book reverts to full -price, they still get sales. Perople have reported tho7usands of downloads, which would make me happy. But I remain sceptical.

I am making a little bit of money on DISW but it will be a long time before I break even on expenses when writing the novel, let alone start to make any money. People who are making massive proffits are the few lucky ones. Most people make pin money, I suspect. I'm afraid writing is like photgraphy in that respect. Outsiders expect a lot of money to be made but the reality for most is that it's a paying hobby, if you're lucky. For most I doubt it pays anything at all.

The benefit I have had is using my own photos on the covers. Otherwise I would have to pay someone else; another expense. Or put up with a generic one or Creative Commons photo, I suppose.

It might never make it into print. I'll see. If I do have it printed it will be a self indugence. Self-published print books have a bit of a reputation. Published authors who have been dropped by their publishers, or authors with books whose rights have reverted to them have put their books on Kindle, and that has given e-publishing much more respectablity than self-publishing or Print-on-demand or vanity publishing.

If I can draw the analogy with Zuiko's Last craft fair thread, that's roughly where I am just now. But if I get to the top 100 downloads, then I'll do much better. I hope. or that's the theory.

I'm now off to do a leaflet drop.
Old 13th January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm in the top 1000 ranked free books. That's good news. Hopefully shoppers will notice the book and download over the weekend.
Old 13th January 2012

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

Ulfric, it's dead easy to download Kindle for PC...I've been using it for ages.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000423913 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000423913

I'd love a real Kindle, but I suspect, given the fact that I'm accident prone, that it wouldn't last long! I much prefer the feel and smell of REAL books, but this is a great way of seeing stuff that would otherwise pass you by.

Janet

Old 13th January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for that, Janet.

I got a Kindle for Xmas and I'm very pleased with it. I also got a case for it, which is just as well as I'm a bit of a clot too. The weird thing is, you know how sometimes you look at a book edge on to see how far into it you are? I've found myself doing that. Doh. But I suppose that shows that subconsciously I've accepted it as a book and not electronic gadgetry.
Old 14th January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm chuffed to say that Death in Spigg's Wood made it's way into the UK Amazon top 100 paid police procedural list and that Wargeld & Other Stories made it to No 1 in Free Anthologies. It's dropped since then, though.

I bet it's all downhill from here unless there's a sudden flurry of people after a free collection of short stories.
Old 14th January 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Well, I downloaded both yesterday. Looking forward to reading them when I get chance!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 14th January 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGruchy View Post
... Self-published print books have a bit of a reputation. Published authors who have been dropped by their publishers, or authors with books whose rights have reverted to them have put their books on Kindle, and that has given e-publishing much more respectablity than self-publishing or Print-on-demand or vanity publishing.
That's very interesting, I can see the point of e-publishing rather than self for that 'credibility' issue.

Quote:
If I can draw the analogy with Zuiko's Last craft fair thread, that's roughly where I am just now. ..
You do not want one of my graphs.

I shall go get a Kindle app for my wife's computer then she can use it... then I'll buy your book.
Top ten here you come ...
Old 14th January 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,503 Times in 2,140 Posts

I can't seem to download the Kindle PC software for my computer, it may be part of the same problem that prevents me from downloading Adobe Flashplayer, which I'm managing without, but it does stop me from downloading copies of your books. Funny thing, my daughter originally wanted a Kindle for Christmas but changed her mind in favour of an MP3 player at the last moment.

Good luck with your promotion, Linda, sounds like it is going well.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 14th January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Zuiko. C'est la vie, I suppose. I'm not technically savvy enough to offer any suggestions. I get hubby to sort that side of things out.
Old 15th January 2012

Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Well, I downloaded both yesterday. Looking forward to reading them when I get chance!

Me too
Started reading spiggs wood - looks good