Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 20th October 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
It Only Takes A Minute, Girl

Despite my well-intentioned resolution, I left the house today without my E-PL1. It's no excuse but my daughter had a doctor's appointment and I was in a hurry. As you might guess, on the way home I saw numerous photo opportunities. In the high street there was the comical sight of two people desperately trying to load an implausibly large sofa into an impossibly small car and on the drive home there were any number of autumnal trees backlit by the low, late afternoon sun.

Once home, I was desperate to get out again with my camera but my wife reminded me that there wasn't much time before we were due to go out. "It'll only take a minute," I pleaded. As it happened my mini shoot took 29 minutes, from first shot to last, which I didn't think was too bad and at least I wasn't in trouble!

I'm now keeping my car keys with the camera!

All taken with Olympus E-PL1 and Panasonic 14-45mm lens. Comments welcome.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 20th October 2010

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts
Re: It Only Takes A Minute, Girl

I do enjoy seeing your handiwork John. They are all great shots but No1 is fantastic,the colours are absolutely brilliant.
Thanks for sharing

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 20th October 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,602 Times in 925 Posts
Question Re: It Only Takes A Minute, Girl

Care to share the setting you are useing to get these colours - Please

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 21st October 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Have to agree about the colours, particularly the last two.

Nice shots

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 21st October 2010
Administrator

Thanks Peter, Graham and Nick.

All were shot as JPEGs, at either ISO 200 or 400, some bracketed with exposure compensation, Auto White Balance, Natural picture mode, sRGB, Noise Filter off, Contrast 0, Saturation 0, Gradation normal, Sharpness -1. All had some pp to levels, contrast and sharpening. I lifted the exposure quite a bit for the last one, which introduced some noise in the blue sky - removed by gentle reduction in Dfine 2.0. Here are the unedited JPEGs (apart from resizing).

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Last edited by Zuiko; 21st October 2010 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Hit the submit button before I'd hardly started!
Old 21st October 2010

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Great set of pics John, No2 (big fan of back lighting) and no4 for it's simplicity do it for me, well done.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 21st October 2010
Tony B

I like the first and last especially. The inclusion of the moon is what lifts number 4.

Regards,
Tony
Old 21st October 2010

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

Number two for me...!

Like Paul, I'm a big fan of backlighting...I just don't carry it off quite so well as that!

Janet

Old 21st October 2010

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

Another vote for No.2 nice shots.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 21st October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi John
As you know I'm still learning to use my 520. I really like the way you've got the light coming through the trees keeping the highlights intact, is it the E-PL1 thats good at handling the highlights well, camera settings or pp as I've spent loads of time trying to find ways to improve the highlights coming through trees etc in camera ( I've improved ) but I still have to finish of in pp.
Just wondered if you find the micro 4/3 cameras handle highlights/shadows different to 4/3.

Bob
Old 21st October 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblad View Post
Hi John
As you know I'm still learning to use my 520. I really like the way you've got the light coming through the trees keeping the highlights intact, is it the E-PL1 thats good at handling the highlights well, camera settings or pp as I've spent loads of time trying to find ways to improve the highlights coming through trees etc in camera ( I've improved ) but I still have to finish of in pp.
Just wondered if you find the micro 4/3 cameras handle highlights/shadows different to 4/3.

Bob
Hi Bob, I haven't really noticed any difference between my E-PL1 and E-3 in handling this sort of light. The important thing is to bracket exposures and select the shot with the best compromise between highlights and shadows for processing when reviewing on the monitor. Obviously the sensor cannot retain all the detail in this situation so something will have to be sacrificed. In the case of the shot with the sun included I've let the sun itself burn out as I don't think the viewer would expect to see any detail there and selected an exposure that was a little dark but not so much that I couldn't lift a bit more detail out of the shadows where needed. It helps control flare and minimize the burnt out area if you partially obscure the sun with branches.

Generally for high contrast lighting I expose so that the histogram curve reaches almost to the right-hand edge of the scale. This helps ensure that detail in the highlights is preserved and can be darkened slightly in pp if necessary. That leaves the shadows to look after themselves but gives the best chance of being able to pull out a little more detail later in pp. If the shadows block up and can't be lifted so be it; it's better than having burnt out highlights.

Other ways to control a too extreme range of light include taking several different exposures on a tripod for blending in layers or tonemapping later, or using good old fashioned neutral density graduated filters at the time of shooting.

Old 21st October 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Hi Bob, I haven't really noticed any difference between my E-PL1 and E-3 in handling this sort of light. ......
Though the good thing about the E-PL1 is that the viewfinder lets you look straight at the sun without going blind, makes life a lot easier for sunward shots.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 21st October 2010

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Its number two for me John followed closely by 4.

Great advice too on how to handle the sun flare
Zuiko (22nd October 2010)
Old 22nd October 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Though the good thing about the E-PL1 is that the viewfinder lets you look straight at the sun without going blind, makes life a lot easier for sunward shots.

Nick
Yes, I realized as I was framing the shot. Until then it hadn't occured to me. Saves stopping down to f22 then pressing the DOF preview just to protect your eyes!

Old 22nd October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi John
Thanks for your reply you've given me a glimmer of hope, I was mainly using the shadow/highlight in playback to access the exposure. Your mention of using the camera histogram lead me to explore the camera more and I've found I can see a histogram in live view use it to set the exposure then switch off to use the viewfinder, I'll try it out over the weekend.

Thanks Bob