Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 26th August 2019

Liked 3,325 Times in 1,792 Posts
FL-36R Battery Voltage Issue

Many months ago I started getting early battery exhausted warnings (green and yellow flashing in synchrony) from one of my units.

Published causes include overheating from too many discharges of the gun in rapid succession. The way I work precludes that.

I purchased another one and all seemed well. True, I have used flash much less in recent months so the opportunity for a problem was relatively rare.

Now that seasonal subjects have required high magnification and flash I have been getting frequent such warnings from more than one unit. I use enloop rechargeable cells and my newer one are "professional" grade.

I suspected a possible loss of charge but even cells still warm from full charging gave the problem after very few flashes, sometimes after just one.

There might be a voltage issue so I tried disposable AAs. problem solved. Perhaps as an aging effect, the guns were finding the 1.2V of the enloops to low.

Harold
Old 26th August 2019

Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts
Re: FL-36R Battery Voltage Issue

I also use Eneloops, a mix of the standard and the so called ‘Pro’ ones. I’ve got s set for flash but as I rarely use flash anyway they all get used in things like my binoculars and mice. I’ve noticed that although I try to keep them in pairs it’s usually one of the two that is quick to charge while another seems to take an age. Having seen your issues I will perhaps try to see if I can narrow down the slow chargers and see if there is a pattern. My charger has a test / discharge facility on one of the 4 banks so I’ll try running them past that once I’ve narrowed down suspect ones. Mine are probably over 5 years old so potentially well past their sell by date.
Old 26th August 2019

Liked 3,325 Times in 1,792 Posts
Re: FL-36R Battery Voltage Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
I also use Eneloops, a mix of the standard and the so called ĎProí ones. Iíve got s set for flash but as I rarely use flash anyway they all get used in things like my binoculars and mice. Iíve noticed that although I try to keep them in pairs itís usually one of the two that is quick to charge while another seems to take an age. Having seen your issues I will perhaps try to see if I can narrow down the slow chargers and see if there is a pattern. My charger has a test / discharge facility on one of the 4 banks so Iíll try running them past that once Iíve narrowed down suspect ones. Mine are probably over 5 years old so potentially well past their sell by date.
Tim,

I have no problem with, even years old, Eneloop AAs in my FL36R or my FL-50R. This problem is with AAAs.

I use only a "Smart" charger which checks each one and discharges/charges accordingly. It has 6 ports, used at random.

Harold