Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 4th July 2009

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The size of the E-P1

So the E-P1 is touted as compact in size and less obstrusive to use. But without a 'proper' viewfinder, having to hold the camera at arms length will make the photographer more obvious that less obvious.
True or not?

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 4th July 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
Re: The size of the E-P1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
So the E-P1 is touted as compact in size and less obstrusive to use. But without a 'proper' viewfinder, having to hold the camera at arms length will make the photographer more obvious that less obvious.
True or not?
I completely understand what you're saying, but paradoxically I believe this is not true. You won't stand out as a "serious" photographer, you'll just blend in with all the other tourists taking meaningless snaps! Just think, if only Oly could find a way to fit a MFT sensor into a mobile phone!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th July 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,603 Times in 926 Posts
Lightbulb Re: The size of the E-P1

My limited "play time" with the PEN has left me wanting more and it's already on the list.
Even with my big hands it feels right. Using the screen to compose is easily overcome with a pair of 5 close-up specs from any Sunday Market / Boot Sale. Just push out the lens of which ever eye you don't use on a normal viewfinder (unless you are a one eye shut viewer).

Or you can buy a loupe attachment.

Or, and this is the accessory I want, get a Head Mounted Display , that the camera streams the live view too.

Which I will also be able to use on all my other cameras

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 4th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
My limited "play time" with the PEN has left me wanting more and it's already on the list.
Even with my big hands it feels right. Using the screen to compose is easily overcome with a pair of 5 close-up specs from any Sunday Market / Boot Sale. Just push out the lens of which ever eye you don't use on a normal viewfinder (unless you are a one eye shut viewer).

Or, and this is the accessory I want, get a Head Mounted Display , that the camera streams the live view too.

I'm very short sighted and when using a compact I simply peer over my glasses. I find the screen looks very sharp and clear when held about five inches from my eyes. It's almost like using a viewfinder!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th July 2009

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Well at least I could wear my glasses all the time rather then when I just want to review my images!
Zuiko, I see where you are coming from about blending in with the P & S brigade, but this would fall rather flat when using the E-P1 with one of the meatier ZD lenses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 4th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Well at least I could wear my glasses all the time rather then when I just want to review my images!
Zuiko, I see where you are coming from about blending in with the P & S brigade, but this would fall rather flat when using the E-P1 with one of the meatier ZD lenses!
Hi Dave,

I guess Micro Four Thirds means all thing to all people - I handn't considered using the E-P1 with long lenses. To me, it's a camera for small primes and compact zooms of modest focal range. To be honest, I think a small camera like the E-P1 with, say, a 50-200mm attached would look so unusual that it would be bound to attract attention - probably more so than if it was attached to an E3!