Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 15th December 2018

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts
Re: OMD EM1 Auto ISO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Mine functions okay, but I can't make up my mind whether I prefer auto ISO (with quite a narrow range: 200-640) or whether I prefer to alter it manually. I tend to avoid the little lever as I too often forget to return it into top position, so I use SCP to adjust it, which is a few more button presses. auto ISO sometimes seems to make the wrong compromises for my circumstances - e.g. if I have a static subject and steady support, I'd rather have a longer exposure than a higher ISO. But the camera can't know those things.
You can change the point at which the (auto)ISO starts to kick in. I agree that on both the mk1 & mk2 the default change point is too early.

For the mk2 go to Cog E1 -> ISO_Auto_Set. The default setting = 'Auto' but you can also select from a range of shutter speeds. I've set mine to 1/15sec, because this copes with a wide range of focal length lens (and is the point at which my hand-steadying competence becomes unreliable).

There is a similar setting on the Mk1 - though it is even more obscurely defined. As I recall, you need to change the flash slow limit speed to something like 1/30sec to achieve a similar effect (don't ask why it is that control ;-) )
A search on this forum should throw up some extra info about this.
Old 16th December 2018

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts
Re: OMD EM1 Auto ISO

Yes, I normally run my lower ss limit for autoISO during well-lit street photography around 1/250th to ensure things are properly sharp during everyday street activity. Consequently I do need to switch to a set ISO fairly early when the light is dimming and I'm going for a static shot.

I've got used to the forefinger-on-Fn2-and-a-quick-spin-of-the-dial approach.

It must be said, however, that t'internet gets ridiculously obsessed with low noise, and for street photography for the sort of use I give it (i.e. the most testing application is an A4 print with a modest crop for a club competition) I'm usually happy up to 3200 on the 1ii as long as it's exposed properly. Proper sharpness is enormously more important.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (16th December 2018)