Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 20th August 2010

Liked 874 Times in 287 Posts
Re: Pleeeaaase! Is it coming soon?

Just remember - I'm first in the queue!

Regards. Barr1e
Old 20th August 2010

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

Well, we should at least provide a market, they just need to deliver!!

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 20th August 2010

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
I don't know, but that camera has better image quality than my E3 from what I've seen
Cathrine, you may be interested to know that I came from Pentax 'back' to Olympus.
Pentax make great gear and I really enjoyed my K20D which was later replaced by the excellent K-7, however I found Pentax zooms to be quite variable in quality, even their DA* range, having to concentrate on certain apertures in certain circumstances is no fun plus the slightly lethargic autofocus system can be frustrating. I will say that their primes are very nice but prime shooting is not my cup of tea.
Ultimately I missed the sheer optical quality of my Oly Pro zooms so I moved back.

For your info I had the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 and DA* 60-250 f/4 as well the kit WR zooms and some other primes for portrait work and macro.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr

Last edited by Greytop; 20th August 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 20th August 2010

Quote:
Well, we should at least provide a market, they just need to deliver!!

Just to add I am as eager as anyone to see what Olympus has dreamed up for the E-5.
No doubt I will very likely buy one but more than that I think Olympus has to reach out further than it's existing customer base with this camera. They have to appeal customers considering the 7D, D300s and K-7 successor (also rumoured for September).
The E-5 really does need to back a punch to surprise the competition and thus help cement the future of 4/3 system. Glass is definitely Oly's strength but a killer body, the odd new lens would begin to get peoples serious attention again (all IMHO)

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 20th August 2010

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Cathrine, you may be interested to know that I came from Pentax 'back' to Olympus.
I had a K-7 and the K-20 before that. Both wonderful cameras no doubt about it.... but (and for me there was a big 'but') if zooms are your lens of choice the Pentax glass doesn't match up to Olympus. At optimum aperture every thing may be fine but stray out of that range for one reason or another and you may have very soft corners or other image problems. I'm not saying Pentax glass is bad, it just doesn't match to Pro or Top Pro glass from Oly in my humble opinion. That is the main reason why I came back to Oly.
Now if you are talking primes then the story may of course be different

For your info I had the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 and DA* 60-250 f/4 as well the kit WR zooms and some other primes for portrait work and macro.
The lens my colleague uses that is my source of envy isn't a zoom but a prime, a Pentax 300mm 2.8 which wasn't even too expensive! It's lovely and sharp. He gets much better wildlife shots than I do with my E3 and ED50-200 SWD and EC14 teleconverter. You can definately see the difference in birds eyes etc. It's always the combination of camera and lens, pixels and glass quality. And a converter doesn't help... I would love to be able to afford the 300 mm 2.8 Olympus...

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 21st August 2010

Quote:
The lens my colleague uses that is my source of envy isn't a zoom but a prime, a Pentax 300mm 2.8 which wasn't even too expensive! It's lovely and sharp. He gets much better wildlife shots than I do with my E3 and ED50-200 SWD and EC14 teleconverter. You can definately see the difference in birds eyes etc. It's always the combination of camera and lens, pixels and glass quality. And a converter doesn't help... I would love to be able to afford the 300 mm 2.8 Olympus...
Yes Pentax certainly make some nice primes but as you have identified the Oly 300mm f/2.8 would be a much fairer comparison for image quality and speed.
The 300 f/2.8 your colleague is using is very likely to be the FA* 300 http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/p...FA300f2.8.html this lens is no longer manufactured but is available occasionally second hand. The current 300mm prime is the DA* f/4 version http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-...D%28IF%29_SDM/ with the SDM focus motor as opposed to screw drive technology used in the FA range. Perversely the older technology works better for focus speed with Pentax bodies, the newer SDM motor lenses are quiet but sadly rather slow.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 21st August 2010
Radar

Quote:
I would love to be able to afford the 300 mm 2.8 Olympus...
Amen! Would love to be able to use it for sports but I guess I have to sell more photos first
Old 21st August 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Im too concered about the future of Olympus, they seamed to have let the DSLR range slip lately and not releasing a high end model for such a long time is really worrying

For years I have stood up to canon and nikon owners who stand there and diss my olympus camera but im seriously thinking about selling up and purchasing a Canon7D or 5D mkii in October.

Im not thinking of switching because of tech, but buying lenses etc is meant to be an investment and if Olympus give up on the dslr range and concentrate on the micro range, we are all screwed, so I'd prefer to sell up now while I can

Problem is im sure im not the only one thinking like this, considering the amount of olympus kit being sold at the moment.
You are thinking exactly the same as me! The question I keep asking myself is even if Olympus do bring out a couple more 4/3 bodies can we then trust them to keep 4/3 going from there onwards? They really don`t help them selfs by their lack of communication to their loyal customer base!