Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 23rd November 2010

Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
Warning postal scam

Confirmed by Royal mail: cards are being posted from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) stating that they were unable to deliver a parcel and contact 09066611911 DO NOT CALL this is a premium rate number you will be charged £315 to hear a recorded message - If you receive a card please contact Royal mail Fraud on 02072396655. Please pass this on to friends and family.
Old 23rd November 2010

Thanked 1,129 Times in 706 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts
Re: Warning postal scam

I see the ***** have resurfaced. Seems to happen around this time of year as they try to tempt the unwary.

Thanks for the heads-up -

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Last edited by Ian; 25th November 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 23rd November 2010

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh1960 View Post
Confirmed by Royal mail: cards are being posted from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) stating that they were unable to deliver a parcel and contact 09066611911 DO NOT CALL this is a premium rate number you will be charged £315 to hear a recorded message - If you receive a card please contact Royal mail Fraud on 02072396655. Please pass this on to friends and family.
This email warning has been circulated since the end of 2005. Recent submissions indicate that the warning is once again rapidly gaining momentum. The information in the message was mostly factual. However, the particular scam described in the message was shut down at the end of 2005 and the information is no longer relevant. The continued forwarding of this warning to others is now pointless and counterproductive.

PhonepayPlus (previously named "ICSTIS"), the UK's regulatory body for all premium rate charged telecommunications services, issued a statement denying any reoccurence of the scam in 2007 and then again in 2009. In response to renewed circulation of the warning in late 2010, PhonepayPlus again republished the statement, noting:

Postal scam chain email – PhonepayPlus’ statement
17/11/2010

PhonepayPlus, the phone-paid services regulator, is aware that a chain e-mail about an alleged postal scam is being circulated on the internet. The email refers to the Royal Mail, Trading Standards and ICSTIS (PhonepayPlus' former name).

PhonepayPlus appreciates that recipients of the email may want to find out more information about the alleged scam and has therefore issued the following statement:

* The chain email refers to a service (operating on 0906 6611911) that was shut down by PhonepayPlus (then ICSTIS) in December 2005.

* PhonepayPlus subsequently fined the company that was operating the service, Studio Telecom (based in Belize), £10,000.

* The service is NO LONGER running and has NOT been running since December 2005.

* You do NOT need to contact PhonepayPlus, or the Royal Mail, about this service as it was stopped almost four years ago.

* If you receive a copy of the email warning you about the alleged scam, please do NOT forward it to others. Instead, please forward this statement from PhonepayPlus.

* If you receive a delivery card through your letterbox which you do not believe is genuine and which asks you to dial a premium rate number, you can contact PhonepayPlus on 0800 500 212 (Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm) for further guidance.

* Please go to http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/output/FAQ.aspx for useful information about how to recognise phone-paid services and understand what they cost, and some simple tips to help you enjoy using services with confidence.

* For more detailed information about PhonepayPlus’ work, please visit www.phonepayplus.org.uk.

There is also no current warnings about this particular scam on either the Trading Standards website or the Royal Mail website.

In fact, as noted above, the phone numbers used in the scam were switched off by ICSTIS in December 2005 and Studio Telecom, the company responsible, was investigated and subsequently fined.

When the scam was operating around December 2005, many UK householders reported receiving a card, ostensibly from a package delivery business named "Parcel Delivery Services" or "PDS". The card advised recipients to phone a number provided in order to arrange delivery of a package, claimed to be a digital camera.

However the contact number was a premium rate line that was charged at £1.50 per minute. A disclaimer in very small print on the bottom of the card informed recipients that the contact number would be charged at a premium rate. Although the cards claimed to originate from Wrexham in the UK, the company responsible for this scam is actually based in Belize, Central America.

At the time the scam was operating, those who called the number were asked to answer a number of market research questions before being given a "security confirmation code" to claim their camera. Callers were therefore kept on the line for some time and charged at a rate of £1.50 per minute. Not surprisingly, none of those who lodged complaints about the scam ever received their digital camera.

Although the scam outlined in the message was true, the claim that an immediate £15 fee was charged as well as the per-minute cost was unfounded.

While this particular scam has now been terminated, premium rate phone fraud is not uncommon. People should watch for similar scams that attempt to trick them into making expensive, premium rate phone calls. Service providers and premium rate phone regulators such as PhonepayPlus will generally provide information to consumers about premium rate scams.

A real problem with emailed warning such as this is that they often continue to circulate for months or even years after the described threat has disappeared. They also tend to mutate as they travel, further diffusing the truth and relevance of the information they contain.

Before forwarding scam warnings, recipients should always check that the warning is genuine and current. False or outdated warning emails such as this one do nothing more than add to the clutter in our already junk-ridden inboxes and spread misinformation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photo_owl For This Useful Post:
StephenL (23rd November 2010), Wee man (23rd November 2010)
Old 23rd November 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
Before forwarding scam warnings, recipients should always check that the warning is genuine and current. False or outdated warning emails such as this one do nothing more than add to the clutter in our already junk-ridden inboxes and spread misinformation.
Thankgod there's someone else out there who checks out these scam warnings I thought I was the only one . I had this particular one last week and 10 seconds later read the same info you posted so it isn't hard or even time consuming to check. I gave up telling the guy who keeps sending these fake scams (or old as in this case) to check their validity before emailing everyone in his address book but he's either the most gullible person on earth or he gets a kick out of spamming peoples inbox .
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulE For This Useful Post:
Old 23rd November 2010

Thanked 1,129 Times in 706 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

I don't usually knock people for doing this as they think they are doing a good turn. I do agree though, about the spam element and to this end I normally use SCOPES to check the validity of what I receive. It would be nice if we were all 'experts' but alas, this isn't always the case.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 23rd November 2010
Administrator

Liked 546 Times in 294 Posts

I always recommend http://www.hoax-slayer.com/ for checking out any dodgy email warnings or offers before forwarding ... since I stated doing that about 5 years ago I've not found it necessary to forward any

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 23rd November 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

The easiest way to stop premium number scams for good would be to outlaw premium numbers. Even the legal ones have questionable ethics and are usually designed to make disproportional profits from the unwary. Who needs them?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd November 2010

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
The easiest way to stop premium number scams for good would be to outlaw premium numbers. Even the legal ones have questionable ethics and are usually designed to make disproportional profits from the unwary. Who needs them?
Amen John, my thoughts exactly

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 23rd November 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm bound to get this one at work AGAIN! some dips*** will email, everyone and their uncle BEFORE checking with IT first.
The worst culprits are Local council IT and the police IT, will they never learn?

It's amazing that people will enhance these scams, saying they know someone who's been caught out etc etc

as they say, one born every minute....
Old 25th November 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,755 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
There ought to be a mandatory free introduction message to all premium rate numbers that informs you how much you are letting yourself in for...

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 25th November 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
There ought to be a mandatory free introduction message to all premium rate numbers that informs you how much you are letting yourself in for...

Ian
That would do.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau